Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why do people think Catholics worship Mary?

Posted by   + Show Post

So in our homeschool co-op today, we were talking about Brazil and how 75% of the inhabitants are Catholic. The class was 1-3 graders, and one of the kids said that Catholics were bad. I said that wasn't true and asked why she thought that. Another kid piped in with "because they worship Mary".

That is not the first time I have heard that claim, and I am curious to know why that assumption is made. So, why?

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 4:38 PM
Replies (351-360):
luvmygrndhg
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Your loved ones who have died and gone to Heaven have achieved Eternal Life.  They are alive and they can hear you just fine :)  They pray for you and cheer you on so you can also get to Heaven.  Asking one of the holy ones who already made it to Heaven to pray for us is no different that asking a friend here on earth to pray for us :)  If you've ever asked another Christian brother or sister to pray for you or prayed for another person, then you are doing intercessory prayer.

Quoting lovin_being_mom:

How can dead people pray or intercede for a person? The only way to heaven is through Jesus, not the dead.

Rust.n.Gears
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:29 PM
Many do worship Mary. It doesn't mean all bit there is a whole convent for the Sisters of Mary. It begs to reason.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
luvmygrndhg
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:31 PM
1 mom liked this

The saints are friends of Jesus and any friend of Jesus is a friend of mine :)  I see we have some of the same favorite friends :)

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

Yes. . 

Hail Mary 

Hall Mary, full of grace.  The Lord is with thee.                                                                                                 Blessed art thou amongst women,                                                                                                                            and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.                                                                                                           Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners,                                                                                                        now and at the hour of our death.  Amen.

I say a prayers to St. Anthony and St. Francis on the daily basis as well.

TCain0001
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:31 PM

A lot of people don't realize that it's an intercessory prayer.  If they would remember the story of the wine turned into water at the wedding--the host asked Mary ask Jesus to perform a miracle, since they  had run out of wine.  Mary "interceeded" for the host.  Hence, the prayer.  You're not praying TO her.......you're just asking her to "relay a message", so to speak.

Rust.n.Gears
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:32 PM
No they are not. According to the Bible they can not go to heaven yet. They are currently in Purgatory. I am pagan and i know that one.

Quoting luvmygrndhg:

Your loved ones who have died and gone to Heaven have achieved Eternal Life.  They are alive and they can hear you just fine :)  They pray for you and cheer you on so you can also get to Heaven.  Asking one of the holy ones who already made it to Heaven to pray for us is no different that asking a friend here on earth to pray for us :)  If you've ever asked another Christian brother or sister to pray for you or prayed for another person, then you are doing intercessory prayer.

Quoting lovin_being_mom:

How can dead people pray or intercede for a person? The only way to heaven is through Jesus, not the dead.

tnt-manda
by Mandy Dandy on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:39 PM
Prime example..my mom bought a home that was an elderly lady who had left her home to her Catholic church, the church sold it... there was a whole shrine in the backyard with a statue of Mary in the center of it, kinda made it look like she worshipped Mary...Don't remember seeing Jesus anywhere...funny huh?

Not bashing or anything but seems like worshipping to me? I do know they pray to alot of of different saints though.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:46 PM
Our beliefs is that God himself can forgive us of our sins. A priest (to me) is just another man.

Quoting luvmygrndhg:

So you don't ever ask anyone to say a prayer for you when you are having a hard time?  That is what we do with Mary.  We ask her to pray for us :)  As for Confession, Jesus never said to just confess directly to Him.  That is nowhere in the Bible.  He did give authority to the first men He ordained (John 20:21-23) to forgive sins and if they did not forgive them they are not forgiven.  So if you do not confess you sins to a priest who has the authority (by Apostolic succesion) to forgive your sins, they are retained.

Quoting Anonymous:

My friend and I talk about stuff like this. Shes a catholic while I have the pentecostal beliefs. She said have I ever went to my mom and told her to ask my dad something for me? I said no...I usually just go straight to my dad. Which is what I believe. I believe we can just talk to Jesus&God ourselves. I dont believe we need to ask mary for anything or go to a priest for confession. I can confess to God.

luvmygrndhg
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:47 PM

Your friend did not know her Catholic faith well...it's sadly the case of many Catholics.  I was also very ignorant until I resolved to study what my Church actually teaches :)

Quoting LTryon:

When I was around 10 years old I had a friend who'd recently converted to catholicism. She told me one time that I was going to hell for not worshiping Mary (i grew up Protestant).

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Many people think that Catholics pray TO Mary..thats why.

luvmygrndhg
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Many people are too lazy to find out the truth...they'd rather believe the gossip.  Kudos to you for being a genuine truth seeker :-)

Quoting IFartGlitter:

Ignorance, plain and simple! I used to think it, before I converted. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)