Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why do people think Catholics worship Mary?

Posted by   + Show Post

So in our homeschool co-op today, we were talking about Brazil and how 75% of the inhabitants are Catholic. The class was 1-3 graders, and one of the kids said that Catholics were bad. I said that wasn't true and asked why she thought that. Another kid piped in with "because they worship Mary".

That is not the first time I have heard that claim, and I am curious to know why that assumption is made. So, why?

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 4:38 PM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:11 PM

because to other people it seems like its all about Mary. they pray to her, they have statues of her. honestly I use to think the same thing until I met my husband who is catholic.

jamamama00
by Ruby Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:11 PM
1 mom liked this
Because Baptists are crazy. True story.
mommyrustina
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Ok, so I am not losing my mind, ha! That is exactly how I have always interpreted it, so I was thinking that I missed something along the way for so many people to think that Catholics worship Mary.

Quoting Sekirei:

Quoting almondpigeon:

i admit i know next to nothing about catholic practices.  i thought they worship god/jesus, but go through mary...or something?  i don't understand how it works.

It's no different then people coming on here and asking for prayers for their family and friends or themselves. Mary is looked at as someone you can ask for prayers as well. 

melisawoosley
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:12 PM
We pray to the mother of Jesus. Sometimes if you want to get to somebody, you go through their mother. I don't understand the claim either.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sekirei
by Nari on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:15 PM

lol

Yeah, I was raised Catholic. When we moved down south, I was looked at as some sort of devil worshipper. 

not a catholic anymore though

Quoting mommyrustina:

Ok, so I am not losing my mind, ha! That is exactly how I have always interpreted it, so I was thinking that I missed something along the way for so many people to think that Catholics worship Mary.

Quoting Sekirei:

Quoting almondpigeon:

i admit i know next to nothing about catholic practices.  i thought they worship god/jesus, but go through mary...or something?  i don't understand how it works.

It's no different then people coming on here and asking for prayers for their family and friends or themselves. Mary is looked at as someone you can ask for prayers as well. 

annelauer
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:44 PM
I don't know about you, but I don't "hail" my friends and family or have rosaries in their honor. I don't have a problem with catholics worshipping Mary. I've seen articles online explaining why they do. (She must've been a pretty cool chick for Jesus to pick get as his mother and she symbolizes the "mother" of everyone or whatever.) I think it's pretty hard to deny that they do though...

Quoting mommyrustina:

I am not the most devout Catholic, but the way I have understood it is that it is more like asking Mary to pray for us. It is no different than asking friends and family to pray for someone.

Quoting annelauer:

Don't catholics pray to Mary and other saints?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mlg1989
by ZombieMegg on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:45 PM
I never understood that either. God said dont worship anyone but him, you would think that includes Mary but who know Im non denominational
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:46 PM

because they do and they also pray to saints and worship the Pope. All of you are idol worshippers. THe bible forbids that but..who cares, Catholics created their own false bible. We're supposed to pray to the Creator who is God and GOD alone! Any believer is a saint. Why I pray to any human being? Or need then to pray to God on my behalf? Jesus is the intercessor! Not man, not saints, not Mary.

mommyrustina
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Saying "Hail Mary" doesn't mean worship her, though; the "Hail" is more like a happy hello, I do believe the other translation is "rejoice".

Quoting annelauer:

I don't know about you, but I don't "hail" my friends and family or have rosaries in their honor. I don't have a problem with catholics worshipping Mary. I've seen articles online explaining why they do. (She must've been a pretty cool chick for Jesus to pick get as his mother and she symbolizes the "mother" of everyone or whatever.) I think it's pretty hard to deny that they do though...

Quoting mommyrustina:

I am not the most devout Catholic, but the way I have understood it is that it is more like asking Mary to pray for us. It is no different than asking friends and family to pray for someone.

Quoting annelauer:

Don't catholics pray to Mary and other saints?

mommyrustina
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:53 PM
2 moms liked this

So you never pray for anyone and you never ask others to pray for someone? Should churches not have prayer groups and prayer lists?

Quoting Anonymous:

because they do and they also pray to saints and worship the Pope. All of you are idol worshippers. THe bible forbids that but..who cares, Catholics created their own false bible. We're supposed to pray to the Creator who is God and GOD alone! Any believer is a saint. Why I pray to any human being? Or need then to pray to God on my behalf? Jesus is the intercessor! Not man, not saints, not Mary.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN