Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This made me so sad...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 12 Replies
We're not wealthy people, the exact opposite exactly (we recieve a little bit of pa, but we don't go all out with the applications)

I volunteered to work @ the book fair at ds's school today. Because I volunteered ds recieved a free book of his choosing. I told him this when his class came in & he went off to look. A few minutes later he came back over to the checkout table with a sad look on his face "Mom.. I can't find the cheap books." I quietly explained to him that he could pick any book he wanted, price didn't matter. He looked at me like I was insane but said ok & came back a few minutes later with a Pokemon book and asked "Even this one? Even though it's $5?" Of course he was elated when I told him that he could have that book.

I know that $5 is sometimes a lot of money to our family, but the thought that my little guy thought he was doing something bad by treating himself to any book he wanted without worrying about price? I have to admit it made me really sad. My heart was in my stomach. :(
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:29 PM

:( my kids are the same way. they know i can't always afford to buy the latest game or even an expensive pair of sneakers so most of the time they don't ask :(

VintageWife
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Bless his heart :(

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:33 PM
Sone days it just hits me harder than others. This is the same child who saved his birthday money and change for months so he could buy the sneakers he wanted. A $40 pair if shoes that I couldn't afford. For crying out loud shoes? He's 8 & he saved for shoes? Because I'm a horrible parent who made mistakes that my kids are now paying for... Now I want to cry.

Quoting Anonymous:

:( my kids are the same way. they know i can't always afford to buy the latest game or even an expensive pair of sneakers so most of the time they don't ask :(

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:34 PM
He really is the sweetest kid.

Quoting VintageWife:

Bless his heart :(

iluvsn85
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:34 PM
2 moms liked this
He sounds like hes a sweet boy. I love to see kids who are considerate of their family and others. Better him ve humble then a brat and screaming bc he cant have 10 books or whatever..

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:37 PM

You're not a horrible parent, it's just horrible times :-P financially difficult to say the least. I only know a few couples that actually have $ in their savings that isn't already accounted for and spent. I have $8.48 in my savings, ugh.

Quoting Anonymous:

Sone days it just hits me harder than others. This is the same child who saved his birthday money and change for months so he could buy the sneakers he wanted. A $40 pair if shoes that I couldn't afford. For crying out loud shoes? He's 8 & he saved for shoes? Because I'm a horrible parent who made mistakes that my kids are now paying for... Now I want to cry.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:40 PM
1 mom liked this
I bet when he grows up he will be able to mange money, know how to respect adults/ his girlfriends and wife, be an amazing Dad, and will have a huge heart. Its hard now but in the long run, he will thank you for being a Mom who could give him love, even though you could not afford everything he wanted..
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:40 PM
Yes, I know the feeling. I'm a SAHM right now. Dh makes good money *when he works* but he's a subcontractor in the defense industry and contracts have been canceled due to budget cuts. So it's been kind of tight. Anyway, dd is used to having things (no, she's not spoiled at all, what I mean is that there has always been plenty of money if she wants something, and she does well in school so she is rewarded). Her grades dropped in one class so fun things are restricted until the grade comes up. Well we were at a store recently, which was a trip we'd planned before we got her report card, and told her this time she only had $20 to spend. We asked if she knew why and she said, "Because we can't afford it." We told her no, it was because of her grades, but man, did that make my heart sink :(
PISCIS29
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:44 PM
Know the feeling
LovelyMommy24
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:46 PM
Thia exactly! Love it.

Quoting Anonymous:

I bet when he grows up he will be able to mange money, know how to respect adults/ his girlfriends and wife, be an amazing Dad, and will have a huge heart. Its hard now but in the long run, he will thank you for being a Mom who could give him love, even though you could not afford everything he wanted..
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)