Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Coffee Coffee Coffee

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:02 AM
  • 73 Replies
When DH was laid off we decided to cut back on little things to make our savings last longer. I would spend-and I'm not kidding-we looked at our credit card and bank statements when he was laid off-about &75 a week on purchased coffee. That's ridiculous, I know. But we could afford it before and I'm not a HUGE shopper.

Nonetheless, since my husband took a paycut at his current job and my new full-time job doesn't quite make up the difference, I decided to cut back.

I drink A LOT of coffee. Coffee is one of the few things I really love. I would start in the morning with my hot coffee from Dunkin Donuts. Most mornings DH would get up to go to the gym before work (around 5am) and then stop there on his way home and bring it to me. Other mornings, DS and I would walk there.

If I worked (about 3-4 times a week before) I would usually stop at Starbucks because I work in a mall/shopping center once or twice and get a larged iced coffee or latte depending on which mall I was at. Every now and then I'd get a hot coffee-but usually during the day its iced.

On the way home, depending on my homework I would stop again and get an iced coffee.

Well, I've started MAKING my own coffee and I'm really lucky because near us there's a speciality coffee shop and I can get gourmet flavors for a what I think is a decent price. They sell the beans, grinds, what have you, as well as gourmet syrups.

Today I made 's'mores coffee. They have a Dutch chocolate flavor and this belnd called "Frosty's Favorite." It has cinnamon, graham crackers, stuff like that. Its a little Christmas-y but that's alright. So I do one part Dutch chocolate and one part Frosty and then I do three pumps marshmallow syrup. Add a little creamer and a teaspoon of sugar and I'm good to go!

Its saving us a nice little chunk of change PLUS I think sometimes it tastes better than the stuff I was buying.

How do you make your coffee? Do you have any specialty blends?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
WithHope
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:05 AM
I love my Keurig at home and drink douwe egberts at work. Both are delicious and almost always better than when I run out of time and stop at Tim Hortons.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
spooky415
by Emerald Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:08 AM
I LOVE my Keurig but I find I'm not using it as much. I need to get a new reusable K-Cup thing for my specialties. Right now I'm just using our regular old coffee pot-especially when I make iced coffee-and our fancy espresso machine that I finally figured out how to use.

Quoting WithHope:

I love my Keurig at home and drink douwe egberts at work. Both are delicious and almost always better than when I run out of time and stop at Tim Hortons.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:11 AM
We use Folgers at home with Pumpkin Spice Creamer I drink at least three cups of that before I leave for work then on the way to work I stop at DD to get an extra large hot and on my lunch I grab an Iced Coffee from DD. I spend way too much at Dunkin but I'm addicted!
spooky415
by Emerald Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:13 AM
I like Dunkin Donuts coffee. I picked some of their french vanilla to make at home.

However, the problem I have is that some of the ones around here don't make the iced coffee right. Their iced lattes are usually spot on-the caramel one is really good-but their iced coffee is sometimes too weak and watery. So I just spend the extra buck and get it at Starbucks. Or would, rather.

Now I make it myself!

Quoting Anonymous:

We use Folgers at home with Pumpkin Spice Creamer I drink at least three cups of that before I leave for work then on the way to work I stop at DD to get an extra large hot and on my lunch I grab an Iced Coffee from DD. I spend way too much at Dunkin but I'm addicted!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Diamepphyre
by Ruby Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:13 AM

We rarely buy coffee unless we're travelling and can't make our own.  We did splurge on a Keurig last Christmas and love it.  We have the personal k-cups and still use our own coffee versus buying the ridiculously overpriced prepackaged stuff, but will buy variety packs when we're expecting company.

beco8627
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:14 AM
Nothing special. Just Folgers with International Delight French vanilla creamer. I'm a coffeeholic and literally can't go without it :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
spooky415
by Emerald Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:14 AM
I love my Keurig but I REALLY liked the reusable K-Cup.

I was getting bored with the pre-packaged K-cups.

Quoting Diamepphyre:

We rarely buy coffee unless we're travelling and can't make our own.  We did splurge on a Keurig last Christmas and love it. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
spooky415
by Emerald Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:16 AM
1 mom liked this
If I don't get my coffee I'm not very nice lol. DH knows if we have to get up early he better be up 15mins ahead of me a-brewin' lol.

Quoting beco8627:

Nothing special. Just Folgers with International Delight French vanilla creamer. I'm a coffeeholic and literally can't go without it :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HelloSweetie
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:17 AM

I drink 2 cups of black Folgers :P lol

spooky415
by Emerald Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:19 AM
I'm not a badass. I can't drink my coffee black anymore lol.

Quoting HelloSweetie:

I drink 2 cups of black Folgers :P lol

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)