Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

US Infant Mortality SUCKS

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:40 PM
Replies (151-153):
JacksonGirl
by Silver Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 5:59 AM
Drug use is pretty high in the united states is it in these other countries?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 20 on Mar. 24, 2013 at 6:05 AM
Quoting Des10ed2b:

there are too many variables in this. such as, cars being common place here and not in other countries and kids dying in car wrecks. animals being kept as pets indoors here and not in other countries. 

there are also countries where not all births are recorded, so this graph could be drastically off if it does not record all of the life and death. 

i was talking to my daughter's taekwondo master about this today. He is from korea and he said that in korea a baby is considered "1" when it is born, not after a year. "first" birthday celebrations (what we would consider first birthday, for them it is an anniversary of the birthday) are HUGE. it is a very very big celebration because so many babies are lost to illness in the first months of life. He had tears in his eyes as he was telling me this, so i have a feeling that it has happened to someone close to him. I was not about to pry into such sensitive subject matter though.  

Most of the countries on there have cars, pets and mandatory birth records. Let's not forget all the babies that have been found in trash cans, back yards and people's homes here in the US throughout the years. No country can possibly record every single birth, but the US has a number that is way to high, especially for a country that braggs about the best hospitals and best drs.
Des10ed2b
by Gold Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Des10ed2b:

there are too many variables in this. such as, cars being common place here and not in other countries and kids dying in car wrecks. animals being kept as pets indoors here and not in other countries. 

there are also countries where not all births are recorded, so this graph could be drastically off if it does not record all of the life and death. 

i was talking to my daughter's taekwondo master about this today. He is from korea and he said that in korea a baby is considered "1" when it is born, not after a year. "first" birthday celebrations (what we would consider first birthday, for them it is an anniversary of the birthday) are HUGE. it is a very very big celebration because so many babies are lost to illness in the first months of life. He had tears in his eyes as he was telling me this, so i have a feeling that it has happened to someone close to him. I was not about to pry into such sensitive subject matter though.  

Most of the countries on there have cars, pets and mandatory birth records. Let's not forget all the babies that have been found in trash cans, back yards and people's homes here in the US throughout the years. No country can possibly record every single birth, but the US has a number that is way to high, especially for a country that braggs about the best hospitals and best drs.

oh no, i agree that it is too high. I am just saying that i dont think this graph can be THAT accurate, because there are just too any variables. i would feel better about it if they would have broken it down even farther to the cause of death. i would be really curious to see what china's mortality rate is with their 1 child law and all the unwanted baby girls. 

Proud mom of an ornery 3 year old boy, a very smart 6 year old girl! Married for 4.5 years, together for 7! Fun loving, open-minded, eco-friendly, creative,friendly, different strokes work for different folks, lady! I stay at home, work at home, love it all!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN