Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

For Christians. A question about the church.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Why do churches preach so heavily about being gay, but dont preach about other things like circumcision.... This is something in the NT that says we should NOT do.. Yet many Christians still do it, and many of them believe they should for biblical reasons..

Im not looking for a intact vs circ. argument, Ive read that post a'plenty... This is not about THAT.. It is about the CHURCH not preaching against something that many of its people are doing, if we should follow the bible, why not try to help Christians follow it better by teaching them what the Word says about circumcision?

Why does the church want to focus on something that is really a personal choice that an adult makes on their own (which may of us believe being gay is NOT a choice), but ignore what PARENTS are putting on their children..

http://www.udonet.com/circumcision/christian.html.

http://www.gci.org/law/circumcision

(Also I am Christian, so this is not a Christian Bash post. But we do not attend church often because we find most to not only teach against certain things- but teach hate towards them as well...)

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 21, 2013 at 3:20 PM
Replies (31-40):
TurboMom81
Just finished watching "Heaven is for Real" What a sweet, beautiful movie!
Today at 1:18 AM
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:30 AM
These are laws. We are not to practice laws. Jesus came and freed us from the law. Read Galations. We are currently studying it at my church. Very powerful read.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TurboMom81
Just finished watching "Heaven is for Real" What a sweet, beautiful movie!
Today at 1:18 AM
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:35 AM
This is what I meant to say!

Quoting littlemoments99:

I don't know if the sources you listed are good Christian sources but I can tell you that the Bible never says we can't or shouldn't circumcise. In the OT, the Jews were told to circumcise because it was cleaner for that time. In the NT, Paul states that if a man becomes a Christian he does not have to be circumcised just to become Christian. That's all he's saying. He never says, don't circumcise your boys. He is saying that God doesn't care one way or the other. That commandment was really just to keep the Jews clean. That's what a lot of the rules were about back then. Not eating pork, leaving the city if you were sick, all of that was because they didn't have a way to keep clean and sterilize things like we do now. 

The church never teaches hate. If you are getting that out of anything you are hearing, you are either going to a church that is either teaching it wrong or you don't understand the message. Being gay is wrong in God's eyes. There are many verses that talk about that. For one, God created a man and a woman to be together. That's the strongest argument because everything God created was perfect and good. Paul also speaks about people who are gay and call themselves Christians and how we are to tell them they are wrong. 

So, you need to reread what the Bible says about circumcision. It doesn't say what you think it does. It also states that homosexuality is a huge issue to God. God has been very clear about that sin and we are told to love everyone, but we cannot be accepting or supporting of a wrong lifestyle. I practice this everyday. I have a family member I love a lot. She is gay and although that changes nothing about how I feel about her, I don't support her lifestyle. I still help her out by watching her kids and she was one of the first family members I called when I found out I was pregnant. I love her a lot. I just will not go against God and support her wrong lifestyle. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:36 AM

Because it is not a salvation issue. Most Church goers circumcise out of habit and ignorance, just like many church goers are hateful to unbelievers and "sinners" because its what the. "Christians" they know do. Very little actually comes from their own study and search for knowledge. I was the same. I just thought boys were supposed to be circumsised just like I thought babies were better off being born in a hospital with doctors and that induction was ok for non medical reasons. So my son is circumsised, but you can bet my next son won't be. 

SissyAnn141
by Gold Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:37 AM

Quoting Beautiful31mom:

our church has not spoke about either topic.

I think, you need to attend another "CHURCH".

JTnJT
by Silver Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:41 AM

I wish I knew exactly where it was at the moment, but I have a document from our church, that they gave me while pregnant with my son, it goes into detail, about the old laws and how the determination was made to advocate against circumcision for religious reasons.  I'm going to look for it, but may not get it posted until tomorrow.  I found it to be a very interesting read.   

As far as your question, I can't say that in our (nondenominational) church they've discussed in any detail either topic.  I know we have at least one "gay" couple who attend, so I'm assuming they must not frown too much on it.

banana-bear
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:43 AM
Honestly,I attended church for my entire childhood, as well as a few years in adulthood. I don't remember a single time homosexuality was the main message of the sermon. Any negativity I picked up about homosexuality came from my (grand)parents and the media.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:46 AM

What denomination of christian were the churches you visited? 

Quoting Anonymous:

Thats why we do not attend church very much.. We are in tx & so far 2 churches we have been to we have left feeling they are being judgemental.. 1 church Ive heard the preacher preach against gay people 3 times in a matter of about 2 months!! :-/ .... Me & DH friends go to this church, so at times DH end up going because its on the way to their fishing hole.

Leviticus is old testament...We are to follow new testament (which is what is quoted in the websites above)... So im not sure where your going with this.....

Quoting EntrepeneurMom:

In the bible it says hate the sin, not the sinner. If your church teaches hate then you're better off not attending. I have never experienced anything like that in mine, only love for everyone regardless of their choices.
Also you have to remember the books in the bible that outline those rules, such as Leviticus, were written for that era, in that era. It also says in the bible, that if your house gets mould somewhere you should tear it down and burn it, nowadays we'd pop to a DIY store for bleach spray. Some things were of that time and don't necessarily apply to us today.....

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:47 AM

I'm a Christian, but I'm afraid I can't answer your question, because I haven't been to a church in over ten years. I don't believe I have to go to church to believe in and have a relationship with God. I don't take the Bible literally, and honestly, a lot of other Christians drive me crazy.

TranquilMind
by Ruby Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:48 AM

I've never heard one either.  Sins are mentioned now and then, but with no specific emphasis.

Quoting Anonymous:

Um, I don't think I've ever heard a sermon preached on homosexuality. And, the bible doesn't say not to circumcise. Those sites you posted are a bunch of blabbering, out of context quotes and scriptures, etc. And I didn't circ my sons.

hunnybunny2001
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:50 AM
When I went to church they never focused on it..
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)