Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Does a child with ADHD

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

need a PARA in the classroom? If he does have one, could that mean he has other issues?

My son has a boy in his class who has ADHD according to his mom. She told me he's "normal" aside from the ADHD and they choose not to medicate him. Her choice and I know nothing about ADHD so I will not judge her for it. But whenever my son refers to this boy, he mentions autism. He will say, "so 'n so is autistic".

From what I've witnessed, he needs assistance all the time as he is really high strung. He does have a PARA assigned to him. I'm wondering because my son has expressed to me that he would like the boy to come over for a play date. I don't know how I would handle him. I'm wondering if this is a situation where the mom would have to stick aroun and to be honest, I'd rather she didn't. The boys get along, but she puts me off a little....

I'm too polite to ask her about her childs issues. She's volunteered some info but why would my son refer to hers as autistic yet she tells me he only has ADHD? Btw the boys are 7.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:16 PM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:30 PM

They are 7- second grade.

Quoting momo3fgr8tteens:

Just having adhd it is unlikely he would have a para working with him one on one. Doesn't mean it isn't possible.  How old is your son and the child?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Thank you for this.

I guess I haven't been around the child to really know. All I know is that he has full time assistance. I'm so ignorant to ADHD, all I thought it meant was a super hyper child. I have some learning to do.

Quoting Anonymous:

If its severe enough I guess so. The thing is, its not at all uncommon for them to have other issues along with it that aren't always diagnosed bc parents assume its all ADHD. It can get tricky. My dd wand 2 of my gss are way up on the ADHD chart. Dd ended up medicated from 7-16. She's 24 now and is getting back on them.1 of her 2 dss started meds this month which works like a miracle as it did with dd. They all have side issues as well.

iamtryingforme
by Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:34 PM

He just needs someone to give him the chance. He is still a kid no matter what if anything is wrong with him.

banana-bear
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:38 PM
My daughter qualified for a para during large group and recess; no academic time. It didn't matter though, the ARD was after I removed her from public school and started homeschooling. There was a girl in her class that was autistic and she had a 1:1 para all day.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momo3fgr8tteens
by Ruby Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:38 PM

I would talk to the mom and just see how she feels about it. She may then feel comfortable enough to share any information that you might need to decide the best way to go about it. Maybe the first time they played it could be at a park or somewhere with the mom there for a little while. That might give you a feel for how comfortable you would be having him at your home without mom. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting momo3fgr8tteens:

Just having adhd it is unlikely he would have a para working with him one on one. Doesn't mean it isn't possible.  How old is your son and the child?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I know.

We are fairly new to the area and this is my childrens first year at this school. My sons teacher paired him up with the boy because she figured my son is new so he needs friends. And this boy has some issues and he needs friends. During a conference she told me that my son really does have the ability to calm the boy down. Which I think is great. My son is very sweet natured and a patient child. He has really taken to this boy and I'm glad that he's exposed to someone with disabilities and he accepts him as he is.

My issue is with myself. I just don't want to screw up! I suppose I might be overthinking this. If things get out of hand I can alway phone the mom- that is if she allows him to stay over by himself.

Quoting iamtryingforme:

He just needs someone to give him the chance. He is still a kid no matter what if anything is wrong with him.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:42 PM
1 mom liked this

My Dh has suggested a park play date actually. ;-) It really is a good idea. The more I think on it I like it.

Thanks for replying.

you rock

Quoting momo3fgr8tteens:

I would talk to the mom and just see how she feels about it. She may then feel comfortable enough to share any information that you might need to decide the best way to go about it. Maybe the first time they played it could be at a park or somewhere with the mom there for a little while. That might give you a feel for how comfortable you would be having him at your home without mom. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting momo3fgr8tteens:

paganmommy4
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:43 PM

my kid has ADHD, and for starters its not because of bad parenting, the child being naughty or too much sugar. Adhd kids do very well on medication my daughter does awesome, with adhd kids a side effect is being super super smart. if he is struggling then there is more going on and she's in denial about it

iamtryingforme
by Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:47 PM

You can't screw up. Tell him the rules up front and just check with mom about allergies and some of her rules.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:49 PM

Oh no, I would never think ADHD is due to bad parenting or too much sugar. I don't know what causes half the stuff that afflicts our children nowadays...I guess experts don't know either.

I have no idea if he struggles academically but I do suspect she is in denial. But then again my son may be wrong in saying the child is autistic. But I don't know how my son would know anything about autism. We've never discussed it before now.

Quoting paganmommy4:

my kid has ADHD, and for starters its not because of bad parenting, the child being naughty or too much sugar. Adhd kids do very well on medication my daughter does awesome, with adhd kids a side effect is being super super smart. if he is struggling then there is more going on and she's in denial about it

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)