Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Marriage like your parents?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 47 Replies

Poll

Question: Parents relationship and yours

Options:

Parents stayed married, 1st marriage for me

Parents stayed married, divorced at least once

Parents divorced, on 1st marriage

Parents divorced, divorced at least once

Parents stayed married, Never got married

Parents divorced, never got married

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 89

View Results

I come from a family where there really isn't any divorce. All my siblings, except one, married people who also came from families with no divorce. My brother ended up divorcing but it was more his wife's choice. It was almost like she didn't know how to be married. So,  was wondering how common it is for people from divorced parents to end up also wth a divorce.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
slashteddy
by Platinum Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:19 AM
My parents weren't even married, but my mom divorced my stepdad when I was 8. Everyone in my family is either divorced or in an unhappy, abusive marriage. I really have no good examples of what a marriage should be, so I'm kind of winging it. It's my first and hopefully only, and I feel like we're doing pretty good so far.
ecerka
by Platinum Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:19 AM
1 mom liked this
My parents are still married and I wish my mother would have left my dad years ago. He was an alcoholic who neglected us all. I've been married almost 22 years to a man who is the exact opposite of my dad.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Quoting slashteddy:

My parents weren't even married, but my mom divorced my stepdad when I was 8. Everyone in my family is either divorced or in an unhappy, abusive marriage. I really have no good examples of what a marriage should be, so I'm kind of winging it. It's my first and hopefully only, and I feel like we're doing pretty good so far.

Sorry everyone in your family is so unhappy. :( Good-luck with your marriage. Sounds like it's going well so far. 

IandLoveandYou
by Penny Lane on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:22 AM

My parents are married have never been divorced and are soo in love. I love them :).

I have aunts who have been divorced and are now remarried and have been for a looong time. My moms parents are divorced. I married a douchebag and divorced him real quick. I am now getting married to a wonderful man in 2 months :).

tifbrown
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:23 AM
In my dad's family out of 5 siblings only his youngest sister for divorced. And, out of the 14 grand children there is only one divorce. On my mom's side there is no divorce. My hubby's family has a good few divorces, his mom and dad included. We are happily married and going strong.
Roo1234
by Platinum Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:23 AM
parents divorced when I was 7. mom never remarried, dad married and divorced numerous times.

older sister never married, but in long term relationship-no kids
younger sister was pregnant with second child( same guy) before getting and staying married (18+years)

me-married once for 17+ years and counting
christina0607
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:24 AM

My parents stayed married, my father has passed away and my mother reamained a widow.

My husbands parents are together.

In fact that was really important to me when finding a partner. I would not have married a man whos parents were divorced or he himself was divorced. 

MamaRae85
by *you're on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:24 AM

My dad was divorced, my mom had never been married when they married each other. They've been married 40 years now. None of their children have been divorced. We've all been married for over 5 years.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:26 AM
My parents divorced, but it wasnt until I was an adult and was already married with kids of my own, so I didnt have the "negative" effect that children of divorce experience. This is my first marriage.
honeyrder
by Platinum Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:28 AM
My parents divorced, and I will be the last of their four children to marry and divorce here soon. Two of my siblings have remarried, one has been almost 20 years now. One just has many kids with her current partner (one from marriage). I plan to remarry. Neither of my parents have remarried, and I think that's kinda weird.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)