Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Informed consent and denying procedures ahead of time?

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:13 AM
  • 7 Replies

Need some advice on my informed consent paper work. I have the option to decline procedures ahead of time I guess. The first one is about assisted delivery, and I honestly don't like the idea of forceps or a vacuum being used to assist delivery. I kind of feel that if it came to that it would be safer for my little one and me to just go to the operating room.

Has anyone ever just completely denied an assisted delivery ahead of time?  I'm just shy of 37 weeks, so she can be born any day basically.  I need to make a decision.

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:20 AM
I think the vacuum or foreceps are safer than being cut open and having your baby removed.
almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:23 AM

i've never filled out paper work ahead of time like that.  i would probably not fill them out & make those decision if the need arose.

christina0607
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:25 AM

I never filled out any paper work concerning that. I loved my midwife and knew she knew what was best for me and my children. Had she suggested anything I would have trusted her.....if I didn;t I wouldn't;t have been trusting her with my health for the 9months before that. 

gypsy_rose
by Kandy on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:30 AM
If your baby is stuck whete tney can use forceps it is more dangeroius to get the surgery. Think of how much extra time it would take to prep you for surgery. If they were already down and just atuck they could not do a spinal they wpuld neef to do general which is not safw.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kapzilla
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:35 AM

What's making it so hard for me are all the stories I've heard.  I've personally heard more negative forcep and vacuum stories than I have of c-sections.  I remember seeing people post pictures of their babies with scars from the forceps, and then stories of brain damage from a vacuum.  It kind of scares me.

I think I'm gonna leave it blank and actually have a thorough conversation about it with my doctor.  I've never had the option of consenting or declining ahead of time, so I want to make sure I make the right choice.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:40 AM
When I had my son, my dh and I were completely against using forceps, or vaccum. While pushing, the doctor said she needed consent to use them. All I did was take a split second to look at my dh for his opinion, and thr bitch started screaming at me that she needed consent right now, or I was going for an emergency csection. I swear it hadnt been more than 2 seconds since she asked, to the time she was screaming. I consented, the forceps didnt work, I had him 2 mins later without them. I was mad at myself for consenting, but at the same time, everything worked out and maybe she thought it was truly an emergency. Still though, she could have at least been calm and nice, yelling at me was unneccesary.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Remember that these forms are not to protect you.  They are to protect the doctor and the hospital from a lawsuit if they perform a procedure in an emergency and you decide later that you didn't want it done.  

Remember that some emergencies do require swift intervention.  My daughter-in-law experienced an issue during childbirth that would have killed both her and the baby without an emergency c-section within 10 minutes.  She had been intending to have a home birth since she was healthy, young, and had an uneventful pregnancy, but changed her mind at about 7 months.  She thanks god every day that she changed her mind, or she and the baby wouldn't be here. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)