Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what to do??

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 59 Replies
I babysit a 6 month old. baby and the mom constantly holds him and she's always in his view.. so hes very spoiled. She even takes him to the bathroom with her!!! I babysit 5 kids so I can't always hold. him and be in his site. Right now while I'm cooking he's screaming mad crying... Wwyd
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mlg1989
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:47 PM
I would just keep doing what you are doing. He will soon learn that you dont cater to him like mommy does. As long as he is clean, fed and not hurt then crying wont kill him. Just try to make him comfortable with you and try to get his attention on something else without picking him up.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Matriarch87
by Ruby Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:48 PM
5 moms liked this

Its impossible for a child younger than 12 months to be spoiled.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:49 PM
It's impossible to distract him. He has cried for 45 minutes straight while I cooked. Then I picked him up and he ofcourse stopped immediately

Quoting mlg1989:

I would just keep doing what you are doing. He will soon learn that you dont cater to him like mommy does. As long as he is clean, fed and not hurt then crying wont kill him. Just try to make him comfortable with you and try to get his attention on something else without picking him up.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:49 PM
Yea sure whatever

Quoting Matriarch87:

NNB
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:50 PM

If that were my i'd wrap him. Don't let him cry, thats horrible!

gwebkeijmmm
by Ruby Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Make sure all is well, all needs are taken care of and leave him. I've had to deal with this several times in my 10 years of doing daycare and 90% of the time the parents end up thanking me because I break the habit. Make sure you talk with mom about it though. Tell her flat out that you can't hold baby all the time and if that isn't going to work for her, she needs to find someone else. It usually takes about 2 weeks to break the "habit".

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, as a Mom who 'spoils' her babies under 12 months- I wouldn't be leaving my child with you if you have an issue with my parenting :) (Yep, I hold/nurse/love on my babies and one day- they are silly little independent toddlers and one day, they are walking across the stage graduating- so guess I'm not screwing up too bad!)

As is- though- if this Mom trusts you and your babysitting skills, you are just going to have to keep doing what you can. Babies cannot be pre-spoiled by being loved on, but yes, it can be frustrating when you have things to do and the INFANT wants you.

So either deal with it the way you are or tell the Mom she should look for a sitter with a much lighter load :)

mlg1989
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:51 PM
NO!!! Dont because that is what he is trained to do(i hate saying trained but it is what he is!) He will cry even longer now cause he is thinking "hey i cried long enough she eventually picked me up" so he will keep using that tactic to get you to hold him. You just gotta say firm and say no. Do you watch him often or is this just a one time thing?

Quoting Anonymous:

It's impossible to distract him. He has cried for 45 minutes straight while I cooked. Then I picked him up and he ofcourse stopped immediately

Quoting mlg1989:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:51 PM
Really? Lol wow you sound like someone I would not want watching my baby.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yea sure whatever

Quoting Matriarch87:

wolfybaby
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:51 PM

cant spoil a baby, for one. try wearing him. he gets his comfort, you get your hands.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)