Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Does a child with ADHD

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

need a PARA in the classroom? If he does have one, could that mean he has other issues?

My son has a boy in his class who has ADHD according to his mom. She told me he's "normal" aside from the ADHD and they choose not to medicate him. Her choice and I know nothing about ADHD so I will not judge her for it. But whenever my son refers to this boy, he mentions autism. He will say, "so 'n so is autistic".

From what I've witnessed, he needs assistance all the time as he is really high strung. He does have a PARA assigned to him. I'm wondering because my son has expressed to me that he would like the boy to come over for a play date. I don't know how I would handle him. I'm wondering if this is a situation where the mom would have to stick aroun and to be honest, I'd rather she didn't. The boys get along, but she puts me off a little....

I'm too polite to ask her about her childs issues. She's volunteered some info but why would my son refer to hers as autistic yet she tells me he only has ADHD? Btw the boys are 7.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:16 PM
Replies (21-29):
white_wolf454
by Platinum Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:51 PM

why does she put you off a little and if you dont think you can handle him dont have him 

letstalk747
by Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:52 PM

some do , some dont

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:54 PM

I'll just say that she works for a government agency referred to by a 3 letter acronym beginning with the letter "F". She's very inquisitive, never smiles and studies you very intently. Ha! I'm sure it's due to her line of work but I wish she would shut it off.

Quoting white_wolf454:

why does she put you off a little and if you dont think you can handle him dont have him 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:57 PM
Yea, read a little. Hyperactivity is only a small part of it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Thank you for this.

I guess I haven't been around the child to really know. All I know is that he has full time assistance. I'm so ignorant to ADHD, all I thought it meant was a super hyper child. I have some learning to do.

Quoting Anonymous:

If its severe enough I guess so. The thing is, its not at all uncommon for them to have other issues along with it that aren't always diagnosed bc parents assume its all ADHD. It can get tricky. My dd wand 2 of my gss are way up on the ADHD chart. Dd ended up medicated from 7-16. She's 24 now and is getting back on them.1 of her 2 dss started meds this month which works like a miracle as it did with dd. They all have side issues as well.

white_wolf454
by Platinum Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:58 PM

yeah i would be off around her too 

Quoting Anonymous:

I'll just say that she works for a government agency referred to by a 3 letter acronym beginning with the letter "F". She's very inquisitive, never smiles and studies you very intently. Ha! I'm sure it's due to her line of work but I wish she would shut it off.

Quoting white_wolf454:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 21, 2013 at 11:00 PM

No. In our district no child gets his or her own para. oh and he's 7...

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 21, 2013 at 11:04 PM
Here are some suggestions (sp?) to help the playdate go smoothly: 1. keep it short at first, maybe an hour or so. 2. keep them busy with short activities. 3. stay close by 4. when explaining an activity make sure the child is focusing on you and explain it clearly and precisely (sp?), short simple steps. I find doing all those things helpful with my 2 older kids with ADD. ~N~
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 21, 2013 at 11:13 PM

Those are some great suggestions! Thank you. I like the idea of an hour. Lol.

I see this is something I will definitely need a plan for. It will need structure. Thanks so much.

Quoting Anonymous:

Here are some suggestions (sp?) to help the playdate go smoothly: 1. keep it short at first, maybe an hour or so. 2. keep them busy with short activities. 3. stay close by 4. when explaining an activity make sure the child is focusing on you and explain it clearly and precisely (sp?), short simple steps. I find doing all those things helpful with my 2 older kids with ADD. ~N~

mamaninny
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:07 AM
You're welcome :) Good luck! ~N~
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)