Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

owned my own salon **ask me anything!!** UPDATE

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I have been doing hair professionally for 10 years now. Owned my salon before I had kids. I decided to stay home with them but still continue my education.
Ive worked hair shows, and I've been an educator for a big name company.
Ask me anything!!
**I didn't realize I would get so many questions!! I promise to get to all you ladies!! I am currently in the process of a move so bare with me!! I will answer as fast as I can!!****
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:38 AM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:53 AM
I don't use any chemicals, waxes, or anything funky in my hair, is the wax necessary?

Quoting Anonymous:

Sex wax, its for surf boards. Start by sectioning off 1 in squares, emolisify wax between fingers then apply to hair, continue to twist then back comb. :)

Quoting Anonymous:

What is the best way for me to dread my hair? I'm white, everyone I've talked to doesn't know.

LexsMami
by Silver Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:53 AM
Quoting Anonymous:

Redken is my product line of choice. I worked for them for about 5 years. I woukd never endorse or sell anything I didnt believe in.
Redken is science based. I can give you better reasonings if you ask more specific questions :)

Quoting LexsMami:

What products do you endorse and why?

No I agree. My mom worked for them back in the 70's in their Chicago office.
sadiebug1228
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:54 AM
Lol well that's understandable :) I am 2 lol

Quoting Anonymous:

To be completely honest.....im a super control freak. Lol

Quoting sadiebug1228:

Why didnt u want to keep it and just like hire a manager and stay home but have others run it? If that makes since haha

Quoting Anonymous:

It was expensive I guess. No different than any other small business I guess.

Yes I sold it right before dd was born. I knew I wanted to stay home. I had an associate under me that took all my clients.

Quoting sadiebug1228:

Cool. I don't really have any questions. I'm a massage therapist so I went to school with cosmos so I talked to them a lot while they were in school.

Was is expensive to keep up the salon? Did u sell the salon?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:54 AM
What's the best thing to do when you get out of beauty school? Have any advice for someone going through beauty school?
amberlyp
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:54 AM
Do/did you guys buy a big bottle of cheap conditioner and charge up the ass for a "conditioning treatment?" I've heard some do
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:54 AM
What was your yearly income?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:57 AM
Start small. Remember that in the hair world you know nothing. Find a nice up scale salon and work under a master stylist. That's where you will really learn to do hair. Go to every color class you can, thats where your money is.

Quoting Anonymous:

What's the best thing to do when you get out of beauty school? Have any advice for someone going through beauty school?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:59 AM
1 mom liked this
Lol no. If I caught someone doing that all hell would break loose. I never wanted to compromise the integrity of someones hair.

Quoting amberlyp:

Do/did you guys buy a big bottle of cheap conditioner and charge up the ass for a "conditioning treatment?" I've heard some do

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:00 AM
I heard its hard for people to get jobs doing anything but chain type salons out of school.

Quoting Anonymous:

Start small. Remember that in the hair world you know nothing. Find a nice up scale salon and work under a master stylist. That's where you will really learn to do hair. Go to every color class you can, thats where your money is.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:00 AM
Around 100,000. But thats really really high. Most make around 25, 000.

Quoting Anonymous:

What was your yearly income?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)