Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Discussing scripture and the Bible while at a restaurant

ETA: To clarify, this thread was started as a means to have a different type of discussion in this group. I posed the questions to get everyone talking if they wanted to take part and maybe even debate. FTR, I agree that no one should be offended by the context of their conversation....and we weren't.

Yesterday, my Dh, youngest daughter and I went out to lunch at a local Mexican food restaurant. We had some time to kill while our son was at a mandatory meeting at the animal hospital he works at.

We were already seated and waiting for our food when a threesome came in--a Mom, her son and her DIL from what we could overhear from the Mom talking on the phone about who she was with.

They began discussing the Bible, scripture and in general, God.

Would this offend you and especially if you don't believe in God? Would you ask them to tone it down (the Mom was rather loud but the way the tables were situated at this restaurant, we were only about 2 feet from their table) or would you ask to be moved to a different table?

Would you feel that their discussion was infringing on your peaceful meal?

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:56 AM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

No, it wouldn't offend me. I am sorry that you were offended, but it is a free country and it is a public space. Would you have been offended if it was Buddhists or Muslims?  Christianity isn't illegal yet. I probably would have moved or asked them to move.

Interesting choice of words. What's the deal?

DonnaNoble
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:59 PM
I might roll my eyes but no, I wouldn't be offended.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NiamhWitch
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:00 PM

As long as they were not being vulgar, no that wouldn't bother me.  However, if she was as loud as you said, THAT would bother me (not the content of her conversation, but rather her volume... regardless of the topic).  If she was really obnoxiously loud, I might complain and/or ask to be moved.

MicheleJM
by Phoenix on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:00 PM
Exactly. Now if they were acting out that what wa the movie? Harry and Sally fake orgasm scene then yeah...I might be perturbed. Someone starts yelling in tongues yeah thats an issue. A discussion isnt. You all be crazy.

Quoting livingrlovesong:

Seriously? Are you kidding me with this crap? Of course they can have biblical conversation. You can discuss whatever you want. So can anyone else

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KKmommy3
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:00 PM
1 mom liked this

No, they can talk about whatever they want.  They were not swearing and being disruptive.  If you did not like it you could have moved.  

This country is founded on a lot of things, freedom OF religion is one, and people confuse that with freedom FROM religion.  We also have something that is called freedom of speech, and unless they are being outright hurtful to you and are being disruptive, you can't take that away.  

Hearing other people talking and telling stories that you do not believe should make no difference to you.  If you sat and talked about your beliefs I would not care either, because I would be minding my own business. 

momof2girls89
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:02 PM
Im an athiest and no, it wouldn't bother me. I'm very secure in my beliefs
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2Phenley
by Silver Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:04 PM
I'm curious why this is even a question...? Why would you ask someone to stop a discussion? What does it matter what they're talking about? Mind your own business and have your own conversation.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wolfybaby
by Silver Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:04 PM

i am atheist, or, rather, anti-theist. that would not bother or offend me. part of choosing to go out into public and mingling with other humans is dealing with whatever theyve got to say. im all for freedom of speech. if something offends me, i leave. 

i talk about vaccines, circumcision, parenting, and the food-health industry and all of its corruptedness all the time when im out in public. so maybe im just not one for double-standards. but i feel like freedom of speech is a basic human right. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Well it just seems that so many people have issue with Christianity I figure it will become illegal to worship or practice their faith anywhere but inside their homes. Someone has issue with people talking about their faith at a public place and the Christian is supposed to not do it because an athiest might become offended? Wouldn't want to offend someone for believing or not believing. It will become illegal eventually. We are entering a very Godless time.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

No, it wouldn't offend me. I am sorry that you were offended, but it is a free country and it is a public space. Would you have been offended if it was Buddhists or Muslims?  Christianity isn't illegal yet. I probably would have moved or asked them to move.

Interesting choice of words. What's the deal?

CatFishMom
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:04 PM

If they were exceptionally loud, any conversation they were having would have annoyed me-it's called respect those around you and keep your voice to an 'inside' tone, as I tell my kids. But what they are discussing at their own table is THEIR business. I might have rolled my eyes at some of what they said as, being an atheist, it would likely have been ludicrous to me, but I certainly wouldnt be offended or act like an ass by requesting to be moved. It's a free country-that means freedom of religion as well as freedom FROM religion. If I made a stink about them having the right to talk about their beliefs just because they annoyed me, I certainly couldnt say anything about them being annoyed by mine.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN