Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

So broke.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 59 Replies
Well, the hubs and I quit our jobs and moved from one state to another, not because we were lazy, but because we had a family emergency. I can't move my grandma so we moved to take care of her. Everything seems to be falling into place. We have our cell phones paid off until May. Our security deposit is paid. April and May are paid. Now, dh is looking for work. He's had several interviews, but a few were scams. One told him she'd call, but hasn't. I told him to call her, but he shook his head and said she told him NOT to call. Ugh. I'm not worried about it. I know he'll find a job, but I hope it's soon. I'm going to have so much to do without him underfoot. I need to unpack. I have to get the kids back on track with homeschooling. I have to take my grandma to multiple doctors appointments as well as my son. I have to contact a lawyer for his SSI. Grandma is like a baby again so I have to give her baths and change diapers. I need to apply for state insurance for grandma and the kids and for temporary food stamps, at least for those two months. Hopefully dh finds a job or two fast and we can get back on track. Wish us luck.

Thanks for the well wishes, suggestions and no bashing. Truly appreciate it. Now, it is 210am here so off to bed I go
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FL2AK
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:41 AM
I hope things work out. Are you the only caregivers for your grandma?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:44 AM

Good luck! And good for you for not putting your Grandma in a nursing home. You'll get through this time and things will become a lot better for you soon.

anlei05
by Ruby Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:44 AM

Wow. You've got a lot on your plate. Good luck to you. Hope Dh finds a job soon.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:46 AM
Yes. I didn't want to put her into care of the state. Her nieces are no help. My dad is dead. My uncle lives across the country. My younger brother can barely care for himself. So grandma's care falls to me and thank God dh loves her and agreed for me to be a stay at home mom while I care for her. She will only qualify for 2 hours of home care a day. Not enough time for me to work, although I currently have a small income of $100 per month for online work which pays for my internet service at work. Between couponing, samples, surveys and my small payment as an independent contractor, I earn/save between $125-200 a month sometimes more.

Quoting FL2AK:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:47 AM
Thank you. While I know not all places are like that, I've heard too many horror stories of mistreatment of elderly patients. I love her too much to want that for her. I do miss working though.

Quoting Anonymous:

Good luck! And good for you for not putting your Grandma in a nursing home. You'll get through this time and things will become a lot better for you soon.

tennisgal
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:48 AM

*hugs* That's a lot. You guys did GREAT planning ahead. Major kudos for that.

Keep plugging away at it and hopefully he finds something soon!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:48 AM
Yes, I do. I was smart enough to find a large apartment big enough for the 5 of us with utilities included. Thank God for that!

Quoting anlei05:

Wow. You've got a lot on your plate. Good luck to you. Hope Dh finds a job soon.

FL2AK
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:49 AM
1 mom liked this
How about you being paid to take care of her? Medicaid does pay for family members to provide care.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes. I didn't want to put her into care of the state. Her nieces are no help. My dad is dead. My uncle lives across the country. My younger brother can barely care for himself. So grandma's care falls to me and thank God dh loves her and agreed for me to be a stay at home mom while I care for her. She will only qualify for 2 hours of home care a day. Not enough time for me to work, although I currently have a small income of $100 per month for online work which pays for my internet service at work. Between couponing, samples, surveys and my small payment as an independent contractor, I earn/save between $125-200 a month sometimes more.

Quoting FL2AK:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2AlexAraya
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:50 AM

Good luck. I hope your dh finds a job soon!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:51 AM
Thank you. I did my best with a limited budget. I am planning to use grandma's SS check to keep us ahead in our rent while he searches. I will pay half of June in April and the other half in May. Thank goodness rent included our utilities.

Quoting tennisgal:

*hugs* That's a lot. You guys did GREAT planning ahead. Major kudos for that.

Keep plugging away at it and hopefully he finds something soon!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)