Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

For Christians. A question about the church.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Why do churches preach so heavily about being gay, but dont preach about other things like circumcision.... This is something in the NT that says we should NOT do.. Yet many Christians still do it, and many of them believe they should for biblical reasons..

Im not looking for a intact vs circ. argument, Ive read that post a'plenty... This is not about THAT.. It is about the CHURCH not preaching against something that many of its people are doing, if we should follow the bible, why not try to help Christians follow it better by teaching them what the Word says about circumcision?

Why does the church want to focus on something that is really a personal choice that an adult makes on their own (which may of us believe being gay is NOT a choice), but ignore what PARENTS are putting on their children..

http://www.udonet.com/circumcision/christian.html.

http://www.gci.org/law/circumcision

(Also I am Christian, so this is not a Christian Bash post. But we do not attend church often because we find most to not only teach against certain things- but teach hate towards them as well...)

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 21, 2013 at 3:20 PM
Replies (21-30):
chalisa0
by Ruby Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 5:12 PM

So, where does the bible say this?  Your first link is obvious anti-circ propaganda.  So I won't bother going to the 2nd.  Also, my church has never preached on either topic.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 21, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Um, I don't think I've ever heard a sermon preached on homosexuality. And, the bible doesn't say not to circumcise. Those sites you posted are a bunch of blabbering, out of context quotes and scriptures, etc. And I didn't circ my sons.

phoebe81
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 5:18 PM
1 mom liked this

I think you're slightly misinformed about the New Testament's stance on circumcision. Many believed that they had to do it in order to be saved so the apostles preached that circumcision gained them nothing and had nothing to do with salvation through Christ. We're not saved by our works, and the New Testament said if we think we can get into heaven by following the law of Moses, then we'd have to follow every single law, which is impossible. We'd fail. 

However, Timothy was a Greek and he got circumcised as an adult to give him credibility amongst the Jews as a preacher. What this tells me is that being circumcised or uncircumcised does not matter in the eyes of God. It is our intentions and what's in our hearts that matter. 

As far as your corelation between homosexuality and circ, you can cherry pick out of the Bible all you want and say "why..." to try and trip up the Church, but it will always be a waste of breath. Every church is different and filled with good people and bad. If you have a specific example of what you're talking about, then bring it up, but using generalizations is stupid because, as many others have said, my church has never preached against homosexuality or for/against circ. 

littlemoments99
by Gold Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 5:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't know if the sources you listed are good Christian sources but I can tell you that the Bible never says we can't or shouldn't circumcise. In the OT, the Jews were told to circumcise because it was cleaner for that time. In the NT, Paul states that if a man becomes a Christian he does not have to be circumcised just to become Christian. That's all he's saying. He never says, don't circumcise your boys. He is saying that God doesn't care one way or the other. That commandment was really just to keep the Jews clean. That's what a lot of the rules were about back then. Not eating pork, leaving the city if you were sick, all of that was because they didn't have a way to keep clean and sterilize things like we do now. 

The church never teaches hate. If you are getting that out of anything you are hearing, you are either going to a church that is either teaching it wrong or you don't understand the message. Being gay is wrong in God's eyes. There are many verses that talk about that. For one, God created a man and a woman to be together. That's the strongest argument because everything God created was perfect and good. Paul also speaks about people who are gay and call themselves Christians and how we are to tell them they are wrong. 

So, you need to reread what the Bible says about circumcision. It doesn't say what you think it does. It also states that homosexuality is a huge issue to God. God has been very clear about that sin and we are told to love everyone, but we cannot be accepting or supporting of a wrong lifestyle. I practice this everyday. I have a family member I love a lot. She is gay and although that changes nothing about how I feel about her, I don't support her lifestyle. I still help her out by watching her kids and she was one of the first family members I called when I found out I was pregnant. I love her a lot. I just will not go against God and support her wrong lifestyle. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 21, 2013 at 5:20 PM

The bible in the NT says DO NOT circ..... I think this is religious (but I could be wrong)....

If the bible did tell us to circ (like it does the Jews), would that change this thought?

I think a PARENT could use the bible not to vaccinate their child, but, good point there. I dont see the church getting into this.... But then again you cant down right search "vaccines" in the bible & get a clear answer...

As a Christian mom to a boy, I did lean on the Word to help guide me...

Quoting Leissaintexas:

The points you are making are from a religious perspective. People don't circ babies for religious reasons. (Unless you're Jewish). The church is not going to get into a medical debate about this procedure. Is the church going to get into vax/no vax debate? Or a drug vs herbal debate? No, because these aren't religious issues. Neither is circumcision. That's why you don't hear about this issue in the pulpit. I am a devout practicing, conservative Christian, and I've never used the bible as an argument for or against circ'ing.

B1Bomber
by Platinum Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 5:25 PM
1 mom liked this

If the question is "Why are churches cherry-picking their topics?" then my answer is "You are attending the wrong chuch."

Our church is a conservative, literal, Bible-believing church. I have heard sermons on many different topics and almost every book of the Bible. They are also a strong outreach church with much work in the community and a congregation of Christians who practice what they preach.

FYI - the New Testament doesn't have anything to say about whether the practice of circumcision is right or wrong. It says that the Jews requiring the Gentiles to be circumcised is wrong, that the new circumcision is of the heart, not the flesh. Whether Christians choose to circumcise is religiously irrelevent, as the only requirement for being a Christian is saving faith in Jesus.

SuDoNim
by Silver Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:15 AM

The NT does forbid circumcision; if you read the passages in their intended context, it is plain that Paul was saying that circumcision is not relevent under the new covenant. 

Quoting Anonymous:

The bible in the NT says DO NOT circ..... I think this is religious (but I could be wrong)....

If the bible did tell us to circ (like it does the Jews), would that change this thought?

I think a PARENT could use the bible not to vaccinate their child, but, good point there. I dont see the church getting into this.... But then again you cant down right search "vaccines" in the bible & get a clear answer...

As a Christian mom to a boy, I did lean on the Word to help guide me...

Quoting Leissaintexas:

The points you are making are from a religious perspective. People don't circ babies for religious reasons. (Unless you're Jewish). The church is not going to get into a medical debate about this procedure. Is the church going to get into vax/no vax debate? Or a drug vs herbal debate? No, because these aren't religious issues. Neither is circumcision. That's why you don't hear about this issue in the pulpit. I am a devout practicing, conservative Christian, and I've never used the bible as an argument for or against circ'ing.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:17 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

The church I attend does not preach against homosexuality anymore than it advocates circumcision. Matter of fact, I have never heard anything preached about either from their pulpit.

tharealty2
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:17 AM

I've never been to church that preached so much about homsexuality,. or one that taught hate so I don't know.

TranquilMind
by Ruby Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:22 AM

No, the New Testament does not in any way proscribe circumcision.  It simply says it isn't necessary to be a Christian believer the same way it was to be a Jew.  That's all.  It clearly reduces circumcision to an ancestral practice.  Get your facts straight.

'This is my rule in all the churches. Was anyone at the time of his call already circumcised? Let him not seek to remove the marks of circumcision. Was anyone at the time of his call uncircumcised? Let him not seek circumcision. Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing; but obeying the commandments of God is everything. Let each of you remain in the condition in which you were called.' (1 Cor. 7:17)

Homosexual behavior is still proscribed, as Romans 1 indicates, however. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)