Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can Anyone Explain This To Me?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 7 Replies

So this is what I don't understand.

Someone commits a crime. They get caught, and sentenced to life in prison or something equally as long like 125 years. They have no possibility of parole so they will never get out of prison.

But then, the authorities find out they committed a crime somewhere else. So they use time, money and resources to extradite that person, and then use more time, money and resources on a trial to find that person guilty.

What's the point of that? They are already spending the rest of their lives in prison. You can't add more time to a life sentence, and it would be silly to add more time to a sentence like 100 years since you know they won't live long enough to do that much time.

I understand families wanting justice if it was something like a murder, but like I said, they are already in prison for life. Why go through the trial when they aren't going to get more time then they already have? It's not like they have a 20 year sentence and then they got another 20 years for another crime. They are already in prison until they die.

And some of the cases that prisoners serving life terms are extradited for aren't even murder. It could be like a bank robbery, yet even though they are already in prison for life authorities feel the need to prosecute them all over again.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:12 AM

I have never heard of someone who is already in prison with a life sentence being extradited for crimes in another state

have any cases where it happened?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Oh I hear it all the time.

I watch a lot of true life crime stories, like stories that really happened.

And they will say something like *She got life in prison with no parole for killing her DH, but then was extradited for the murder of someone else*

Or like I said in some cases not even murder, some cases other crimes like a robbery, fraud, etc.

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

I have never heard of someone who is already in prison with a life sentence being extradited for crimes in another state

have any cases where it happened?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:17 AM

JUSTICE! For the victim or their families

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Adding to this. People need closure and sometimes justice is the only way to do that.

Quoting Anonymous:

Rocks678
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:20 AM

What if that person isn't found guilty?  Don't they still need to find out who did it?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:21 AM

OK. I could understand that if your family member was murdered, etc.

But what about when they are extradited because they robbed a bank or something? The bank does not need to prosecute again. The person is already in prison for life. Prosecuting won't get their money back. Yeah it might make them feel better but it won't give them more time.

It's things like that I don't get.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Not necessarily..because if you know they did it, then you would not need to look for someone else. You just know they did it but were found not guilty for whatever reason.

Quoting Rocks678:

What if that person isn't found guilty?  Don't they still need to find out who did it?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)