Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

budgeting tips please getting divorced

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies
My Dh is the biggest piece of shit ever. He banged his secretary on or anniversary. He claims he only did it once but what the fuck ever. One time is too many! Not to mention the verbal abuse and him being a controlling cunt! I'm divorcing this ass hole. I don't have much and I'm currently in school and would love some budgeting tips for me and my two kids(6 and 8). We're living in an apartment(moved out of the house. Dh didn't even fight for us), I'm looking for work but keeping the bills paid with my savings account which is disappearing.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:22 PM
Bump!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:23 PM
Bump!
Mommy2b2many
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Are you working? If not you need to find one some how. Best place to start budgeting: Cut everything to the BARE essentials; food; house; utilities. You can also coupon; buy clearance and look for discounts... And see if you're entitled to alimony and child support. Good luck

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:25 PM
Signed a prenupt(my mothers idea -.-') and I'm going to seek cs from him

Quoting Mommy2b2many:

Are you working? If not you need to find one some how. Best place to start budgeting: Cut everything to the BARE essentials; food; house; utilities. You can also coupon; buy clearance and look for discounts... And see if you're entitled to alimony and child support. Good luck

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:25 PM
Can you get emergency child support?? I don't know much about that stuff but good luck to you.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:26 PM
Thanks

Quoting Anonymous:

Can you get emergency child support?? I don't know much about that stuff but good luck to you.

JessT5280
by MileHigh Mom on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:34 PM
1 mom liked this

The best thing I did was to get a month ahead of myself. The first few months were super hard ... barely living off of anything (made sure the kids were fed, and I would eat oatmeal and ramen at work). Let's say rent was $800 - I started doing it in 1/4 increments per paycheck (taking 200 and putting it into a savings account). Then once I had enough to pay one months rent, I bumped it up to 1/3 then 1/2 coming out of my paychecks.  ... pretty soon I was okay because what I took out of my checks was for like the 3rd months rent. I did that with all the bills. It takes time, and it sucks .. but I was able to build up and be okay. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:38 PM
If your not currently working seek CS right now! Go in & file temp custody & CS . They can be done BEFORE the divorce . Good luck
IndigoRose
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Okay...  My tips are not so much for budgeting as they are for economizing:

---Make soups in big pots and eat those a lot, especially in the winter.  And, use these vegetables, which are always cheap.---carrots, celery, potatoes, cabbage.

---Buy chicken instead of beef or pork.

---Use rags instead of paper towels all the time

---Rent DVDSfrom the library for free.  

---Curb eating out, and Starbuck's coffee every morning.  Instead pack your own thermos of fresh-brewed coffee.  Better yet,---switch to black tea, which is great for you, an anti-toxidant.  100 black teas bags in my area cost only $2.49 and will last you along time.  Eat out at reasonable restaurants and only on special occasions.

---Find a good thift clothing store

---Buy at an Aldi.  Their food is great, inexpensive and the choice is amazingly good.

In the summer grow a vegetable garden.  Even if you live in an apartment you can grow patio tomato plant and have fresh tomatoes for your salads.  

---Eat eggs.  Have breakfast for dinner--- scrambled eggs, potato pancakes, or Egg Fu Yung

---Give up pop.  Instead make real lemonade from bottled lemon juice & sugar.

---Take vitamin pills.  You can buy them at the dollar store, if you like.  They're cheap insurance toward good health.

---Don't make unnecessary car trips, if you can help it.  Gas is too expensive.  Combine errands.  Or, get a bike and ride it to places in the good weather.

---Use vinegar and water as a household cleaner instead of Fantastic or Spic 'n' Span.  Mix it up and put it in a spray bottle.  It's great for cleaning counter tops, floors, mirrors and it's child and pet friendly.

---Hang your clothes to dry on a clothesline, instead of always using the dryer, saves money & energy

---Read instead of playing video games for entertainment.  Discover your local library and Amazon for less expensive books and DVDS

(Well, those are a few of my tips. ) 

Uh,---I too went through a nasty divorce.  My Jerk-of-the-World ex-husband was very abusive and an alcoholic.  As the last abuse he tried to shut me out financially.  He said I deserved no spousal support or child support, even though I'd been married to him many years and had custody of both our natural children.  Of course, the judge thought differently.  smile 

Good luck!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:45 PM
Dh basically threw the kids out with me. Disgusting cow :l

Quoting IndigoRose:

Okay...  My tips are not so much for budgeting as they are for economizing:

---Make soups in big pots and eat those a lot, especially in the winter.  And, use these vegetables, which are always cheap.---carrots, celery, potatoes, cabbage.

---Buy chicken instead of beef or pork.

---Use rags istead of paper towels all the time

---Rent DVDSfrom the library for free.  

---Curb eating out and Starbuck's coffe every morning.  Instead pack your own thermos of fresh-brewed coffee.  Better yet,---switch to balck tea, which is great for you.  100 black teas bags in my area cost only $2.49 and will last you along time.

---Buy at an Aldi.  Their food is great, inexpensive and the choice is amazingly good.

In the summer grow a vegetable garden.  Even if you live in an apartment you can grow patio tomato plant and have fresh tomatoes for your salads.  

---Eat eggs.  Have breakfast for dinner--- scrambled eggs, potato pancakes, or Egg Fu Yung

---Give up pop.  Instead make real lemonade from bottled lemon juice & sugar.

---Take vitamin pills.  You can buy them at the dollar store, if you like.  They're cheap insurance toward good health.

---Don't make unecessary car trips, if you can help it.  Gas is too expensive.  Combine errands.  Or, get a bike and ride it to places in the good weather.

---Use vinegar and water as a household clearner instead of Fantasic or Spic 'n' Span.  Mix it up and put it in a spray bottle.  It's great for cleaning counter tops, floors, mirrors and it's child and pet friendly.

---Hang your clothes to dry on a clothesline, instead of always using the dryer, saves money & energy

---Read instead of playing video games for entertainment.  Discover your local library and Amazon for less expensive books and DVDS

(Well, those are a few of my tips.  

Uh,---I too went through a nasty divorce.  My Jerk-of-the-World ex-husband was very abusive and an alcoholic.  As the last abuse he tried to shut me out financially.  He said I deserved no spousal support or child support, even though I'd been married to him many years and had custody of both our natural children.  Naturally, the judge thought differently.  smile 

Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)