Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

owned my own salon **ask me anything!!** UPDATE

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I have been doing hair professionally for 10 years now. Owned my salon before I had kids. I decided to stay home with them but still continue my education.
Ive worked hair shows, and I've been an educator for a big name company.
Ask me anything!!
**I didn't realize I would get so many questions!! I promise to get to all you ladies!! I am currently in the process of a move so bare with me!! I will answer as fast as I can!!****
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:38 AM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:01 AM
Never work at a chain salon. You will get stuck. You will not make much money.

Quoting Anonymous:

I heard its hard for people to get jobs doing anything but chain type salons out of school.

Quoting Anonymous:

Start small. Remember that in the hair world you know nothing. Find a nice up scale salon and work under a master stylist. That's where you will really learn to do hair. Go to every color class you can, thats where your money is.

Quoting Anonymous:

What's the best thing to do when you get out of beauty school? Have any advice for someone going through beauty school?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:01 AM
Nice, your salon must have kicked ass: )

Quoting Anonymous:

Around 100,000. But thats really really high. Most make around 25, 000.

Quoting Anonymous:

What was your yearly income?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:02 AM
So better no job at all than a chain salon?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

I heard its hard for people to get jobs doing anything but chain type salons out of school.

Quoting Anonymous:

Start small. Remember that in the hair world you know nothing. Find a nice up scale salon and work under a master stylist. That's where you will really learn to do hair. Go to every color class you can, thats where your money is.

Quoting Anonymous:

What's the best thing to do when you get out of beauty school? Have any advice for someone going through beauty school?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:03 AM
1 mom liked this
I really would love to own a salon! I however do not know anything about hair, nor do I want to go to school for it. I just like small business, and am appealed to the beauty salon concept.

Did you make money just from ownership?! Or did a large part if your income come from your clients??
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:03 AM
I worked my ass off to get there!! I put my heart and soul into doing hair

Quoting Anonymous:

Nice, your salon must have kicked ass: )

Quoting Anonymous:

Around 100,000. But thats really really high. Most make around 25, 000.

Quoting Anonymous:

What was your yearly income?

Aleta775
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:03 AM

Can you name a hair coloring product that you liked the best? I really would like to have my hair colored again, and I like a deep red, sort of mahogany color. 

amberlyp
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:03 AM
How did you deal with the people who came in showing a picture of an actress with a certain cut or style wanting to have the same look, yet they only had a few strands of hair to work with? Basically I'm asking about the ones where there's no way on earth you'll be able to even come close to the look. Does that make sense?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:04 AM
I do not suggest it. You cant run a business you know nothing about, and you wouldnt makevery much.

Quoting Anonymous:

I really would love to own a salon! I however do not know anything about hair, nor do I want to go to school for it. I just like small business, and am appealed to the beauty salon concept.

Did you make money just from ownership?! Or did a large part if your income come from your clients??

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:06 AM
Unfortunately yes. If someone applied that worked in a chain I wouldnt hire them. Chains teach bad habits and after you learn those yiu aren't marketable.

Quoting Anonymous:

So better no job at all than a chain salon?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:07 AM
Well if you post a pic I can formulate it for you :)
I need one of current color and desired color

Quoting Aleta775:

Can you name a hair coloring product that you liked the best? I really would like to have my hair colored again, and I like a deep red, sort of mahogany color. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN