Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

owned my own salon **ask me anything!!** UPDATE

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I have been doing hair professionally for 10 years now. Owned my salon before I had kids. I decided to stay home with them but still continue my education.
Ive worked hair shows, and I've been an educator for a big name company.
Ask me anything!!
**I didn't realize I would get so many questions!! I promise to get to all you ladies!! I am currently in the process of a move so bare with me!! I will answer as fast as I can!!****
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:38 AM
Replies (41-50):
Aleta775
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:26 AM

The last ones I've done were demi-permanent. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Are you wanting permanent or demi-permanent?

Quoting Aleta775:

This is best and most recent pic I have.

This is the color I like, and I have had my hair this color before. I thought it looked great. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Well if you post a pic I can formulate it for you :)

I need one of current color and desired color

Quoting Aleta775:

Can you name a hair coloring product that you liked the best? I really would like to have my hair colored again, and I like a deep red, sort of mahogany color. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:27 AM
Hair loss post partum is normal. Ive had clients that had to wear wigs bc it was so bad. The only way to help it is to watch your diet. Make sure you have a good balanced diet and drink lots of water!
Same with dry hair. Dont use any v05 oil, that shit is tar. Is your hair breaking off? Then you need protein based product. If not try a shea butter treatment. I can suggest one if you want :)
No to keratin treatment, its just a money maker. Dont waste your money.

Quoting foofoo24:

Hey, I had my daughter and son back to back. My son is now 5 months and I'm losing hair likecrazy. I have very curly hair that is just falling out. What can I use to help that? Also, my hair has gotten extremely dry. How can I prevent that? Also, I didn't want to maintain my curly hair (don't have the time with2 babies) and was wondering if the keratin treatment was a good idea? Would I have to do anything once it dried after a shower? Sorry about all the questions. I have been dying to ask a professional.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:28 AM
Depends. Mechanical damage, meaning from using hot tools, or chemical damage? Whats your hair type??

Quoting Anonymous:

What is your best suggestion for damaged hair? A certain shampoo? A night treatment?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:30 AM
No, my sister does hair for a living so no questions... :) she is working on getting a shop and doing hair from her house..
foofoo24
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:30 AM
Thanks for replying so quick. I would really appreciate you recomMending a Shea butter treatment. Also, if you don't mind me asking, why is keratin bad? In your professional opinion?

Quoting Anonymous:

Hair loss post partum is normal. Ive had clients that had to wear wigs bc it was so bad. The only way to help it is to watch your diet. Make sure you have a good balanced diet and drink lots of water!

Same with dry hair. Dont use any v05 oil, that shit is tar. Is your hair breaking off? Then you need protein based product. If not try a shea butter treatment. I can suggest one if you want :)

Quoting foofoo24:

Hey, I had my daughter and son back to back. My son is now 5 months and I'm losing hair likecrazy. I have very curly hair that is just falling out. What can I use to help that? Also, my hair has gotten extremely dry. How can I prevent that? Also, I didn't want to maintain my curly hair (don't have the time with2 babies) and was wondering if the keratin treatment was a good idea? Would I have to do anything once it dried after a shower? Sorry about all the questions. I have been dying to ask a professional.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:33 AM
Chemical damage. I have very thin very straight hair. Its been colored for 10+ years & remained healthy. But most recently I bleached it more than once in the matter of a couple days.

Quoting Anonymous:

Depends. Mechanical damage, meaning from using hot tools, or chemical damage? Whats your hair type??

Quoting Anonymous:

What is your best suggestion for damaged hair? A certain shampoo? A night treatment?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:36 AM
Okay. This is for a professional to do.
First you need micro weave horizontal highlights, 15 foils tops. Like 5 on top 5 on each side and 5 in crown/nape. Use lightener with 20v for 20 mins...unless you have old color on your hair then up to 40. Highlights need to be atleast levell 8.
After foil placement apply shades 5rr(1 oz) and 7rb (1oz) to remaining hair process with highlights.
Rinse highlights and color. Do not shampoo.
Apply 6rr (1oz) if shades eq to wet hair. Process under dryer for 20 mins.
Voila! Enjoy :)

Quoting Aleta775:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Aleta775:

This is the color I like, and I have had my hair this color before. I thought it looked great. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Aleta775:

Can you name a hair coloring product that you liked the best? I really would like to have my hair colored again, and I like a deep red, sort of mahogany color. 

Aleta775
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:39 AM

Oooo. I will note this and tell my stylist. Thank you. :) 

Quoting Anonymous:

Okay. This is for a professional to do.
First you need micro weave horizontal highlights, 15 foils tops. Like 5 on top 5 on each side and 5 in crown/nape. Use lightener with 20v for 20 mins...unless you have old color on your hair then up to 40. Highlights need to be atleast levell 8.
After foil placement apply shades 5rr(1 oz) and 7rb (1oz) to remaining hair process with highlights.
Rinse highlights and color. Do not shampoo.
Apply 6rr (1oz) if shades eq to wet hair. Process under dryer for 20 mins.
Voila! Enjoy :)

Quoting Aleta775:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Aleta775:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Aleta775:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:42 AM
Im partial to Redken. I do not suggest anything I dont back. I know ingredients and the whys of Redken so thats what I will suggest.

First you need C.A.T its a protein treatment ($15 ish) use it every day!! Then you need moisture, but if you have fine hair so it must be light. I would try either pure platinum conditioning treat or bodyfull treat (both about $15)
Keratin is a perm.

Quoting foofoo24:

Thanks for replying so quick. I would really appreciate you recomMending a Shea butter treatment. Also, if you don't mind me asking, why is keratin bad? In your professional opinion?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting foofoo24:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:43 AM
Oh interesting. Do hair like styling? Or cutting? Do they not teach haircuts correctly at school?

Quoting Anonymous:

Willingness to learn. When you go to a salon they will teach you how to do hair since you are a new stylist. If you show resistance pack your tools and leave.

Quoting Anonymous:

So what kind of things did you look for from someone right out of school?

Quoting Anonymous:

Unfortunately yes. If someone applied that worked in a chain I wouldnt hire them. Chains teach bad habits and after you learn those yiu aren't marketable.

Quoting Anonymous:

So better no job at all than a chain salon?

Quoting Anonymous:

Never work at a chain salon. You will get stuck. You will not make much money.

Quoting Anonymous:

I heard its hard for people to get jobs doing anything but chain type salons out of school.

Quoting Anonymous:

Start small. Remember that in the hair world you know nothing. Find a nice up scale salon and work under a master stylist. That's where you will really learn to do hair. Go to every color class you can, thats where your money is.

Quoting Anonymous:

What's the best thing to do when you get out of beauty school? Have any advice for someone going through beauty school?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)