Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is this normal for babies to do?

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:48 AM
  • 13 Replies
My daughter will be 1 in 2 weeks and I'm having a hard time getting her to drink out of a sippy cup. I've been trying for a few weeks now but she still likes her formula out of her bottle more than anything. I've tried water, juice, and milk and she will barely drink any of it. But if its in a regular cup that I hold for her she'll drink it. Is this normal?? I don't want to take away her bottle and her become dehydrated because she won't drink anything else.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PookaboosMom
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:50 AM
It took my son awhile too. He is 15 months and prefers the sippy cups with straws
banana-bear
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:50 AM
Yes it's normal. And no she won't dehydrate. She'll give up and use the cup.
STLEMD0412
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:51 AM
I've tried getting her to drink from a straw also but she just chews on them lol

Quoting PookaboosMom:

It took my son awhile too. He is 15 months and prefers the sippy cups with straws

armywifey26
by Krissy on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:51 AM
Try one with a straw
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:51 AM

It is pretty normal because some babies just take longer to transition to the sippy cup then others.  I would just keep offering it to her and try different sippy cups as well.

JoaquinsMommie
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:52 AM

OMG it took me a long time for my son to get off the bottle 

one day I lost his bottle and he had no choice but to drink out of his cup he didn't like it at 1st but he got use to it, you just got to keep trying I'm just glad I lost his bottle that day or he would of been 2 years old still drinking out of his bottle

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:52 AM

IF you are trying to get her off the bottle then gather all the bottles up and put them in a plastic bag and have your DD throw them away. GO COLD TURKEY. Yes the next few days are going to be rough BUT it will be worth it. IF and when she is thirsty...she will drink something.

McM0609
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:52 AM
Well what I did was let my dd choose a sippy cup cause its something she like and she can use it then during the day let her use it and at night give her a bottle. Did this for a wk, after that she forgot what the bottle was for. GL
aalmomma
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:54 AM
Totally normal. You just gotta find the right cup for her.
MommyLo
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:54 AM

its okay..relax! you dont have to take them off the bottle at exactly a year. only you know whats best for your baby! mine is still weening at 14 months..she loves cups, cups with straws, and sippy cups..but sometimes she just needs that bottle once in a while. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN