Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

SOOO FRUSTRATED!!

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 3:06 AM
  • 36 Replies

Poll

Question: What did you go to college for?

Options:

I wanted to party

I wanted to learn

I just wanted/needed that degree

I was forced

I never went to college

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 57

View Results

I go to college 4 days a week, and am in 5 classes. I am almost 30 and most of the other students are 18-20. This new group of 18-20 year olds drive me nuts because they aren't there to learn, they are trying to skate through the classes and to just get them over with. We have to be in groups the instructor picked for us, and most of the students in the groups don't even do their work, they wait for our groups and just take credit for their group's assignments!Then, the instructors really try their hardest to get the entire class engaged in open discussion, and no one talks! I feel bad for the instructor, so I try to answer her discussion questions because I feel sorry for the instructors, who end up feeling really stupid for talking and no one else even joining into the discussion. I have a huge problem talking in groups and to be honest, I don't do the greatest in any social situations, so I don't talk all the time but I do try, even if just to avoid the awkward silence. I don't get it!! What happened that now, instead of trying to actually learn, people just want to get through classes?? Just goes to prove my point: having a degree does not make you smarter! I actually WANT to LEARN because I love to learn and because I think it will make me better in my chosen field. So frustrating! As if my age alone doesn't set me apart enough, I am in school with a bunch of morons!
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 3:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Princess.Sara
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 3:12 AM

You sound exactly like me, especially the talking and social part. That is exactly how I felt, except that I was 18 (22 now) and felt like that, I couldn't stand the kids there that didn't want to do anything. Most of them seemed to be the ones where their parents were paying for it and they just didn't care. I actually had to work to pay for my college and I hated the kids who got a free ride and didn't give a darn. My mom is back in college and dealing with it now.

banana-bear
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 3:14 AM
To be fair, I've dealt with grown adults who act the same way.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ff-princess
by Ruby Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 3:52 AM

one of my goals for my performance planning at my last job was to take some classes towards a degree.  I took psych101, and it was less than educational.  out of the entire class, there were only three people who would participate in discussion, and I honestly got tired of being 1/3 of the respondents.  people skipped class all the time, never came prepared, weren't able to complete the one paper we were assigned on time and with proper citations.  I haven't bothered taking another class, I got an A without putting forth a bit of effort.  if I'm not learning anything it's just a waste of my time, and I'd rather spend that with my kids after putting in a full day at work.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 22, 2013 at 4:02 AM
Well I was in college when I 19 and I saw the 24+ people just "skating" by

I graduated with a 4.0 gpa and only missed 4 days because dd was in the hospital

One of the older lady's barley passed any class and was gone at lest once a week

They sent her to an amazing externship site and I got one that was not in the area I went to school for (employes there told me so)

Just another side to look at.... Not all young kids are just trying to skate by and some people that do end up in the better position in the end
MsMcWithey
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:02 AM
Omg it's crazy! We have to read a book (the Help) in class and then get in groups and we all have to write questions or vocabulary or whatever role we are assigned. You would not believe how many people are like, "I didn't read it, what happened in chapter 12?" And it's every time and it's always the same people but because we are in groups, everyone gets credit for it. I get that you don't NEED the book for your career, but the instructor always wants to discuss it and it just sucks she's talking to thin air. It's a pretty good book, btw, and the movie leaves a lot out

Quoting Princess.Sara:

You sound exactly like me, especially the talking and social part. That is exactly how I felt, except that I was 18 (22 now) and felt like that, I couldn't stand the kids there that didn't want to do anything. Most of them seemed to be the ones where their parents were paying for it and they just didn't care. I actually had to work to pay for my college and I hated the kids who got a free ride and didn't give a darn. My mom is back in college and dealing with it now.

MsMcWithey
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:04 AM
I don't doubt that, but in my experience it's mostly the older ones working their butts off. There are quite a few 30+ and even 50+ in my classes and they work hard all the time.

Quoting banana-bear:

To be fair, I've dealt with grown adults who act the same way.
MsMcWithey
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:07 AM
I'm sorry your class sucked :( I LOVED my psych 101 class, my teacher was amazing! Most of my psych classes were great! And I feel exactly the same way, I want to earn my A, if it's just given out then why bother trying? And I HATE being one of the only ones responding too.

Quoting ff-princess:

one of my goals for my performance planning at my last job was to take some classes towards a degree.  I took psych101, and it was less than educational.  out of the entire class, there were only three people who would participate in discussion, and I honestly got tired of being 1/3 of the respondents.  people skipped class all the time, never came prepared, weren't able to complete the one paper we were assigned on time and with proper citations.  I haven't bothered taking another class, I got an A without putting forth a bit of effort.  if I'm not learning anything it's just a waste of my time, and I'd rather spend that with my kids after putting in a full day at work.

MsMcWithey
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:13 AM
Well that's crappy! I world have been pissed and probably would have complained. Then again, complaining probably would't mattered anyway. I don't think ALL of any specific age group just skates by, just the majority of the ones in my classes. I don't know how they are passing when they don't do their work and they don't even listen to the instructors. They sit and text all day on class and talk about how they are gonna spend their financial aide money on parties. I don't get financial aide (which is fine) but if I did I would use it only on things pertaining to school. But I think maybe it's because I'm older and I have a family so my priorities are different than the 18-20 year olds that have no kids, live at home, don't have bills, etc....

Quoting Anonymous:

Well I was in college when I 19 and I saw the 24+ people just "skating" by

I graduated with a 4.0 gpa and only missed 4 days because dd was in the hospital

One of the older lady's barley passed any class and was gone at lest once a week

They sent her to an amazing externship site and I got one that was not in the area I went to school for (employes there told me so)

Just another side to look at.... Not all young kids are just trying to skate by and some people that do end up in the better position in the end
Oostera
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Yeah, that sucks. I would hate to be put in that kind of situation. My DH hated University because there were stupid people like this.

I was forced to go to college. I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life, I had no specific direction I wanted to go. I decided that I would work for a year, at least, to earn some money for college, since my parents were broke, but my mother told me I was not allowed to take the year off and I HAD to attend school. With what money, I don't know, but my DH wound up paying for my schooling with his loans because my parents sucked at finances and couldn't even co-sign a loan for me. Ugh. I completed the courses in Culinary Arts with really good grades. Who do you think came to my graduation? My DH. That's it.

Diamepphyre
by Ruby Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:37 AM

I went to college in my 30's and know *exactly* how you feel.  And FWIW, I think groups should be prohibited, for just the reason that you stated.  It's not fair for people to get grades for work they didn't do.  Each student should be required to earn their grades on their own individual merits.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)