Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

socially acceptable way to make my kids suffer?

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:47 PM
  • 68 Replies
I do NOT want me kids to grow up having little to no empathy for the misfortunes of others like I see here. My kids have college funds and trusts set up so they wont have to worry after graduating, however how to teach them or make them understand what being poor is like eludes me. How do you teach someone the shame of begging for help with an electricity bill or from a church for food? How do you make them understand that no one deserves or wants to be in that situation without them experiencing it first hand?? We volunteer/donate etc but thats always a step away from what its really like to feel that desperation.
I was thinking habitat for humanity after graduation to a different country etc but I still dont know if that would sink it in??
Thoughts/ideas???
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
svolkov
by Emerald Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:48 PM
Bump
svolkov
by Emerald Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:50 PM
Anyone?
paigesmommy5264
by Silver Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:50 PM
4 moms liked this
Have them volunteer at a homeless shelter, or at a food bank when old enough.
svolkov
by Emerald Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:52 PM
We do. My 8yo dh and I.

Quoting paigesmommy5264:

Have them volunteer at a homeless shelter, or at a food bank when old enough.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:53 PM
5 moms liked this
My parents took me to Russia for two weeks. We stayed with a 'wealthy' family - they were considered wealthy because they actually had a small house and a car.

My dad took me to Mexico for a total of 4 weeks over a couple of years as well. We visited people who lived in boxes. It was eye opening and life changing.

My parents also made sure that we didn't get everything we wanted - we had to earn it. No allowances or freebies. They made us work for our fun things. Not to mention showing generosity by example. My parents were/are very generous people and we lived off of far, far less than what my dad made because they gave so much away (probably 1/3 of his income went to helping others each year).

ETA: We actually got teased for being poor because we didn't appear to have much. All our clothes were second hand or homemade, my mom was very frugal and grew a garden and we raised some animals for meat. Our van was really old and worn and so was my dad's work car (he had one vehicle that had over 200,000 miles on it at one point). They never told anyone that they did it so they could give to others. They just let the comments go with a smile.
momo3fgr8tteens
by Ruby Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:54 PM
Let them volunteer is a soup kitchen. That is what we had ours do when they were old enough to understand this. My dd also volunteered in an after school tutoring program in a very low socioeconomic school.
icn_mom
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Dont hand them life on a silver platter, make them help themselves.

mich.el.le
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Family friendly missions trips? Going to Haiti for a week and living with the people who have nothing, being immersed in their culture and life.

TheDoctorsWife
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:58 PM
Habitat is a good one. Maybe have them serve food to the homeless.
svolkov
by Emerald Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:59 PM
We dont. But I enjoy being ng able to provide my kids with things I never had. So does dhm my kids also earn stuff too(except my oldest at his dads...exh giveshim fifty dollars a week allowance for nothing ! And hes 8!)

Quoting icn_mom:

Dont hand them life on a silver platter, make them help themselves.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)