Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why do people think Catholics worship Mary?

Posted by   + Show Post

So in our homeschool co-op today, we were talking about Brazil and how 75% of the inhabitants are Catholic. The class was 1-3 graders, and one of the kids said that Catholics were bad. I said that wasn't true and asked why she thought that. Another kid piped in with "because they worship Mary".

That is not the first time I have heard that claim, and I am curious to know why that assumption is made. So, why?

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 4:38 PM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Catholics pray to the dead. How the hell do dead people hear? THey DON'T!!! Don't even try it!!!! and no, I've never asked anyone to pray for me, they just do. I can pray for myself and go directly to GOD without a go between thank you very much.

Quoting mommyrustina:

So you never pray for anyone and you never ask others to pray for someone? Should churches not have prayer groups and prayer lists?

Quoting Anonymous:

because they do and they also pray to saints and worship the Pope. All of you are idol worshippers. THe bible forbids that but..who cares, Catholics created their own false bible. We're supposed to pray to the Creator who is God and GOD alone! Any believer is a saint. Why I pray to any human being? Or need then to pray to God on my behalf? Jesus is the intercessor! Not man, not saints, not Mary.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Why would you pray to the mother of Jesus when the Bible says you are only to pray to GOD in the name of Jesus? Where in the bible does it say that Mary was God? Please tell me where?

Quoting melisawoosley:

We pray to the mother of Jesus. Sometimes if you want to get to somebody, you go through their mother. I don't understand the claim either.

poietes
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Because they are ignorant and jump to conclusions without having actual knowledge.

Yellowlily333
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:57 PM

I think because of the rosary...hail Mary's. Then some churches have you kiss a statue of her on the way out.

mommyrustina
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:57 PM

I think you are either confused or a bit overzealous in your own beliefs. Whatever makes you happy, though.

Quoting Anonymous:

Catholics pray to the dead. How the hell do dead people hear? THey DON'T!!! Don't even try it!!!! and no, I've never asked anyone to pray for me, they just do. I can pray for myself and go directly to GOD without a go between thank you very much.

Quoting mommyrustina:

So you never pray for anyone and you never ask others to pray for someone? Should churches not have prayer groups and prayer lists?

Quoting Anonymous:

because they do and they also pray to saints and worship the Pope. All of you are idol worshippers. THe bible forbids that but..who cares, Catholics created their own false bible. We're supposed to pray to the Creator who is God and GOD alone! Any believer is a saint. Why I pray to any human being? Or need then to pray to God on my behalf? Jesus is the intercessor! Not man, not saints, not Mary.

StarLight23
by Silver Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:58 PM

This! I've heard that a lot..to say so many Hail mary's and you're forgiven.. I guess

Not trying to be sarcastic or rude, but that is what I always thought

Quoting mariesmama:

because during confession you say hail mary?

mommyrustina
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:59 PM
1 mom liked this

The "Hail" in "Hail Mary" is more like a friendly hello, though. The other translation of that particular phrase is "Rejoice".

Quoting Yellowlily333:

I think because of the rosary...hail Mary's. Then some churches have you kiss a statue of her on the way out.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:01 PM
A lot of people in other countries kind of do. My mil is catholic and they have status of her and other saints. But to her she is a virgin of guadolopa(sp)
Yellowlily333
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Right on. :) From an outsider looking in-it seems odd. To someone raised in it, or who has converted to it seems normal. Same sort of thing goes for most religions/denominations.

Quoting mommyrustina:

The "Hail" in "Hail Mary" is more like a friendly hello, though. The other translation of that particular phrase is "Rejoice".

Quoting Yellowlily333:

wulfeyes05
by Ruby Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:03 PM

Probably because they give her such a huge place of honor, a big statue, a halo, the Hail Mary prayer sounds like praying to her not to God. Probably why most people think you worship her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)