Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why do people think Catholics worship Mary?

Posted by   + Show Post

So in our homeschool co-op today, we were talking about Brazil and how 75% of the inhabitants are Catholic. The class was 1-3 graders, and one of the kids said that Catholics were bad. I said that wasn't true and asked why she thought that. Another kid piped in with "because they worship Mary".

That is not the first time I have heard that claim, and I am curious to know why that assumption is made. So, why?

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 4:38 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:03 PM

I actually had this conversation with a friend of mine recently.  

She always thought they did because they pray to Mary.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:04 PM
Because they believe you can pray someone into heaven.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:05 PM
I mean that's one reason they think they are bad.

Quoting Anonymous:

Because they believe you can pray someone into heaven.

icn_mom
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:05 PM

I dont think children understand the difference between worship and pray to... in the catholic religion they DO pray to mary... hense, "hail mary"s...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:06 PM
My friend and I talk about stuff like this. Shes a catholic while I have the pentecostal beliefs. She said have I ever went to my mom and told her to ask my dad something for me? I said no...I usually just go straight to my dad. Which is what I believe. I believe we can just talk to Jesus&God ourselves. I dont believe we need to ask mary for anything or go to a priest for confession. I can confess to God.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
annelauer
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:12 PM
1 mom liked this
In this sense it means "praise". And if sometime does ask their friends to pray for them, they likely don't believe that their friend has more influence than they do. It is in addition to their own prayers, not instead of them. You know?

Quoting mommyrustina:

Saying "Hail Mary" doesn't mean worship her, though; the "Hail" is more like a happy hello, I do believe the other translation is "rejoice".

Quoting annelauer:

I don't know about you, but I don't "hail" my friends and family or have rosaries in their honor. I don't have a problem with catholics worshipping Mary. I've seen articles online explaining why they do. (She must've been a pretty cool chick for Jesus to pick get as his mother and she symbolizes the "mother" of everyone or whatever.) I think it's pretty hard to deny that they do though...

Quoting mommyrustina:

I am not the most devout Catholic, but the way I have understood it is that it is more like asking Mary to pray for us. It is no different than asking friends and family to pray for someone.

Quoting annelauer:

Don't catholics pray to Mary and other saints?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
my4yahoos
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:17 PM
2 moms liked this

Hail Mary Full of Grace the Lord is with you-how Gabriel greets Mary

Blessed are you among women and blessed is the fruit of your womb-said to Mary by Elizabeth

Holy Mary, Mother of God, Pray for us sinners now, and at the hour of our death. Amen

So hello, acknowledgement that she's Jesus's mom, and asking her to pray for us sinners. "Hey Mrs. Jesus's mom, please pray for me.

MalakbelLacuna
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:51 PM
and they are asking her to pray for them. whats your point?

Quoting my4yahoos:

Blessed are you among women and blessed is the fruit of your womb-said to Mary by Elizabeth

Holy Mary, Mother of God, Pray for us sinners now, and at the hour of our death. Amen

So hello, acknowledgement that she's Jesus's mom, and asking her to pray for us sinners. "Hey Mrs. Jesus's mom, please pray for me.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
my4yahoos
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 7:03 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm catholic. People were bringing up the rosary and Hail Mary as proof we worship her. I was just putting the prayer to say we are asking her to pray for us.

Quoting MalakbelLacuna:

Quoting my4yahoos:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MalakbelLacuna
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 7:09 PM
ohhh ok. Im sorry.

Quoting my4yahoos:

I'm catholic. People were bringing up the rosary and Hail Mary as proof we worship her. I was just putting the prayer to say we are asking her to pray for us.

Quoting MalakbelLacuna:

Quoting my4yahoos:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)