Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why do people think Catholics worship Mary?

Posted by   + Show Post

So in our homeschool co-op today, we were talking about Brazil and how 75% of the inhabitants are Catholic. The class was 1-3 graders, and one of the kids said that Catholics were bad. I said that wasn't true and asked why she thought that. Another kid piped in with "because they worship Mary".

That is not the first time I have heard that claim, and I am curious to know why that assumption is made. So, why?

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 4:38 PM
Replies (71-80):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 13 on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Because they ignorant, sanctimonious asses
LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:02 PM
I always thought that because i have seen people literally bowing down and praying to her statue.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kaylasmom22
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:04 PM
This,Jehova Witness don't pray to Mary but we do. She is our mother and that's why we pray the rosary

Quoting HousewifeNina:

We worship God. We pray to Mary to intercede on our behalf. We pray to.all saints including our departed loved ones to intercede on our behalf.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mommyrustina
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:36 PM

That, actually, was what bothered me most about the conversation that I had with the kids in that class. I am waiting to receive some angry emails or phone calls from parents because I disrupted the conditioning of their precious snowflakes!

Quoting Anonymous:

You know, I'm not catholic and I don't agree with all the beliefs, but what I don't like about this is that such young children are calling a group of people evil when they probably don't understand what they are saying or talking about, they are repeating the prejudices of their parents. What is the point of telling a child especially that young that all Catholics are evil?

beesbad
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:30 AM
2 moms liked this

People believe lies about the Catholic church because they are taught those lies by people they trust.

For those that are interested here is a good website that explains Catholic beliefs to Evangelicals: Catholic Bridge

Catholics mainly worship during the Mass, we also pray during the Mass, but prayer does not equal worship for Catholics. The original meaning of PRAY (and if you look at Merriam-Webster, the first meaning) is to humbly entreat or request. When Protestants first rejected the Mass they lost their way to worship so they had to substitute prayer instead. Gradually the meaning of the word pray became synonymous with worship for the non-Catholic.

So when a Catholic prays they are making a request. If a Catholic is guilty of worshiping Mary by asking her to pray for us then Evangelicals are guilty of worshiping their friends when they ask the same thing of them.

As a previous poster pointed out the Hail Mary is basically a prayer asking Mary to pray for us, the first part corresponds to the angel's greeting and Elizabeth's greeting of Mary (Lk 1:28 & 2:42) and the second part is a request for Mary's prayers for us. 

Several posters have said the Rosary is worship of Mary, that is not true because the rosary isn't about Mary, it's about Jesus. As we pray the rosary we meditate on events in the life of Jesus. During the 40 days before Easter (Lent) we pray the Sorrowful Mysteries, one mystery for every decade of the rosary as follows: the agony in the garden, the scourging at the pillar, the crowning with thorns, the carrying of the cross, and the crucifixion and death of our Lord.

Still others have claimed that the halo in religious painting proves that Catholics worship the saints and Mary. The halo represents the light God's grace in a person's soul, it isn't an indication that the person is divine.

kansasmom1978
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:32 AM

I grew up Catholic. I was never taught to worship Mary. She is the mother of God. But we worshipped Jesus. Im Lutheran now and we definitely dont worship Mary, we dont even pray to her.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 14 on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:37 AM
This is exactly why people think that. The bible says that Messiah is the only one who can intercede on our behalf.

Quoting Babujai:

Because they misunderstand or don't know about the role of intercession that Mary and the Saints are believed to have.  They see (or hear) that Catholics pray to Mary and assume Mary must be the object of their worship instead of understanding that Mary carries the prayer to God.  This is how I've explained Catholicism to my children anyway.

Tiffany_AvonRep
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:38 AM

Because Catholics pray to Mary. For some, the act of praying is a form of worship.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 15 on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:45 AM

they have statues of her in their churches and pray to her.  Sounds like worship to me.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 16 on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:47 AM

I grew up Catholic. I stopped being Catholic when I became an adult. There are many resons why, but one was the praying to Mary. There are many things Catholics do that are not Biblical. I don't have a problem with Catholics, but I don't agree with many things they practice and believe.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)