Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you argue with your teens?

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 4:56 PM
  • 31 Replies

I don't. When I tell you to do something, you do it, no arguments. Now my DH will sit there and argue with the kids. It drives me nuts. 

Example:

DH told DSS (he is 16) that if his room and bathroom weren't clean by today he wasn't allowed to spend the night at his friend's house. DSS texts me and says he is spending the night at his friends house. I asked DH if DSS's room was clean. He goes down and it's not. So DH calls him.

DH: You need to come home and clean your room.

SS: I cleaned it already.

DH: No, you didn't. It's still messy.

SS: No, I swept last night.

DH: Sweeping isn't cleaning, there are clothes everywhere.

SS: Well, I will do it tomorrow.

DH: No, come home now.

SS: Seriously, that's so stupid. Why can't I do it tomorrow?

DH: Because I said do it tonight.

SS: Well R's (other SS) room isn't clean.

DH: Yes it is, I just checked.

SS: Can I come home later?

DH: No, now.

SS: Please?

DH: No, I said no. Come home.

SS: But daddy, I am busy.

DH: So come home.

This continued on for atleast another 15 minutes. Had it been me, the second time he asked I would have said, "No, come home now and clean it or you are grounded, bye." And hung up.  I am a no nonsense momma.

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 4:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Torres2566
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 4:59 PM

BUMP!

Mrs.Torres2566
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:01 PM

BUMP!

Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:04 PM
One thing I've learned is you can't tell someone they "can't" do something because they very well can. The best thing to say is what you did "you can stay but if you do there will be consequences" and follow through. I know not everyone will agree but when they are adults no ones going to go stop them from doing something stupid instead they have to live with the consequences after the fact.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
pamelax3
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:06 PM

No I do not argue with my 16 yo DD, when I say do it that is what I mean

Mrs.Torres2566
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:10 PM

I respectively disagree. If you are under 18 and expect to live in my house rent free, you WILL abide by the rules. Not following the rules is NOT an option. 

Quoting Retrokitty:

One thing I've learned is you can't tell someone they "can't" do something because they very well can. The best thing to say is what you did "you can stay but if you do there will be consequences" and follow through. I know not everyone will agree but when they are adults no ones going to go stop them from doing something stupid instead they have to live with the consequences after the fact.

Mrs.Torres2566
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Me too! It drives me nuts when DH argues with him.

Quoting pamelax3:

No I do not argue with my 16 yo DD, when I say do it that is what I mean

faerie75
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:11 PM

i try not to but sometimes he annoys the shit out of me. sorry i am not perfect like you.

Mrs.Torres2566
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:12 PM

LOL, never said I was perfect, just that I don't argue. 

Quoting faerie75:

i try not to but sometimes he annoys the shit out of me. sorry i am not perfect like you.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:14 PM
Silly.

I'll never understand why parents give their kids a room and then dictate how they keep it. As long as its sanitary, who cares?
Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:14 PM
I would tell them the same thing you did come home or there's consequences. The longer they waited the more harsher it would be. They still have to follow my rules, I may even go and get them but it really depends on the kid. Some kids would come straight home some kids would stay so its really using the judgement to know your child.

Quoting Mrs.Torres2566:

I respectively disagree. If you are under 18 and expect to live in my house rent free, you WILL abide by the rules. Not following the rules is NOT an option. 

Quoting Retrokitty:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)