Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice on my 2 year old, please

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:45 PM
  • 48 Replies

My 2 yo has picked up the bad habit of cursing... 

I've tried telling her over and over that its bad to talk like that, in a nice tone and in a stern one.

i really don't know what else to do. Time outs make her laugh and I'm not a popping mommy so, please do not stay to pop her and especially do not tell me to put soap in her mouth... 

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sfkdny
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:47 PM
3 moms liked this

ignore it, she will stop

ame85
by Chemistry cat on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Just ignore her.  The novelty will wear off and she will move on to something else that will drive you nuts.

CharlotteRose
by Silver Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:47 PM

i would never tell you to put soap in her mouth nor pop her, when my kids would swear I would ignore them because they were doing it to get attention and to see my reaction, a time out is better than no attention kwim?

Leissaintexas
by Emerald Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Garbage in, garbage out. THey only say what they hear. Clean it up at home, Momma.

brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:49 PM

I have discovered a ticket system but she might be to young to understand that. try taking her favorite toy for 5 mns every time she says a bad word. Re enforcing it with simple sentances as to why she lost the toy. make her repeat what she did wrong before she can get it back.

Not for everyone

lauren.m
by Ruby Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:49 PM
Completely ignore anything she says if it involves cussing. Dont cuss around her. Stick to it. If she sees that doing it gets your attention she will make a game out of it. If she sees you dont react at all it will become boring and she will stop.
ksueditz
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:49 PM
Ignore it. She just wants a reaction.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mmyof2armywife
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:50 PM

I don't talk like that in front of my children. I'm thinking she learned it when she was around her bf because that's when it started. His favorite word is fu... And she was saying that but now its d... It and others /:

Quoting Leissaintexas:

Garbage in, garbage out. THey only say what they hear. Clean it up at home, Momma.

ambermarie2006
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Your 2 year old has a bf?

Quoting mmyof2armywife:

I don't talk like that in front of my children. I'm thinking she learned it when she was around her bf because that's when it started. His favorite word is fu... And she was saying that but now its d... It and others /:

Quoting Leissaintexas:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Night_Roane
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Ok so time out doesn't work and spanking is an out. So let's try something else. You've heard of a reward chart, I'm sure, so how about the opposite? Create a "bad word" chart. Each time she says a no-no word, she gets a frowny face. It'll visually show her, and you can reiterate that this is a no-no word. After three frowny faces, take away something that she likes - TV or a favorite toy, doll, or stuffed animal. One frowny face goes away each hour (or 30min, whichever you prefer) that she doesn't say a no-no word, and when there's no more frowny faces she gets her toy or TV back (make a big deal about how you're so happy that she's saying nice words). And most importantly make sure that YOU don't curse, and if someone in your family curses around you frown at them and tell them that's a no-no word just like you would do with your daughter (she'll see that it's not just her then).

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)