Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Things your mom did that you disagree with

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My mom and I were talking today and the subject of bathing came up. She told me that from the time I was born until I was 3 or 4 she bathed me twice a day everyday. I was shocked because I had HORRIBLE excema as a baby and throughout childhood and, well, now I know why.

What are some things that your mom did to you that you would never do?

I'll add:

-She put me to sleep on my stomach as an infant and more than once I stopped breathing.

-She put me in beauty pageants.

-She wouldn't let me play outdoors.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 22, 2013 at 7:48 PM
Replies (771-780):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 187 on Apr. 5, 2013 at 3:33 PM
I guess it worked then, right? Better than kids being out of control.

Quoting Cdaly12491:

I was spanked more than I felt I should be. My mom used fear. I love her, and I'm not afraid of her now, but as a child I NEVER misbehaved because I didn't want to be spanked. She bathed me a lot more than I bathe my kids, too.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 188 on Apr. 5, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Constantly shipped us off

Partied all the time

Made me miss out on most of HS to raise my sisters.

and now that I'm an adult wants to play mom...no thanks...

Cdaly12491
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 3:39 PM
1 mom liked this

To a certain extent. But I feel that because of how afraid I am of getting in trouble now, I NEVER stand up for myself and I avoid confrontation at any and all costs. I'm not ANTI spanking, by any means, but I've found that my daughters behave better when I treat them respectfully. They get spanked, but only for very serious things - like when they purposely do something they KNOW they shouldn't that is dangerous to themselves or someone else. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Cdaly12491:

I was spanked more than I felt I should be. My mom used fear. I love her, and I'm not afraid of her now, but as a child I NEVER misbehaved because I didn't want to be spanked. She bathed me a lot more than I bathe my kids, too.

eztwins
by Gold Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 3:45 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't have a problem with anything my parents did. Yeah there are things I do differently but I chaulk that up to generational differences. I was allowed around town alone or with friends at like 9-10 years old and we lived in the Bronx. My kids arent allowed but I don't think they were wrong to let me. Times change parenting changes. I didn't sit in a car seat. They weren't a big thing in 1975 that's just the way it was now its different. They were good parents and did what they thought was right at the time. Can't ask for more than that.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 29 on Apr. 5, 2013 at 3:50 PM
I wouldn't have done a lot of what I did had she cared enough to try.

Quoting Anonymous:

Sounds like that was your fault mostly.

Quoting Anonymous:

She was a great mother, until I hit puberty and started getting out of control. Then it was like she couldn't handle me, and just gave up. I'm not blaming all of my actions on her, but I feel that if she had tried to discipline me, I wouldn't have a 4yr old son at 19 with no high school education or anything. I'm not gonna let my kids get away with any of the shit I got away with.
Lutonia
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 4:07 PM
1 mom liked this
I totally agree with that. You can have discipline w/o fear.

Quoting Cdaly12491:

To a certain extent. But I feel that because of how afraid I am of getting in trouble now, I NEVER stand up for myself and I avoid confrontation at any and all costs. I'm not ANTI spanking, by any means, but I've found that my daughters behave better when I treat them respectfully. They get spanked, but only for very serious things - like when they purposely do something they KNOW they shouldn't that is dangerous to themselves or someone else. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Cdaly12491:

iluvalex
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 9:37 PM
I don't remember much about what my mom did the few things I do remember is that she used to punish me by beating my feet and if I didn't cry she would do it harder. She also choice drugs over me.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 189 on Apr. 6, 2013 at 9:38 PM

my mother was not a very good mother when i was growing up. she made ALOT of mistakes. 

I am raising my children the opposite way she raised me lol 

iluvalex
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 9:42 PM
I'm sorry I'm against spanking. There is other ways top discipline kids. If that makes me anti spanking oh fucking well

Quoting Mitzi31:

Jesus Christ I said I wasn't trying to start anything I was just asking an effing question. So many people are so anti spanking and say that is "beating". Apparently you are scared from your childhood. I'm sorry you had to go through that but there is no reason to be a bitch to me. Damn...

Quoting littlesippycup:

O.o One time she kicked me so hard it hurt to walk. One time she beat me with an electrical cord. One time she beat me until I pissed all over myself. I was 7. Does that answer your question? Fuck off moron. If picking a switch was the worst thing to "traumatize" then consider yourself lucky. 

Quoting Mitzi31:

I'm not saying this at all to try to start something but did she really beat you or just spank you? There is a huge difference. I was spanked and even switched (never any welps or anything). I don't blame my mom for it all. I deserved everything I got. I won't be switching my child though. I think that's a little too traumatic especially when you make the child pick out their own switch, lol. I don't feel that I have any issues cause of it I just don't want to do that to my children. Spanking and popping are different to me though if they are done correctly and if they actually work with that particular child. I was one that I'd take a spanking over being grounded or lectured anyday, lol.

Quoting littlesippycup:

She beat us. I don't agree with that.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 190 on Apr. 14, 2013 at 5:18 PM
Mine didn't. She beat the hell out of my sister and I and laughed about it and mocked us crying. My bio mom said "I can't quit my drugs. So you can go live with someone else. Sorry kiddo."

Quoting tracychandonais:

sounds to me like everybody here now has someone to blame for their issues. Guess what? Our moms did the best they could with what they knew.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN