Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Step children...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 42 Replies
Does step children get treated differently in most cases (by non biological parents step parents etc)? Every kid Iv been around says they do!! Can adults really be cruel?
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jojo_star
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:31 AM

I'm sure adults can be that cruel. I have a stepson, and I don't treat him any differently than I treat my biological son, or the niece and nephew that we are raising. I love all four of my children, whether I gave birth to them or not, they're mine. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Of course kids will say they do. Most kids think they are treated differently than their biological siblings. I am sure some are and some aren't. Yes some adults are cruel, and then some kids are not seeing things from the same perspective either.

edelweiss23
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:33 AM
My husband treats my daughters better then his biological child(mostly because our child is a baby and the girls are older)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:37 AM
My sons father treats his step son better than his own son since he's 6 and can walk, talk, is potty trained etc. our baby is delayed in walking, not sleeping through the night and isn't independent so he has no interest in him unless his grandparents take care of him for him. POS. step mom has only met my son twice.
squeakersmama
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:46 AM
My stepdad has always treated me as if I were his. I also treat my sd as if she were mine. I've been with her dad since she was a month old, so it's easy for me to do so since she was so itty bitty when I came into the picture. I'm pretty lucky though, bm doesn't have a problem with me being 100% involved with everything that has to do with sd!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:55 AM

The ex made it impossible for me to build a relationship with dsd.  The ex told dsd we had dd to replace her.  That her dad didn't love heras much, cause he wished she was a boy.  Told her that dh and her would get back together if I wasn't around.  Every time she would visit and go home the phone was ringing before dh was even home, because things would get twisted around anything I said.  We had dsd evaluated by a psychologist when she was 17 cause she was going down the wrong path, and the psychologist said she was developmentally 2 yrs behind because of all the negativity that had been instilled in her.  The ex and dsd got kicked out of counseling.  I was never allowed to correct her.  I had to call dh or the ex about it.  I sure didn't let her disrespect me though.  This went on from the time she was 11 to the age of 16.  Dh finally told the ex he wasn't forcing her to visit ant longer.  Dh did switch to going and taking her out himself for the day so their visit wouldn't be misunderstood with me there.  It was so hard trying to be a combined family, cause the ex made it that way.  Dsd is 26 now and 2 kids of her own.  We don't have a strained relationship like we used to, even though the ex still puts her two cents in.

littlemrsd
by Silver Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:44 AM

My husband loves my daughter, she was 2 when I met him. They have an amazing relationship, I couldn't ask for a better dad for my daughters. His family on the other hand, are all about blood. They throw up step & not being blood all of the time. They treat her different and my other daughter different, who happens to be their "blood". We don't take our children around them. It's a horrible situation that I don't want either of them. I feel that if the man loves the women there is not difference in the children. I come from a blended family, but to me we are a whole family. 

kiermac1
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:48 AM
My husbands treats my 2 year old like she is his. Her real dad left me when I was pregnant with her and hasn't contacted me since. Took a little time for him to warm up to her but he literally does everything for her. She needs anything he is here. And you wouldn't even know she wasn't his with there amazing relationship. We just had a baby she's 4 months and he treats the oldest the same as her, with love and affection. He's an amazing dad, and we ever broke up he would still see my daughter becauses he's the only dad she has ever known for 2 years.
kiermac1
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:50 AM
I'm sorry to hear they are like that :( my husbands family calls themselves grandparents to my daughter... I hope eventually they change.

Quoting littlemrsd:

My husband loves my daughter, she was 2 when I met him. They have an amazing relationship, I couldn't ask for a better dad for my daughters. His family on the other hand, are all about blood. They throw up step & not being blood all of the time. They treat her different and my other daughter different, who happens to be their "blood". We don't take our children around them. It's a horrible situation that I don't want either of them. I feel that if the man loves the women there is not difference in the children. I come from a blended family, but to me we are a whole family. 

Rain2Rinse
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:50 AM
My husband treats my daughter like she is a princess, unfortunately. I remember the first time he told her no, and she went to bed crying. His feelings were so hurt. He came to me so upset, "I just want her to smile and be happy!"

She is our only child, as he has nine f his own. We are currently pregnant, and he says he worries he won't love our son as much as he loves dd because she was his first child. He's always saying our unborn son has a lot to live up to.

I would treat a stepchild differently, which is why I don't have any.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)