Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

owned my own salon **ask me anything!!** UPDATE

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I have been doing hair professionally for 10 years now. Owned my salon before I had kids. I decided to stay home with them but still continue my education.
Ive worked hair shows, and I've been an educator for a big name company.
Ask me anything!!
**I didn't realize I would get so many questions!! I promise to get to all you ladies!! I am currently in the process of a move so bare with me!! I will answer as fast as I can!!****
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:38 AM
Replies (211-218):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 24, 2013 at 9:18 PM
The longer you hair is the more damaged the ends are. Bc they are old. Hair has more elasticity when wet, meaning it stretches more. So damaged hair has even more elasticity than normal.
It was probably jacked up bc she didn't section small enough and rushed.

Quoting ForeverInLove:

Why is a wet cut bad?

I'm not a style person. My hair is either in a random point tail, or just left as is. My cut is always a blunt cut/straight across the bottom. No layers, no fancy crap. Just straight, and it's to only trim the end. I prefer it wet cut, because I've find a dry cut leaves it uneven on me. Had a dry cut once, and was disappointed. Mind you, my hair is long enough that I must move it when I go to the bathroom, lol.

So, why a dry cut? Wash and no wash are the same price here.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes you should. Heres a stylist secret for ya, get a dry cut. Wash wnd style your hair before you go in and have them trim while its dry and styled the way YOU style it. You loose less length. They may argue bc its means less money for them so tip them very well!

I only suggest this for long hair.

Quoting Anonymous:

I have split ends, but I want to grow my hair out. It's been almost two years since I had it cut. Should I get it trimmed? I really don't want to lose a lot of length.

ForeverInLove
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 9:42 PM
Hmm. I plan on thing to a new place next time. It's been over a year since I've had a trim done, lol.

It's annoying to go into somewhere and they want new to get a style, or I get asked if I'm donating it all that day.... I swear, I'd sue if they cut my hair so much to donate. Last time it was short,.I was being beaten. He made me cut it... Having some stranger telling me I should cut it shorter makes me want to scream.

Quoting Anonymous:

The longer you hair is the more damaged the ends are. Bc they are old. Hair has more elasticity when wet, meaning it stretches more. So damaged hair has even more elasticity than normal.

It was probably jacked up bc she didn't section small enough and rushed.

Quoting ForeverInLove:

Why is a wet cut bad?

I'm not a style person. My hair is either in a random point tail, or just left as is. My cut is always a blunt cut/straight across the bottom. No layers, no fancy crap. Just straight, and it's to only trim the end. I prefer it wet cut, because I've find a dry cut leaves it uneven on me. Had a dry cut once, and was disappointed. Mind you, my hair is long enough that I must move it when I go to the bathroom, lol.

So, why a dry cut? Wash and no wash are the same price here.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes you should. Heres a stylist secret for ya, get a dry cut. Wash wnd style your hair before you go in and have them trim while its dry and styled the way YOU style it. You loose less length. They may argue bc its means less money for them so tip them very well!

I only suggest this for long hair.

Quoting Anonymous:

I have split ends, but I want to grow my hair out. It's been almost two years since I had it cut. Should I get it trimmed? I really don't want to lose a lot of length.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Stephd710
by Ruby Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 9:46 PM
I recently home colored my hair. It's very light blonde. I got the lightest blonde I could find at the store. My roots turned out a kind of orangy/gold color, I guess because they were darker than the rest of my already colored hair. Did I not leave it on long enough? Or did I choose the wrong color? I usually go to a salon but I didn't have the money and had major roots going on.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jojo_382
by Silver Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 9:47 PM
So what u think

Quoting jojo_382:

Does this help

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 25, 2013 at 4:21 AM
Box color tends to fo that. Here's why.
In order for your hair to get light blonde it has to go around the color wheel. Also color can only lighten your hair so much. Say your hair is medium brown, when you apply a lightener your hair first turns red then orange then yellow. But since you used color it could only get to orange and the color already has warm tones to it. So your putting orange on top of orange and you make it brassy.
I wouldn't suggest lightening it again. It could possibly cause to much damage and make the hair melt. If its so noticeable you can't handle it you will need a darker rinse. Its hard for me to tell you exactly what kind bc I can't access your hair to check tone and porosity. You can still be blonde and find a demi permanent that will neutralize the orange undertones. Go back to the color wheel, if its bright yellow you need something with violet tones or if its orange you need something with blue/green tones.
Hope that helps!!
And stop cheating on your stylist with Mrs clariol!! ;)
Also in the future if you have to home color only apply it to the new growth unless you're going darker.

Quoting Stephd710:I recently home colored my hair. It's very light blonde. I got the lightest blonde I could find at the store. My roots turned out a kind of orangy/gold color, I guess because they were darker than the rest of my already colored hair. Did I not leave it on long enough? Or did I choose the wrong color? I usually go to a salon but I didn't have the money and had major roots going on.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 25, 2013 at 4:26 AM
The ends look really frayed. I know you don't want to loose a lot but I suggest around 4 in. Also have them undercut the bottom, that will cause the ends to lay better.

Quoting jojo_382:

So what u think

Quoting jojo_382:

Does this help

4kids4tara
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 4:31 AM

My 4 daughters have never had head lice but so many of their friends have. The thought of head lice puts me into a full blown anxiety attack. I dont know why but seriously I can't control the anxiety I go through every time I get the phone call that a close friend has just found head lice after a play date. How do I prevent it or treat it IF God forbid, my girls get it??

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 25, 2013 at 4:47 AM
Lice is scary. The only way to prevent it is to stay away from it. Teach your girls to never share combs, brushes, clips or elastics. If a friend has it stay away, lice can jump.
There is a medication you buy otc that you comb through hair to kill it. But expect your entire household to catch it.
Please never take a lice infested person to a salon. If a sylist finds lice the salon must close for 48 hours.

Quoting 4kids4tara:

My 4 daughters have never had head lice but so many of their friends have. The thought of head lice puts me into a full blown anxiety attack. I dont know why but seriously I can't control the anxiety I go through every time I get the phone call that a close friend has just found head lice after a play date. How do I prevent it or treat it IF God forbid, my girls get it??

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN