Seven Things We Must Tell Our Daughters:
- You are Valuable:: She needs to know she is important and so valued that you will protect her with rules and boundaries because you love her. There is safety and comfort within those restrictions, even when she pushes against them.
- Your Worth Isn’t Based on Your Appearance:: She needs to be told she is beautiful–not because she’s wearing a sassy outfit or new lipgloss–her worth is not found in her appearance, the opinions of others or herself. Her worth is found in all of her characteristics, her personality and how she treats others. Her appearance has little to do with true beauty and her worth isn’t wrapped up in looking good or being perfect.
- You Don’t Need a Guy:: She needs to hear starting at a young age (but it’s never too late to start telling her). She needs to be told a boy doesn’t complete her. Chasing or enticing or wanting a guy doesn’t make her attractive and it doesn’t make her a woman. The only guy she needs in her life for a long time is her Dad or a father figure until she finds that one guy that she wants to marry.
- You Are Amazing:: Our daughters need to hear we are proud of them. She is enough. Tell her out of all the girls in the world, you’d always choose her. Sadly, she will be tempted to spend a lot of time in life trying to prove her value to others. Create an atmosphere where she is loved, just like she is.
- You Don’t Have to Believe What You Hear:: She needs to hear your affirming voice in her head. Because there will be mean girls in her life, peer pressure and adults in her world who will let her down and have low expectations of her. She needs to hear the opposite at home, your voice will lead her and she’ll know who to listen to.
- You Have Me:: No matter what happens in life, the ups and downs that will come her way, the losses and gains, our daughters must know we are there for them. She needs to know she can talk to you about anything. Anytime.
- You Can Change the World:: She needs to know she can dream big and can accomplish whatever she wishes. She can be anything she wants to be with your help. Stand by her, with her and watch her fly.