Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Im not doing enough for my 7 yr old

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 17 Replies
His papers are graded S+ S S- or U. An S+ is perfect. Miss 1 and its an S. He will bring home a few U's. I know these days he didnt get enough sleep/too much sleep, cant focus or settle down in class. He brings home Ill say 60/40 S/S+. I just found out that they have everything coverted to actual percentages online and looked him up. He FAILED art. HOW in the FUDGE does a 7 year old fail art? Are his stick figures too stick like? WTH?! Everthing else seems good. There are 18 grades up for the first 3 quarters. His average is an 89.1. Hes passing history with flying colors! Math it gets kind of iffy, and his writing is terrible. He is having a hard time with spelling.(today he has his ur-er-ir words and they are confusing him fur/fern, bird/burn) I just feel like I dont know HOW to help him. HOW do I help him be that A+ student that I KNOW he is. I know he gets distracted SO easily. At home I can control the environment but in school, hes lost in the crowd. His teacher knows it and can only put him on his own so much. Plus there are only 17 kids in his class(only 35 in the WHOLE 1st grade) so its not like hes in a packed room, he just loses track or gets board. Please help with ideas! TIA
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 22, 2013 at 3:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kbix82
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 3:19 AM

make sure he is doing his HW  and help him also walmart sells math workbooks for diffrent grades and such for practice

paganmommy4
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 3:22 AM
2 moms liked this

Chillax.. its first grade.. He doesnt need to be an A+ student right now. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 22, 2013 at 3:29 AM

Quoting kbix82:

make sure he is doing his HW  and help him also walmart sells math workbooks for diffrent grades and such for practice

The only homework(other that daily weblogs and weekly spelling words) are a packet with 2 or 3 pages of math.  It come home Thursday and is due the next Wednesday.  He has no troubles at home with math.  We sit down the night he gets his homework and we do it.  That way if he has any problems he can ask his teacher the next day and fix anything that night.  His his homework is a small part of his grade.  I need help building his confidence in reading(he had tubes put in after being ignored by Drs for too long and had hearing loss and minor speech problems)I think the hearing/speech issue is running into his reading because sounds can still get to him (he'll say avenoon not avenue or cunumber not cucumber)  Also anything to help him focus or concentrate(games or tasks and such)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 22, 2013 at 3:33 AM

Quoting paganmommy4:

So when will he NEED to be an A+ student?  If its something like him paying attention and focusing in school thats stopping him from being one it needs to be fixed.  Its silly to say OH he doesnt have to pay attention in school if hes pulling Bs.

Pushthruthepain
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 3:33 AM
When you figure it out tell me!lol Mine is in Kindergarden and has trouble focusing too.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
paganmommy4
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 3:37 AM

Maybe he has a learning disability maybe he's not being challenged enough. school starts to matter after the 3rd grade really. Even then I think it really matters in junior high. Right now they just need to learn the basics. If kids get bored they need to be challenged more. I have ADD and I needed to have more challenge.. Doing the same math and reading problems  until you're blue in the face gets old fast

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting paganmommy4:

So when will he NEED to be an A+ student?  If its something like him paying attention and focusing in school thats stopping him from being one it needs to be fixed.  Its silly to say OH he doesnt have to pay attention in school if hes pulling Bs.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 22, 2013 at 3:40 AM

Quoting Pushthruthepain:

When you figure it out tell me!lol Mine is in Kindergarden and has trouble focusing too.

It frustrates me to no end because his teacher writes these little note on moving his desk, taking tests by himself, him losing track of the task at hand.  Well no DUH!  Hes MY son, I live with him.  He spaces out on me all the time.  IDK if its his just flat out ignoring me, not hearing me and somethings up with his tubes, or he just really zones out. Then I wonder if this moving him business is making him self conscious and hes thinking people are looking at him, or if hes just board of his work. Ive been "letting" him play majong and other games on my laptop so he HAS to concentrate and pay attention, but if its something else IDK if it will help. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 22, 2013 at 3:46 AM

We do spelling words every night(this weeks IMO too are tricky for 1st grade) its like pulling teeth to get him to focus.  He'll sit down, then the leg comes up on the couch.  Next hes laying down and he slowly brings his legs up the back of the couch and is upside down on the darn thing!  And we're only 4 words in out of 12 and 2 sentences!  I feel like a lot of people jump on the "My kids flighty so he MUST HAVE ADD ADHD" bandwagon.  Before I would bring that up to his teacher/Ped what things do you do to keep on track?

Quoting paganmommy4:

Maybe he has a learning disability maybe he's not being challenged enough. school starts to matter after the 3rd grade really. Even then I think it really matters in junior high. Right now they just need to learn the basics. If kids get bored they need to be challenged more. I have ADD and I needed to have more challenge.. Doing the same math and reading problems  until you're blue in the face gets old fast

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting paganmommy4:

Pushthruthepain
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 3:47 AM
I've found that a good schedule at home too helps.Like ok to get dressed for school we do a,b,c,etc...after school snack, free play homework, more free play dinner, chores then bath and reading.Yes, alot of nights it gets messed up but it's really helped.Make sure he has plenty of time to get ready in yhe morning so he doesn't have to rush.I've found that helps my son if I'm calm amd he is too he has a better day.I always tell him before he gets out of the car...I love you, focus, be good!lol Plenty of sleep and treat any health issues.He will get better eventually.My dh wad the same and all his brothers amd nephews.
Pushthruthepain
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 3:50 AM
Why does he have to sit still when he does his spelling words I have my son walk taking steps when we are adding,subtracting, etc...Have him stand up and jump everytime he spells a word right we call it jump for joy.lol He loves it.

Quoting Anonymous:

We do spelling words every night(this weeks IMO too are tricky for 1st grade) its like pulling teeth to get him to focus.  He'll sit down, then the leg comes up on the couch.  Next hes laying down and he slowly brings his legs up the back of the couch and is upside down on the darn thing!  And we're only 4 words in out of 12 and 2 sentences!  I feel like a lot of people jump on the "My kids flighty so he MUST HAVE ADD ADHD" bandwagon.  Before I would bring that up to his teacher/Ped what things do you do to keep on track?

Quoting paganmommy4:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting paganmommy4:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)