Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Just got back from court

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My ex decided to take me to court to have his child support lowered because he and his wife can't stop popping out kids they can't afford. They have been married 7 years and they have 3 kids together and she is pregnant again.

He has asked me in the past to lower the child support. The first time, I agreed to lower it by $200 a month (he pays $485 a month for our one child) for a year because his wife was pregnant with their second and they were having a hard time. She wasn't going to be able to go back to work after she had the baby because after daycare for 2 kids, it wasn't going to be worth it (remember that her income has no bearing on child support anyway). About 2 months after that year was up, she got pregnant again this was their 3ird child together, and again,  my ex asked me to lower the child support. At that point I said no. It was one thing when she was pregnant with their second and he asked me but for it to happen again, sorry, they need to plan better.

So we were in court and the judge asked why he wanted the support lowered and my ex told him because he is about to have 5 children total. I told the judge about the year where I let him off $200 a month after their second child. The judge asked him  if he couldn't make his child support payments in full for a while after his 2and child with his wife, why would he go and have 2 more and then expect me to do with less child support because of it? He told the judge that if we were together and had more children, our first child would live on less. The judge agreed that was true but in that case, I would have say over having those children, in this case, obviously, I didn't. My ex went on to tell the judge that I was being greedy and that our DD has more then him and his wife's kids (yeah, because I work, my DH works and we have DD and 2 kids together because we stopped having children so that we could AFFORD all of them). While it was hard, I kept my mouth shut the whole time while he kept talking back to the judge and was clearly getting on his nerves

The judge reviewed the papers and saw that he is making $500 more, per month then he was when child support was ordered. So instead of ordering a decrease in child support, he ordered it to be increased by $130 per month so now it's ordered at $615.

I was thinking about letting my ex just pay the $485 but after the way he talked about me in court, I don't think I will. It also pisses me off that instead of saying "hey, let's stop having children" he says "hey, lets just try to pay less for my first child".

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:00 PM
Replies (41-50):
Dreamly
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Love your judge. The judge here is also a no nonsense woman so I cannot wait to see what my ex comes up with iin court when we go

blsdbyangel07
by Evil Food Lady on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Sounds like you're an awesome mama ;) Seriously.  You agreed the first time.  And if they are struggling WHY continue to have kids?  Pfft!  It makes no sense what so ever!  I don't blame you a bit....  they knew better!  O well for them!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:51 PM
Last, even though she is first with financial support.

Quoting Anonymous:

No, but my DD didn't ask to have a father who puts her last among his children. My DD is my responsibility, not his kids with his wife.

Quoting mommy_me:

Poor babies. They didn't ask to be born to such greedy people

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:52 PM

He just kicked himself in the ass!

Miller0305
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:52 PM
Awesome! Glad the judge saw through him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:53 PM
But it's enough reason for the other kids to suffer?

Quoting brookegregory:

im happy that the judge is making him pay more.. not urs or ur dd fault he keeps having kids so no reason for yall to suffer!!
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:55 PM

That doesn't mean she can't work evenings at a crap job when he's home to watch their brood. That's just an excuse they want to use. ;) Next time he brings it up, bring up jobs that she can work while HE watches his basketball team of kids at night.

Quoting Anonymous:

The problem is, now they are fixing to have 4 kids at home and only 1 is in school. The amount they would spend on daycare would be more then she would make (she was a cashier at a grocery store before she quit working).

Quoting Anonymous:

Sounds like his wife needs to go find a job!!!

2pink1blue
by Silver Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Good for you.  

Do them a favor and buy them a copy of the book, Taking Charge of Your Fertility.  They need to learn exactly how to how babies are made and how to avoid making more until they are in a better place financially.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:56 PM

I would say the fact that he and his wife KNEW they couldn't afford more children, and kept going on to have them, is the reason why those kids suffer- not because of the first child born.

I would likely just lower it myself back to what it was originally, but I wouldn't lower it further just because he wants to keep having kids he can't afford.

Quoting Anonymous:

But it's enough reason for the other kids to suffer?

Quoting brookegregory:

im happy that the judge is making him pay more.. not urs or ur dd fault he keeps having kids so no reason for yall to suffer!!

rockgal81
by Steph on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:56 PM
Ha! What a dick! He totally got what he deserved lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)