Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

THEY LOST A CHILD......

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:08 AM
  • 78 Replies

WHY IS NO ONE LOSING THEIR JOBS?!?!?! This happened at my youngest's school. and even WORSE.... HIS TEACHER is the one that let the child go!

http://www.wsav.com/story/21761562/child-wanders-away-from-elementary-school

SAVANNAH, GA -

It's every parent's worst nightmare -- your child disappears from a place you thought they were safe, and no one can find them for hours. That's what happened to a Savannah family last month.

This family called it the worst experience of their lives. Their little girl wandered away from Largo-Tibet elementary school on a cold rainy day last month-- and wasn't found until more than two hours later.

But their daughter getting lost isn't the only thing that has this family upset.

Until about a month ago, Tammy Todd's five year old daughter Alayna attended kindergarten at Largo-Tibet elementary school. That all changed after February 25th, when her older son drove to the school to pick alayna up. Tammy says, "They called for her, she didn't come, so they kept calling for her and he called or texted me about, probably 20 minutes after he got there, and said they couldn't find her."

Tammy headed for the school and found her son sitting in the office. "And nobody was doing anything, so I said, did you tell them they you're up here? And he said yes, and they told me to sit right here and I said well, let's go look for her." The two started searching and ran into Alayna's teacher, apparently doing the same thing. Tammy says, "I saw her and i just started crying and I said, um, you know, they lost my baby. And she said, I will never let her go to the bathroom by herself again."

Tammy learned that during dismissal, her daughter had asked to use the bathroom and was allowed to go. The one nearest the gym unavailable, her daughter had to go back into the school. Staff began calling the buses and daycares to make sure Alayna wasn't with them. Her child had been missing about an hour when she was told police hadn't been called. She tried calling Metro herself, and says she was told they had to be called by the school resource officer. He walked in nearly fifteen minutes later. A group of her friends had gathered at the school, and some began searching the neighborhood. Tammy says, "It was raining that day, freezing cold, and everybody who was looking for her was knee deep in mud, looking in the ditches. My husband kept coming back and forth, just hysterical, you know. At that point, two hours had gone by and nobody knew where she was."

Finally a friend who works at a local radio station put information out over the air and on their facebook page. It was one of those listeners who spotted her daughter around an hour later, about eight blocks from the school. Reunited with her parents, the little girl shared her story. "When she came out of the bathroom, she got confused and didn't know which way to go, so she went to the front of the school cause she knew how to get there." Tammy says from there she followed some kids across the street, hoping to play, but was told they had to go home. So the five year old decided to try to find her house, meeting another child along the way. The older child stays home in the afternoon alone, and invited Alayna over to play. After being inside for a while, she'd gone outside, and that's when she was spotted... more than two hours after she left the school. "I just felt so helpless, because we as parents had done what we should do. We're driving around the neighborhood, we're looking through the ditches, but the police weren't even contacted," says Tammy.

The Todd's have since moved Alayna to a private school. News 3 called the Savannah-Chatham School District offices to ask about the policy when a child goes missing. We were told that in this instance - proper procedures did appear to have been followed - which include a search of the school, a call to the buses, then notifying parents and the school resource officer. We were told District's notes regarding the incident show Metro Police did assist in the search starting sometime after five p-m. So we asked whether that procedure - which took around an hour - is appropriate when the missing child is so young. In response to this incident – we were told protocols have been put in place at Largo-Tibet to have a closer monitor during dismissal time.

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Aslen
by Ruby Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:11 AM

BUMP!

Aslen
by Ruby Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:20 AM

BUMP!

redhead-bedhead
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:25 AM
1 mom liked this
I would be pissed at the school but also make sure to teach her to stay at the school.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Elle.tea.22
by Ruby Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:27 AM
1 mom liked this
I disappeared from my daycare :) I ran for the fence and said I was running away. The kids ran inside to tell the teacher and I ran in but hid in a class room under a table.
The kids were all sent home, police called, all the teachers were out in the near forest looking for me... When I saw my grandmas feet I came out and said "here I am!" Lol
ForeverInLove
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:28 AM
2 moms liked this

OMG!

The FIRST thing that should happen, is police notified, an then parents called. I'm sorry, but this child is FIVE. It sounds like this school does most things outdoors, so I would worry that those two hours they took, this child could have been adbucted, or worse. Isn't it int he first two hours, that if they can find the child they are usually fine, but after two hours, they start considering worse?

Two hours... I'd be irate, and I'd also remove my child from the school. That is NOT ok. EVER!

LyTe684
by Ruby Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:28 AM
1 mom liked this

They should have restrooms in the class for kids that small.

They probably didn't call the cops because they thought she was still in the building. But an hour was too long to wait to call. 20 minutes okay. An hour? No. But given that it was dismissal time, how did no one notice a 5y/o leaving on her own? Where I live, they don't let the kids out of sight until they can see the person picking the child up.

Also, I hope the kid didn't get off with no punishment for walking away. The child does need to be taught that under NO CIRCUMSTANCE is it okay to do what she did.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:29 AM
She got confused. It happened to me at that age too.

Quoting redhead-bedhead:

I would be pissed at the school but also make sure to teach her to stay at the school.
livelaughlov26
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:30 AM
I live about half an hour from savannah. That's scary. :(
LyTe684
by Ruby Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:32 AM

She wasn't confused in the part where she left with some kids in hopes to play with them. That is where the parents need to talk to her.

She was lost in the building, when she exited the restroom, but knew how to get to the front of the building.

There should have been a security guard at the front of the building also.

Quoting Anonymous:

She got confused. It happened to me at that age too.

Quoting redhead-bedhead:

Aslen
by Ruby Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:32 AM
1 mom liked this

Not only that, but WHY are we hearing about it almost a MONTH later? Charlie is being withdrawn TODAY. There is no school officer at the school, the PARENT called the cops and was tols the call had to come from the school resource officer!

I like the teacher, i really do. She needs to be FIRED. There really is NO excuse for this to happen, (the little girl walked out the front door of the school; it's fenced all the way around) and the actions of the staff tell me I need to moe... and FAST

Quoting ForeverInLove:

OMG!

The FIRST thing that should happen, is police notified, an then parents called. I'm sorry, but this child is FIVE. It sounds like this school does most things outdoors, so I would worry that those two hours they took, this child could have been adbucted, or worse. Isn't it int he first two hours, that if they can find the child they are usually fine, but after two hours, they start considering worse?

Two hours... I'd be irate, and I'd also remove my child from the school. That is NOT ok. EVER!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)