Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

am I clueless or was she trying to tell me something? was my 13yr old sd telling me she had a pregnancy scare?

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:38 PM
  • 9 Replies

My sd is 13 and lives in another state. I have never met her in the 9 years I have been married to her dad (long story), but we SKYPE all the time and have a great phone relationship. She has turned to me for support several times and I have gladly been there for her. I love her very much.

She called me when she first got her period about a year ago, I was the second person she told, mom was first, of course. I told her about the website I use to track mine, and then emailed her mom the info and she set up an account for her.

Two days ago, she called me and in the course of chatting she told me she got her period at school that day and wasnt prepared. Then she said something that dinged in my head AFTER I got off the phone with her that worried me. She said, "I just realized the other day I had not had my period. . I was really worried when I thought how late I was..I was like, Oh my God" I asked her was she using the website, it should have emailed her to tell her she was due to start so she could bring stuff with her and she said she hadnt been paying much attention. I know she has a boyfriend and spends a LOT of time with him. She says she loves him and he comes to her house after school while her mother is at work. It didnt occur to me until we had hung up that she might have been trying to tell me she had a pregnancy scare. I know at that age they like to think they are grown but seriously, why would she be worried if she was late? The thing that worries me the most is that her mom had her at 17 and my dh's whole family seems to think if you dont have your first by freshman year you are behind. Of course it could be that she was worried that something other than a pregnancy was wrong, but I dont know, I have only had boys, lol so I am afraid I might be reading to much into this or totally missing a clue here. Help?

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mlg1989
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:39 PM
I really have no idea. Maybe see if she would be able to come visit for a weekend really soon? Then take her out and see if she will tell you her concerns
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
..MoonShine..
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Ask her. Approach carefully, of course, but ask her. 

shivasgirl
by Ruby Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:42 PM

I would love to, but I probably wont even get to meet her until she is 18. There was a lot of bad blood between her parents when she was small and her mother only started letting us have phone contact 5 years ago. Anything I get has to be done over the phone or SKYPE. I just dont want to blow anything out of proportion if there is nothing there, or to blow anything off if there is, kwim?

Quoting mlg1989:

I really have no idea. Maybe see if she would be able to come visit for a weekend really soon? Then take her out and see if she will tell you her concerns

GreenEyePixie
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:44 PM
Yikes! Btw what is that website. I have a friend looking for a good site, but I have no clue where to point her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mlg1989
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:45 PM
yeah i gotcha. I dont know. just straight up ask her over skype. "is there anything you meant when you told me that you were late for your period the other day?". She might not know HOW to tell you and might be hoping you kinda figure it out so she wont have to come out and say it. Obviously she would be scared out of her mind to tell anyone if she was.
worth a try?

Quoting shivasgirl:

I would love to, but I probably wont even get to meet her until she is 18. There was a lot of bad blood between her parents when she was small and her mother only started letting us have phone contact 5 years ago. Anything I get has to be done over the phone or SKYPE. I just dont want to blow anything out of proportion if there is nothing there, or to blow anything off if there is, kwim?

Quoting mlg1989:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
shivasgirl
by Ruby Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:45 PM

www.cyclespage.com

Quoting GreenEyePixie:

Yikes! Btw what is that website. I have a friend looking for a good site, but I have no clue where to point her.

GreenEyePixie
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:46 PM
Thanks.

Quoting shivasgirl:

www.cyclespage.com

Quoting GreenEyePixie:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:12 PM
1 mom liked this
I think you should ask her why she was worried. That's not accusing her of anything, its showing concern for something she expressed concern about. There are a number of reasons a period could be late. As women, we know a lot of factors can effect our cycle, but at that age, being a relatively new inductee,you ddon't fully grasp this. It can be scary whether there's reason for a pregnancy scare or not.
jesistar6910
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Considering her age, it should be no surprise that it was "late." Early menses can be very irregular. I didn't get one monthly until 2, maybe 3 years after I first started menstruating.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)