Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why does my 4 yo stink??

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 16 Replies
Isn't 4 too young to truly *need* to bathe every day? She stinks by bedtime if she doesn't get a bath that day. It doesn't really smell like BO, but I can't really place what it does smell like.

Is this normal?
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 21, 2013 at 11:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 21, 2013 at 11:58 PM

does she play outside. hang a towel outside if she smells like the towel it's your air quality

AEW
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:01 AM

No. My son stinks like crazy. Even my 2 yr old does sometime!

thePBandJmom
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Why don't you just bathe her? That's gross imo.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:08 AM
Because she has eczema and if she bathes every day, even without soap, she breaks out. Especially in winter.

If I notice at bedtime she stinks I do make sure she bathes before we go anywhere the next day. It's usually when we're reading just before lights out that I notice.

Quoting thePBandJmom:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:11 AM
I'll try that just to see, but no it's not just on outside days. This had been going on for a while and we weren't out a lot in the winter. Unless just out for errands and what not is enough. The last two days have been stormy and wet so definitely not today and she stinks tonight. She last had a bath about 4pm yesterday.

Quoting Anonymous:

does she play outside. hang a towel outside if she smells like the towel it's your air quality

spooky415
by Ruby Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:12 AM
My son has stinky feet. They're bad. He gets like 2 bathes a day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
casseopeia
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:13 AM

I think it's a problem caused by eczema.  My SO has it and said he was stinky as a kid and always had to bath.  His mom used to make his sit outside and wash his feet before he came in the house.  I've been treating his feet and I think that the skin condition actually causes a bacterial infection and that's what makes it smell.  Just something I've noticed.  And yes you are right to be careful how much to bathe someone with eczema.  It can make the condition worse.

Quoting Anonymous:

Because she has eczema and if she bathes every day, even without soap, she breaks out. Especially in winter.

If I notice at bedtime she stinks I do make sure she bathes before we go anywhere the next day. It's usually when we're reading just before lights out that I notice.

Quoting thePBandJmom:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:21 AM
My kids are both under 3 and I bathe every day from the very beginning. Never missed a day.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:28 AM
That's great that you can do that. If we did that with DD she would be a raw, itchy mess.

Quoting Anonymous:

My kids are both under 3 and I bathe every day from the very beginning. Never missed a day.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:29 AM
I've never thought of the eczema causing it. I'll have to look into that to see if that's the problem.

Quoting casseopeia:

I think it's a problem caused by eczema.  My SO has it and said he was stinky as a kid and always had to bath.  His mom used to make his sit outside and wash his feet before he came in the house.  I've been treating his feet and I think that the skin condition actually causes a bacterial infection and that's what makes it smell.  Just something I've noticed.  And yes you are right to be careful how much to bathe someone with eczema.  It can make the condition worse.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting thePBandJmom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured