Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I don't want to invite my in laws to Easter lunch

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies

Here is why. Easter lunch has always been a thing my family has done since we were all little. Now all the kids are grown up and we take turns having it at each other's homes. This is my year. After church we all go to that person's home, do Easter egg hunts with the kids, have lunch and visit. As I have planned it, it will be me, dh our 2 kids, my mom, dad, my brother, his wife, their 3 kids and my sister and her fiance. So there will be 13 of us.

DH told his mom we were doing something at our home because she asked if we wanted to go out to lunch and now he said he thinks her feelings are hurt that we didn't invite them so he wants to invite her. The problem is, when we invite DH's parents, even if we tell them it's just them who are invited, DH's grown sister and her boyfriend at the time , aunt, uncle and cousins all come too. I don't want to cook for another 10 people and set out enough eggs for 4 more kids. I am the one cooking all the food, I am the one stuffing and hiding the eggs while DH never does anything to help with this stuff (I am a SAHM so I don't complain but I don't think it should be pushed into nearly doubling the party size).

I reminded DH how we always go to his family's things on Christmas Eve, I don't insist on inviting my family, my mom doesn't try to guilt me into inviting them. I just don't see why we have to include them in everything yet it is all fine and good to do stuff (like of Christmas Eve) without my family

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:39 PM

BUMP!

TheMrs407
by Emerald Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:40 PM
Just tell her you are doing Easter with your family. I think it's part of being married. You can't please everyone.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ilovemykids323
by Ruby Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:41 PM

sounds good to me... dont invite them. just make sure he understands why . i'd be afraid of him going behind my back and inviting them anyway but that wouldn't really work because then you wouldn't have any food. i wouldn't invite them though.

opal10161973
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:41 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with you.

Raeann11
by Ruby Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Then don't and let him know it is time for just your family and maybe suggest going out for dinner the day before or that night to do something them for Easter.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:43 PM
When they show up with the others, tell them you dont have enough food & theor kids cant find eggs. Or you can tell them to bring their own food, & easter eggs for their kids to find!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh I know he woudlnt' do that but if he did, I would turn them away at the door and have DH explain that I didn't know they were coming

Quoting ilovemykids323:

sounds good to me... dont invite them. just make sure he understands why . i'd be afraid of him going behind my back and inviting them anyway but that wouldn't really work because then you wouldn't have any food. i wouldn't invite them though.

emilysmom8
by Platinum Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:47 PM
To me holidays are about families, your inlaws are a part of your family now so I would invite them. I would however ask if someone can help cook and or set up the eggs
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:47 PM

My dh just ask me for the 10th time, so what are we doing for Easter, which is my hubby-speak means...I am an only child. My parents want to come here. I don't want them to be by themselves. All this ends up meaning, you can shop, prepare, cook, clean, and serve while I hang out. I don't want to do it. I don't like my in-law they are 2 huge pains in the ass.  So I feel your pain. I just don't know what to tell you because I'll probably get stuck with them too. 

By the way, don't they realize dragging all those people along is rude?  I mean really they don't understand that?  What if you dh said "you can come but just you two, no one else."  Would they comply with that?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:50 PM
Wow..you would really do that?

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh I know he woudlnt' do that but if he did, I would turn them away at the door and have DH explain that I didn't know they were coming

Quoting ilovemykids323:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN