Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

7 things we should be telling our daughters

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:33 PM
  • 48 Replies
10 moms liked this

Seven Things We Must Tell Our Daughters:

1. You are Valuable:: She needs to know she is important and so valued that you will protect her with rules and boundaries because you love her. There is safety and comfort within those restrictions, even when she pushes against them.
  2. Your Worth Isn’t Based on Your Appearance:: She needs to be told she is beautiful–not because she’s wearing a sassy outfit or new lipgloss–her worth is not found in her appearance, the opinions of others or herself.  Her worth is found in all of her characteristics, her personality and how she treats others.  Her appearance has little to do with true beauty and her worth isn’t wrapped up in looking good or being perfect.
  3. You Don’t Need a Guy:: She needs to hear starting at a young age (but it’s never too late to start telling her). She needs to be told a boy doesn’t complete her. Chasing or enticing or wanting a guy doesn’t make her attractive and it doesn’t make her a woman. The only guy she needs in her life for a long time is her Dad or a father figure until she finds that one guy that she wants to marry.
  4. You Are Amazing:: Our daughters need to hear we are proud of them. She is enough. Tell her out of all the girls in the world, you’d always choose her. Sadly, she will be tempted to spend a lot of time in life trying to prove her value to others. Create an atmosphere where she is loved, just like she is.
  5. You Don’t Have to Believe What You Hear:: She needs to hear your affirming voice in her head. Because there will be mean girls in her life, peer pressure and adults in her world who will let her down and have low expectations of her. She needs to hear the opposite at home, your voice will lead her and she’ll know who to listen to.
  6. You Have Me:: No matter what happens in life, the ups and downs that will come her way, the losses and gains, our daughters must know we are there for them. She needs to know she can talk to you about anything. Anytime.
  7. You Can Change the World:: She needs to know she can dream big and can accomplish whatever she wishes.  She can be anything she wants to be with your help. Stand by her, with her and watch her fly.

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:35 PM

I tell both my children this every day!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

mistie900
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:39 PM

I hope my daughter realizes all these things.

MIA0223
by Emerald Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:40 PM
Agreed!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blues_pagan
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Instead of having her realize them you should be vocal about it.

Quoting mistie900:

danie24
by Ruby Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:41 PM
We tell our daughter and our son
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mistie900
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Oh I am. I'm just saying I hope she realizes these things, instead of not believing me. If that makes sense.

Quoting blues_pagan:

Quoting mistie900:

bcoll
by Brandi on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:41 PM
Agreed. My children hear this all the time :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
blues_pagan
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:42 PM

Oh, that makes sense.  I am sure you will run into some disbelief but I can assure you that when she is older she will thank you.

Quoting mistie900:

Oh I am. I'm just saying I hope she realizes these things, instead of not believing me. If that makes sense.

Quoting blues_pagan:

Quoting mistie900:

dudestfd
by Silver Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:42 PM

This was great until I got to the pic... then it all went out the window lol 

AnHpuresugar
by Ruby Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:42 PM

I like this.  I'm printing it out even though I do most of these things anyway.  I don't tell her that she doesn't need a guy in her life.  She is only seven.  The only guys in her life are her dad, brother and grandpa.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)