Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why do people think Catholics worship Mary?

Posted by   + Show Post

So in our homeschool co-op today, we were talking about Brazil and how 75% of the inhabitants are Catholic. The class was 1-3 graders, and one of the kids said that Catholics were bad. I said that wasn't true and asked why she thought that. Another kid piped in with "because they worship Mary".

That is not the first time I have heard that claim, and I am curious to know why that assumption is made. So, why?

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 4:38 PM
Replies (361-370):
luvmygrndhg
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Fortunately there are smart people who are genuine truth seekers and do the research for themselves to find out that what their preacher told them is false :)

Quoting Anonymous:

Because that's what preachers tell their congregations to scare them off from turning catholic....

KennyPooPoo22
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:53 PM
Because they don't care enough to research it. I heard this when I was little, then I looked into it years later just like I did nearly every other religion. As I under stand it Catholics kind of pray to Mary and other saints for protection.
luvmygrndhg
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:55 PM

To us the definition of "pray to" is "ask"  So if we pray to Mary, we are asking her to pray for us, just like you'd ask another friend to pray for you or pray for someone who asks you to pray for them.  I hope this is understandable :)

Quoting amberlyp:

I did my research a few years ago when I dated a guy who wanted me to convert and in my research it said that they did pray to Mary. What is the correct belief if that's not it?

luvmygrndhg
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Those people are misguided.  I'm Mexican so I know exactly what you are talking about.  These people have not gone to receive education in their Faith.  That is NOT what the Church teaches.  They don't understand the difference between veneration (giving honor) and adoration (worship), which is only due to God.  They need to be properly educated about what the Catholic Church actually teaches :)  I've known even priests who are ignorant of the theological/doctrinal teachings of the Church with regard to Mary.

Quoting sweetieiv:

In my opinion, I think its because Catholics have prayers for Mary and they have churches and altars buid for her. I am Mexican and they have a church in Mexico where they have a huge statue of Mary and people crawl on their knees to see her and thank her for giving them what they pray for. I have also seen people have paintings of Mary and tattoos on their body of her. So yeah id say that's worshiping.

luvmygrndhg
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Nope...you're wrong, hon.  I'm a Catholic who knows her Faith well and you will not find one Church teaching that says that.

Quoting Anonymous:

Because they do.

luvmygrndhg
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:03 PM

Do you ever ask anyone to pray for you or do you ever pray for anyone?  James 5:16 says we should pray for one another.

Quoting prinzesa_edith:

but you dont need mary to carry your prayer to God, the Holy Spirit should do that for you.

luvmygrndhg
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:06 PM

Yes...it's cultural...people do the same in Mexico where I was born but it's because they don't really know what the Church actually teaches.  The Church does not teach us to worship Mary.  You got it right that she is not equal to God but has her own place :)

Quoting Cynthje:

Im Caribbean and a lot of my catholic family members pray to mary but they pray and ask her to sort of be between them and god (if that makes sense). The do worship her as the mother of christ so that makes sense to me.

I think its a cultural thing really, i grew up with it even if i am not religious at all. They do not see mary as equal to god at all, she has her own place

luvmygrndhg
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:16 PM

No we shouldn't.  The Catholic Church does not officially teach that.  Though I agree with you she's pretty amazing!

Quoting faeriemom1972:

They should. Mary's the shit.

luvmygrndhg
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:20 PM

That is not what the Church teaches.  People bow out of reverence to honor the mother of our Savior.  Do you keep pictures of loved ones?  In the history of western civilization, statues were the equivalent of pictures :)  Asking her to pray for us is the same as asking anyone else to pray for us. 

Quoting LizzieAnnesMom:

I always thought that because i have seen people literally bowing down and praying to her statue.

LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:50 PM
I have plenty of pictures of loved ones. Now do i make a huge statue of them,bow down in front of the statue (which is plainly against the bibles laws), and pray to them? Absolutely not. The is a huge difference between owning a photograph as a memory keep sake, and making a huge statue of someone and praying to it.

Quoting luvmygrndhg:

That is not what the Church teaches.  People bow out of reverence to honor the mother of our Savior.  Do you keep pictures of loved ones?  In the history of western civilization, statues were the equivalent of pictures :)  Asking her to pray for us is the same as asking anyone else to pray for us. 

Quoting LizzieAnnesMom:

I always thought that because i have seen people literally bowing down and praying to her statue.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)