Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Things your mom did that you disagree with

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My mom and I were talking today and the subject of bathing came up. She told me that from the time I was born until I was 3 or 4 she bathed me twice a day everyday. I was shocked because I had HORRIBLE excema as a baby and throughout childhood and, well, now I know why.

What are some things that your mom did to you that you would never do?

I'll add:

-She put me to sleep on my stomach as an infant and more than once I stopped breathing.

-She put me in beauty pageants.

-She wouldn't let me play outdoors.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 22, 2013 at 7:48 PM
Replies (41-50):
Pink.Frosting
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:12 PM
1 mom liked this

She didn't believe that little girls should wear anything black, ever.  Even if a dress just had some black on it, nope.  You know those pretty dresses that come out at Christmas with plaids and or red and black color patterns?  According to her, those were innapropriate. 

I have no problem with her make up rules but I think little girls are fine wearing some nail polish.  My mom decided nail polish was a hill to die on and wouldn't let me use it.  I still think it's silly.

I have some differences with her in regards to certain things in our religion, but I won't get into that here.  Let's just say that I think she was a bit legalistic in her expectations and I prefer to use more common sense. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:13 PM
Doing blow and banging dudes instead of taking care of me.
amberlyp
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:13 PM
1 mom liked this
My daughter ONLY sleeps on her stomach. She's never slept on her back. I let her sleep how she's comfortable.

My mom was always "too tired" to do anything. She never went to any school functions and it bothered me that my dad would work ten or twelve hour days an hour from home, come home, make us dinner and take us to our functions. All while my mom sat at home or slept.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KristenFowles
by Ruby Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:13 PM
2 moms liked this

When you were an infant the rule probably was to put babies to sleep on their bellies..

Sleeping only on the back is fairly new...

I wouldn't change anything really about my mom's parenting..

Michaelsmom0522
by Silver Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:13 PM
1 mom liked this
She never pushed us to finish high school, get jobs, move out, get our licenses, be INDEPENDANT. And that's caused a lot of problems into adulthood. But we're okay now just had to work harder than we ever should have
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:13 PM
She mentally and physically abused us.
Pink.Frosting
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Oh, I forgot the biggest thing, lol.  As far as she was concerned, the sun rose and set on me.  She believed that I should be able to go through life without any struggles, simply because I was her daughter and that's what she wanted.  She actually *wanted* me to believe that I was better than other people.  Let's just say I had to get out into the real world and get knocked on my bootie a few times before I realized what a realistic view of myself was.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:16 PM
1 mom liked this

not just my mom  but  I do wish they had pushed a little more for me to do better in school and/or help me further my education. I grew up hearing  the motto "there is nothing wrong with being poor". Other than that they were/are damn good parents.

Isaacsmom913
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:16 PM
2 moms liked this

She didn't just use CIO she would turn a vacuum cleaner on outside my door because my Aunt told her "She can't out scream the vacuum"

As young as kindergarten age I'd be allowed ot play outside all day without supervision-or her knowing where I was.

She only bathed us once a week

She stayed married to my father because "I had you three girls,what else was I to do?"  even though their marriage (though now better) was completely toxic.

wolfybaby
by Silver Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:17 PM

i wish my mom had more support and tried harder to breast feed me. she tells me that the nurses and all her sisters [who had kids before her] were very biased toward formula. she also spanked, which i disagree with. those are the only two things, though. other than that, i am very happy with her choices, like to not vaccinate or medicate me and to let me be outside as much as i wanted. we did a ton of camping, even when i was a young baby.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured