Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Breast feeding moms, come answer a question for me!!?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 55 Replies
Ok, this might sound silly but, I want to breast feed my baby, but I'm having some doubts.
I have a two year old that I attempted to breast feed, I failed and she went on formula.
She's a big girl, not over weight, but just big.

Every breast fed baby I've ever met is like crazy tinny.
So my question is, is your child smaller than most or bigger, or right on track?
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wolfybaby
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:26 PM

breast fed babies tend to be *leaner* than formula fed babies. my daughter is breast fed and is in the 75th percentile for both height and weight. how big they are doesnt matter [as long as they arent severely under weight or over weight].. 

Kellileanne
by Gold Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:26 PM

My first ended up on formula at 10 weeks and she was a tiny little thing (long & skinny).  Her little sister is breastfed and way bigger than she was.

Jcothrine
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:27 PM

my kids were either bigger or right on track......

i breastfed my oldest til he was 9 months old.....(had to go on some medication that he couldn't have) and he gained weight very well....and was always right on the charts for his weight and height..... he did end up being short (5'8") but i don't think breastfeeding had anything to do with that....

my second child was a preemie...but not a micropreemie..he was born at 35 1/2 weeks..he had to be in NICU for 2 weeks....he had a hole in his lungs and stuff..they wouldn't let me feed him for several days..nothing by mouth at all (i guess to prevent NEC?) and i had to pump...when he did start eating he was a natural born eater and he gained weight very well.. now he is 20 and he is 6'1" and weighs 230.. he was always at least on track for his age if not above average...

my third child i breastfed exclusively for 6 months (the others started solids sooner than him) and he gained weight very very well and grew taller very well and he is now about to turn 17 in April and he is 6' and weighs about 250....

so breastfed babies can do quite well in gaining weight and height..although i think there is a different chart for breastfed babies (mine did fine on the regular chart)....

JC

Toxic.Stardust
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:28 PM
Dd1 was mostly formula feed and she's around 35% for weight.

Dd2 is still breastfeeding and she's around the 70% for weight
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bowribbonmama
by Ruby Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:28 PM
When she was younger she was itty bitty. Now at the age of 2 she's right on track.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Isaacsmom913
by Platinum Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Just an FYI, my formula fed baby was 7lbs 7 oz at birth and at 18 months is 21 lbs 1 oz.  Way smaller than any breast fed baby I know :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Breastmilk has more fat & callories in it than formula. My baby is right on track if not alittle big. Join the breastfeeding group here & read the posts as often as possible. They will teach you soooooo much. Also read Kellymom.com.

mama.samm.2.3
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:31 PM
I breastfed all 3 of my girls. And after my twins got out of the NICU they chunked out fast lol. They were short for a long time though. But then they hit a growth spurt and have been tall and slender since then. My youngest was kinda chunky until about her 1st birthday. Then she shot up fast and is now tall and slender like her sisters.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ittyprincess604
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:31 PM
Idk my DS is 4. Breastfeed until 2. He doesn't look big to me. He's actually the smaller of my friends with kids the same age. But I'm small too so idk...
amberlyp
by Gold Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:32 PM
Mine is smaller. But that's where they should be. Formula fed babies eat far more than bf babies and even babies who are fed breastmilk from a bottle tend to eat more because the flow is faster and their tiny tummies don't register that they are full right away.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)