Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why do people think Catholics worship Mary?

Posted by   + Show Post

So in our homeschool co-op today, we were talking about Brazil and how 75% of the inhabitants are Catholic. The class was 1-3 graders, and one of the kids said that Catholics were bad. I said that wasn't true and asked why she thought that. Another kid piped in with "because they worship Mary".

That is not the first time I have heard that claim, and I am curious to know why that assumption is made. So, why?

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 4:38 PM
Replies (341-350):
RobinBright
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:14 AM
1 mom liked this

Last time I checked, dying doesn't eliminate faith.  If it comforts an individual to "talk" to a deceased grandmother, is that a problem?   Does the Bible say "once Mary is assumed into heaven, her role as Mother of the Savior ends and you should never think of her again?"  What do you make of the references in Psalms, Luke, and Revelation, all of which identify Mary as the Queen of Heaven-- does that not place her in a position of esteem??  

Sounds to me like you want to answer with the tautology of "Catholics are wrong because I'm Protestant" and, well.... that doesn't hold any more water than "Catholics are right because I'm Catholic."

The post asks why people are under the false impression that Catholics worship Mary.  The reason you are under that false impression is because Protestants, as a whole, chose to move away from the true church and chose to change the bible into something different from what it was for the first 1500 years of Christianity. 

Quoting Anonymous:

James 5:14-20 tells us to call people of the church to pray for us. That's people alive on earth. The bible does not tell us to call on those already dead to pray for us. So, the bible tells us to pray for others and have others pray for us. But, it does not say to call on people in heaven to do so.

Quoting RobinBright:

Have you ever asked a friend to pray for you?  

Quoting Anonymous:

You're just repeating yourself. She is not the mother of God. The bible never calls her that. Plus, you're praying to someone whom you shouldn't be. 1 Tim. 2:5 says Christ is the only mediator between God and men, it would violate this to pray to those in heaven. We're not to pray to people or to angels, but only to God. You can keep telling me over and over that Jesus is God an Mary is Jesus's mother, therefore Mary is Jesus's mother. But that's not right. That is something Catholics made up. It's not a biblical term ever used for Mary. You can also tell how you're asking for them to intercede for you. The bible clearly states that no one can do that except for Jesus. That means Mary cannot intercede. Just because your church doctrine says it can be done, doesn't make it biblically correct. 

Keep an open mind--
but not so open that your brain falls out. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:32 AM
Talking to them is different than asking them to intercede.
I grew up catholic. Our churches didn't even have bibles. We were too stupid to understand it, so they interpreted it for us. That's is pretty much what we were told. The way the church does some things, goes against things I've read in the bible, which I started reading after leaving the church. As far as Mary being the queen of heaven, you have to take being said when it did. Back then men had many wives. There couldn't be a queen of the family because there were more than one wife. So, they made the man's mother, queen. Mary is Jesus's mother, so she reigns as queen of heaven, since he is King. It doesn't mean we bow down to her as a queen. Yes, she is something special, but we are not to pray to her. There is wrong in every Christian sect, including Catholicism. after reading the bible for myself, I don't agree with how some things are done in the catholic church, therefore, I left the church and will not return. It doesn't mean Catholics are all bad. I'm just simply answering your questions and giving biblical references on why some (including me) feel that Catholics take the Mary thing too far.

Quoting RobinBright:

Last time I checked, dying doesn't eliminate faith.  If it comforts an individual to "talk" to a deceased grandmother, is that a problem?   Does the Bible say "once Mary is assumed into heaven, her role as Mother of the Savior ends and you should never think of her again?"  What do you make of the references in Psalms, Luke, and Revelation, all of which identify Mary as the Queen of Heaven-- does that not place her in a position of esteem??  

Sounds to me like you want to answer with the tautology of "Catholics are wrong because I'm Protestant" and, well.... that doesn't hold any more water than "Catholics are right because I'm Catholic."

The post asks why people are under the false impression that Catholics worship Mary.  The reason you are under that false impression is because Protestants, as a whole, chose to move away from the true church and chose to change the bible into something different from what it was for the first 1500 years of Christianity. 

Quoting Anonymous:

James 5:14-20 tells us to call people of the church to pray for us. That's people alive on earth. The bible does not tell us to call on those already dead to pray for us. So, the bible tells us to pray for others and have others pray for us. But, it does not say to call on people in heaven to do so.

Quoting RobinBright:

Have you ever asked a friend to pray for you?  

Quoting Anonymous:

You're just repeating yourself. She is not the mother of God. The bible never calls her that. Plus, you're praying to someone whom you shouldn't be. 1 Tim. 2:5 says Christ is the only mediator between God and men, it would violate this to pray to those in heaven. We're not to pray to people or to angels, but only to God. You can keep telling me over and over that Jesus is God an Mary is Jesus's mother, therefore Mary is Jesus's mother. But that's not right. That is something Catholics made up. It's not a biblical term ever used for Mary. You can also tell how you're asking for them to intercede for you. The bible clearly states that no one can do that except for Jesus. That means Mary cannot intercede. Just because your church doctrine says it can be done, doesn't make it biblically correct. 

beesbad
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:41 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

But Mary's dead, there's a difference in asking a living breathing friend to pray to God for you(in addition to your prayers to God, not in place if),and praying to Mary (dead) to pray for you.

I do believe that Mary's soul is in heaven, put she's not all knowing, all powerful & all present like God/Christ.... If you believe she is, you're making her like God, which she's not... How do you expect her to "hear" these prayers exactly?! That's why people think Catholics worship Mary, because they give Mary god like qualities.

Quoting beesbad:

People believe lies about the Catholic church because they are taught those lies by people they trust.

For those that are interested here is a good website that explains Catholic beliefs to Evangelicals: Catholic Bridge

Catholics mainly worship during the Mass, we also pray during the Mass, but prayer does not equal worship for Catholics. The original meaning of PRAY (and if you look at Merriam-Webster, the first meaning) is to humbly entreat or request. When Protestants first rejected the Mass they lost their way to worship so they had to substitute prayer instead. Gradually the meaning of the word pray became synonymous with worship for the non-Catholic.

So when a Catholic prays they are making a request. If a Catholic is guilty of worshiping Mary by asking her to pray for us then Evangelicals are guilty of worshiping their friends when they ask the same thing of them.

As a previous poster pointed out the Hail Mary is basically a prayer asking Mary to pray for us, the first part corresponds to the angel's greeting and Elizabeth's greeting of Mary (Lk 1:28 & 2:42) and the second part is a request for Mary's prayers for us. 

Several posters have said the Rosary is worship of Mary, that is not true because the rosary isn't about Mary, it's about Jesus. As we pray the rosary we meditate on events in the life of Jesus. During the 40 days before Easter (Lent) we pray the Sorrowful Mysteries, one mystery for every decade of the rosary as follows: the agony in the garden, the scourging at the pillar, the crowning with thorns, the carrying of the cross, and the crucifixion and death of our Lord.

Still others have claimed that the halo in religious painting proves that Catholics worship the saints and Mary. The halo represents the light God's grace in a person's soul, it isn't an indication that the person is divine.

You believe there is a difference in asking a friend and asking a saint to pray for you, I don't. I also don't believe Mary is 'all knowing, all powerful & all present' so clearly I'm not making her like God. You are just restating the falsehoods about the Catholic Church and Catholic beliefs that you have been taught by non-Catholics instead of reading what I wrote and looking at the Catholic Bridge website which would have informed you of what Catholics really believe.

I understand your reluctance, if you find out you have been taught false information it makes you wonder what other beliefs you've been taught are also false. I'm not interested in tearing down your beliefs, I'm only interested in presenting actual Catholic beliefs.

From the Catholic Bridge website:

Catholics don't think heaven is a "dead" place. Catholics believe people in heaven are alive. (Mat 19:29, 25:46, Mat 10:17-22, Mk 10:30, Lk 10:25-30, Lk 18:18-30, Jn 3:15-16). We see Lazarus alive by Abraham's side (Lk 16:22). At the transfiguration we see Moses and Elijah alive beside Jesus. (Mat 17:3) There seems to be a lot of conversing in Heaven in Revelation (i.e. Rev 4:10). The Church thinks heaven is a lively place with lots of singing and stuff. They don't think people in heaven are saying "Hey shut up with the singing will ya, I'm trying to sleep!!!" Jesus opened the gates to Heaven. "Graves of the dead were opened and they went into town to preach the Gospel." (Mat 27:52). Jesus said "Now he is a God not of the dead, but of the living; for to him all of them are alive." (Lk 20:39-40) 

It seems to me that Catholics are the only Christians upholding this biblical prophecy,

My soul magnifies the Lord, 
And my spirit has rejoiced in God my Savior. 
For He has regarded the lowly state of his maidservant; 
For behold, henceforth all generations will call me blessed. (Lk 1:46-49)

maybe the question you should be asking yourself is why aren't you?

In Vino Veritas

kspear0120
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:38 PM

yes I understand where you are coming from and the teaching. It is just not a common teaching among anyone who is not Catholic. Other denomoniations do not teach that Mary was without origional sin but do teach that she was chosen as the mother of Christ despite who she was. So from the viewpoint of other denominations, when someone is elevated to a position of being more than they are, that is a form of worship. I totally also understand that Catholics do not view it as worshiping her it is just the veiw of others looking in because they do not teach the same things about who Mary is. Make sense?

Quoting HousewifeNina:

She IS special, more special than any one of us.

Do you know what the immaculate conception is? Most think its that Jesus was born without sex. It isnt. Our faith believes that Mary was chosen as the vessel bc she was born without original sin.

Frankly I was shocked when.I learned that. I always thought IC referred to.Jesus. Nope.

Quoting kspear0120:

As others have said I also agree that it is because Catholics put Mary in a position that other people do not believe that she has. Elevating her so when she should not be according to most beliefs by Protestants is a form of worship it is not just the fact that Catholics pray for her. Yes Protestants ask friends to pray for them but they do not light candles to them, do not pray to statues of them, do not think that the friends are going to have more of an influence on God than they do, etc and they do not pray to that friend, they just ask for prayers. They do not ask those who are already dead to pray for us. Also as someone else said in Latin America she is even more so elevated to a semi goddess position and many times referred to as the Queen Mother. In a view of a Protestant that is very contrary to the Bible. Other Protestants view her as special in the fact that she was the mother of God but belive that she had sin just as us and do not believe that she is able to interceed for us. To Protestants that is the job of Christ coming from the verses in the Bible that say that the ony mediator between God and man is the man Jesus Christ. I hope that clears it up from a semi non bias view.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:40 PM
I believe those in heaven are alive, just like I am alive... But if you talk to me from your house I won't hear you bc I'm all the way in georgia, im not God and i dont have God like attributes to be able to hear you. How do you think Mary can hear you?! She's only a human, not an angel, not a diety. That's what I'm asking..... If shes supposed to hear your prayers and intercede on your behalf, how does she hear you?! And what about when more than one catholic is praying to her at a time?! How can she hear both prayers without being all knowing and all present?

I can call my friend or talk face to face with them and ask them to pray for me, that's different than talking to someone in heaven who cant hear you bc they're not all knowing and all present...

Mary is a blessed woman, she carried and gave birth to Jesus Christ. I consider her a lucky blessed woman, but that's all I think of her as... I don't think she has extra special connections to Christ. I believe that I can talk to Him just as easily as she could, and that my prayers are heard the same as her prayers would be.

I'm an italian, my whole family is catholic, lol. Everyone of my immediate relatives were brought up catholic. I am not though, I don't believe in the catholic religion one bit. But I'm not foreign to what they believe. I'm very well aware of what Catholicism teaches.

I'm honestly just curious how you think she or any other saints can hear your prayers, I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just curious...

Quoting beesbad:

Quoting Anonymous:

But Mary's dead, there's a difference in asking a living breathing friend to pray to God for you(in addition to your prayers to God, not in place if),and praying to Mary (dead) to pray for you.

I do believe that Mary's soul is in heaven, put she's not all knowing, all powerful & all present like God/Christ.... If you believe she is, you're making her like God, which she's not... How do you expect her to "hear" these prayers exactly?! That's why people think Catholics worship Mary, because they give Mary god like qualities.

Quoting beesbad:

People believe lies about the Catholic church because they are taught those lies by people they trust.

For those that are interested here is a good website that explains Catholic beliefs to Evangelicals: Catholic Bridge

Catholics mainly worship during the Mass, we also pray during the Mass, but prayer does not equal worship for Catholics. The original meaning of PRAY (and if you look at Merriam-Webster, the first meaning) is to humbly entreat or request. When Protestants first rejected the Mass they lost their way to worship so they had to substitute prayer instead. Gradually the meaning of the word pray became synonymous with worship for the non-Catholic.

So when a Catholic prays they are making a request. If a Catholic is guilty of worshiping Mary by asking her to pray for us then Evangelicals are guilty of worshiping their friends when they ask the same thing of them.

As a previous poster pointed out the Hail Mary is basically a prayer asking Mary to pray for us, the first part corresponds to the angel's greeting and Elizabeth's greeting of Mary (Lk 1:28 & 2:42) and the second part is a request for Mary's prayers for us. 

Several posters have said the Rosary is worship of Mary, that is not true because the rosary isn't about Mary, it's about Jesus. As we pray the rosary we meditate on events in the life of Jesus. During the 40 days before Easter (Lent) we pray the Sorrowful Mysteries, one mystery for every decade of the rosary as follows: the agony in the garden, the scourging at the pillar, the crowning with thorns, the carrying of the cross, and the crucifixion and death of our Lord.

Still others have claimed that the halo in religious painting proves that Catholics worship the saints and Mary. The halo represents the light God's grace in a person's soul, it isn't an indication that the person is divine.

You believe there is a difference in asking a friend and asking a saint to pray for you, I don't. I also don't believe Mary is 'all knowing, all powerful & all present' so clearly I'm not making her like God. You are just restating the falsehoods about the Catholic Church and Catholic beliefs that you have been taught by non-Catholics instead of reading what I wrote and looking at the Catholic Bridge website which would have informed you of what Catholics really believe.

I understand your reluctance, if you find out you have been taught false information it makes you wonder what other beliefs you've been taught are also false. I'm not interested in tearing down your beliefs, I'm only interested in presenting actual Catholic beliefs.

Catholics don't think heaven is a "dead" place. Catholics believe people in heaven are alive. (Mat 19:29, 25:46, Mat 10:17-22, Mk 10:30, Lk 10:25-30, Lk 18:18-30, Jn 3:15-16). We see Lazarus alive by Abraham's side (Lk 16:22). At the transfiguration we see Moses and Elijah alive beside Jesus. (Mat 17:3) There seems to be a lot of conversing in Heaven in Revelation (i.e. Rev 4:10). The Church thinks heaven is a lively place with lots of singing and stuff. They don't think people in heaven are saying "Hey shut up with the singing will ya, I'm trying to sleep!!!" Jesus opened the gates to Heaven. "Graves of the dead were opened and they went into town to preach the Gospel." (Mat 27:52). Jesus said "Now he is a God not of the dead, but of the living; for to him all of them are alive." (Lk 20:39-40) 

It seems to me that Catholics are the only Christians upholding this biblical prophecy,

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:43 PM
I want to know also. I don't think we will get a reply tho.

Quoting Anonymous:

I believe those in heaven are alive, just like I am alive... But if you talk to me from your house I won't hear you bc I'm all the way in georgia, im not God and i dont have God like attributes to be able to hear you. How do you think Mary can hear you?! She's only a human, not an angel, not a diety. That's what I'm asking..... If shes supposed to hear your prayers and intercede on your behalf, how does she hear you?! And what about when more than one catholic is praying to her at a time?! How can she hear both prayers without being all knowing and all present?

I can call my friend or talk face to face with them and ask them to pray for me, that's different than talking to someone in heaven who cant hear you bc they're not all knowing and all present...

Mary is a blessed woman, she carried and gave birth to Jesus Christ. I consider her a lucky blessed woman, but that's all I think of her as... I don't think she has extra special connections to Christ. I believe that I can talk to Him just as easily as she could, and that my prayers are heard the same as her prayers would be.

I'm an italian, my whole family is catholic, lol. Everyone of my immediate relatives were brought up catholic. I am not though, I don't believe in the catholic religion one bit. But I'm not foreign to what they believe. I'm very well aware of what Catholicism teaches.

I'm honestly just curious how you think she or any other saints can hear your prayers, I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just curious...

Quoting beesbad:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting beesbad:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:17 PM
I'm just really curious to what the answer is, lol

Quoting Anonymous:

I want to know also. I don't think we will get a reply tho.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting beesbad:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting beesbad:

luvmygrndhg
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:16 PM

My children understand that Mary is not God and we do not worship her.  We only love her like Jesus loves her because she is the mother of our Savior :)

Quoting icn_mom:

I dont think children understand the difference between worship and pray to... in the catholic religion they DO pray to mary... hense, "hail mary"s...

luvmygrndhg
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:22 PM

So you don't ever ask anyone to say a prayer for you when you are having a hard time?  That is what we do with Mary.  We ask her to pray for us :)  As for Confession, Jesus never said to just confess directly to Him.  That is nowhere in the Bible.  He did give authority to the first men He ordained (John 20:21-23) to forgive sins and if they did not forgive them they are not forgiven.  So if you do not confess you sins to a priest who has the authority (by Apostolic succesion) to forgive your sins, they are retained.

Quoting Anonymous:

My friend and I talk about stuff like this. Shes a catholic while I have the pentecostal beliefs. She said have I ever went to my mom and told her to ask my dad something for me? I said no...I usually just go straight to my dad. Which is what I believe. I believe we can just talk to Jesus&God ourselves. I dont believe we need to ask mary for anything or go to a priest for confession. I can confess to God.

luvmygrndhg
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Great way of putting it :)

Quoting my4yahoos:
So hello, acknowledgement that she's Jesus's mom, and asking her to pray for us sinners. "Hey Mrs. Jesus's mom, please pray for me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)