Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why do people think Catholics worship Mary?

Posted by   + Show Post

So in our homeschool co-op today, we were talking about Brazil and how 75% of the inhabitants are Catholic. The class was 1-3 graders, and one of the kids said that Catholics were bad. I said that wasn't true and asked why she thought that. Another kid piped in with "because they worship Mary".

That is not the first time I have heard that claim, and I am curious to know why that assumption is made. So, why?

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 4:38 PM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Yes I've also heard that Catholics aren't Christian. Lol idiots!

mich.el.le
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:08 PM

I think South American Catholicism is different than what we have here in the STates, but it's because some people elevate her to almost a goddess status when she was nothing more than an obedient girl.

my4yahoos
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:08 PM
1 mom liked this
We ask them to pray for us. We think of them as friends or family and ask them to pray for us. Jesus is still the way to heaven for Catholics, not saints or Mary

Quoting annelauer:

Don't catholics pray to Mary and other saints?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sekirei
by LoKitty on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Because some people have no knowledge of the Catholic faith and since it is not Protestantism, they want to make it as bad as possible.

and then they pass the lies onto their children 

(for the record, I am a former Catholic)

mommyrustina
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:09 PM

I am not the most devout Catholic, but the way I have understood it is that it is more like asking Mary to pray for us. It is no different than asking friends and family to pray for someone.

Quoting annelauer:

Don't catholics pray to Mary and other saints?

brittney28
by Brittney on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:09 PM
Because we do...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Sekirei
by LoKitty on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting almondpigeon:

i admit i know next to nothing about catholic practices.  i thought they worship god/jesus, but go through mary...or something?  i don't understand how it works.

It's no different then people coming on here and asking for prayers for their family and friends or themselves. Mary is looked at as someone you can ask for prayers as well. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:10 PM
They don't take the time to learn. Just like Buddhist must be worshipping Buddha and pagans are devil worshippers. People don't know why they believe what they believe or why they don't agree with other religions.

They know that Mary is a key figure in the catholic church but they don't take the time to truly understand what role she plays for Catholics. Or I should say how they view her. Same with the saints. They don't pray to saints. They pray through them. Big difference.

Now I am not fully educated in religion. I'll admit that. But for now I know enough to decide where I am and to stop to focus in the teachings I believe in. But I like hearing about other peoples beliefs.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Isn't praying to Mary the same as worshipping her? Praying to God/Jesus is a form of worship.

Matriarch87
by Ruby Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)