Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Things your mom did that you disagree with

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My mom and I were talking today and the subject of bathing came up. She told me that from the time I was born until I was 3 or 4 she bathed me twice a day everyday. I was shocked because I had HORRIBLE excema as a baby and throughout childhood and, well, now I know why.

What are some things that your mom did to you that you would never do?

I'll add:

-She put me to sleep on my stomach as an infant and more than once I stopped breathing.

-She put me in beauty pageants.

-She wouldn't let me play outdoors.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 22, 2013 at 7:48 PM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:03 PM
4 moms liked this
She made us feel ashamed of our bodies.
Tampons were for whores.
Shaving was for sluts who wanted attention.
Periods were not discussed.
Sex was the devil.
But yet I was supposed to find a rich man that didn't give two licks about me as long as he paid my way through life.
She also didn't teach my sister and I essentials. Yes my mother took care of us, but once we were out the door, we were on our own. My sister and I are self taught in cooking, sewing, home maintence, cleaning, all of it. I didn't even really understand anything about the female cycles and body until I was pregnant at 23, no joke I didn't know what ovulation was, it was a forbidden subject in my mothers presence. If you ask her, she is the new age Virgin Mary, she didn't have sex to conceive her three children, they just happened. Also, delivery didn't happen, we just came to be. I eventually learned more about pregnancy and delivery from my father and doctor.
elliotmommytobe
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:03 PM
5 moms liked this
Spanking
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Bethsunshine
by Emerald Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:04 PM
3 moms liked this
The only thing that I can think of is how she has always cleaned up my brother's messes for him and never made him take responsibility for his own actions. He is the most selfish person I know because of it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Everything!!

ambcortez
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Far too many.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:06 PM
4 moms liked this
I'm a poster child for problems caused by formula feeding from weight problems to food allergies to asthma. Of course I'm mad at her for not nursing me.

Quoting Anonymous:

I have never met anyone that as an adult was upset about how they were fed as an infant lmao I hope those "thousand more things" are better reasons than not breastfeeding, for you to cut her out of your life.

Quoting Anonymous:

She didn't breastfeed me because she didn't feel like it & I had horrible allergies to milk. She fed me cow's milk formula eventhough it made me so sick that I would throw it all up & have terrible diarrhea. I was underweight & failure to thrive because of it. Finally someone in the family suggested soy formula & she tried it & I got better & started gaining weight. I really wish she just would have breastfed me instead of having selfish reasons not to. Now that I'm an adult I now see what a selfish person she is. Because of a thousand more things I'm starting the process of cutting her out of my life completly.

Maks1mommy
by Ruby Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:07 PM
The list of things my mom did that I DO agree with is like 50x shorter.
Pushthruthepain
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Quoting faeriemom1972:

It would be easier to name the things that I didn't disagree with :/

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:08 PM
Wow where to begin. Lol
Smoked in the house, in the car with the windows up.
Never researched things such as breastfeeding though I'm sure that's a generational thing.
No car seats or seatbelts, ever.
Left us at home alone at a very young age.
I could go on and on but I think I'll stop there. I do love my mom but she's pretty much the example I used of what not to do.
TugBoatMama
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:08 PM
4 moms liked this

She wouldn't allow me to work at all when I was a teenager. Now I have to explain to potential employers why my work history is pretty non existent. I had a lot of things just handed to me if I wanted them. So when my kids are old enough to want certain extras, they better start looking for a job.

She's always pushed her own beliefs onto us as if we had no minds of our own. I remember the creationist museums we got dragged to, yet she refused to give an evolution exhibit the time of day if we were curious. My kids do believe in god and I'm fine with that, but they will NOT be scientifically illiterate.

She taught us that sex is wrong and nasty, and that it should only be done for the purpose of having babies. That was my sex talk. No mention of menstruation or puberty at all. I got my first period on the soccer field when I was 11. I was bleeding everywhere, and I was scared to death because I had no clue what was happening to me. I was humiliated and in tears.  I will NEVER do that to my dd.  I don't ever want her to feel too scared or ashamed to come to me with anything- even if she knows I won't be thrilled with all her choices.  And I plan on educating her about her body when the time comes, without all that slut-shaming garbage my mom tried to feed me and my sister.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)