Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Being alone with your own thoughts will make you go insane....

Posted by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:32 AM
  • 15 Replies

The World’s Quietest Room

Scientists at Minneapolis’ Orfield Labs created their own soundless room, an anechoic chamber. Their studies have found that when putting subjects within the chamber, they begin to hallucinate within 30 minutes. 
With an average quiet room having a sound level of 30 decibels, the anechoic chamber’s sound level is -9 decibels. The ceiling, floor, and walls of the chamber absorb sound rather than have it bounce off as normal objects do. The chamber is so quiet that the subjects can even hear their own organs functioning.
Although extremely interesting, the experience is rather unpleasant. Not one subject has spent more than 45 minutes in the chamber alone. Leaving a person to only their thoughts, the chamber could drive them insane.

by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:36 AM
I think I might like being in there. Might be a nice break to hear myself think.
LectioDivina
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

I think I might like being in there. Might be a nice break to hear myself think.

lol when I first read the article I thought that too

wonderwomanT08
by Ruby Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:38 AM
I would be sleeping in 5 min
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KrissyKC
by Platinum Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Wow, I would spend some time in prayer, and then have a good nap!

LOL!

jillbailey26
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:45 AM

That would be fantastic.  Sign me up!!

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

soontobemommie3
by Gold Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:47 AM
You ain't lying! Lol

Quoting wonderwomanT08:

I would be sleeping in 5 min
Pnukey
by Jenn on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:48 AM

I believe it! However, I might fall asleep and make it longer than 45 minutes.

MomTo2Boys12
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:51 AM
Being in a room like that would drive me nuts. My brain never shuts up, I'm always thinking and it drives me insane when I'm trying to fall asleep at night.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:54 AM

I have become accustomed to a lot of loud noise -  I have four rambunctious boys!!  The kids went to their granny's house last weekend... I haven't had an empty house.... ever.  I always have at least one child with me, even if the kids go to spend time w/ grandparents, one or two will stay home...

Anyway, I came home from work, DH was still at work... the lights were off (no white noise from ceiling fans), the heat/ac unit was not blowing.... no tvs... no children... wow. 

What would you have done with that hour of absolute quiet time? 

I folded laundry and straightened up the boys' rooms.  Yeah, I suck at life.

LectioDivina
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

I have become accustomed to a lot of loud noise -  I have four rambunctious boys!!  The kids went to their granny's house last weekend... I haven't had an empty house.... ever.  I always have at least one child with me, even if the kids go to spend time w/ grandparents, one or two will stay home...

Anyway, I came home from work, DH was still at work... the lights were off (no white noise from ceiling fans), the heat/ac unit was not blowing.... no tvs... no children... wow. 

What would you have done with that hour of absolute quiet time? 

I folded laundry and straightened up the boys' rooms.  Yeah, I suck at life.

I was thinking the same thing, but then I thought, it's not silent.

I imagine they're going insane and hallucinating because they start to hear the blood flow in their head, their liver and kidneys working, then they start to work out what those sounds are then they get worried it sounds strange.. then they have a gas bubble but it sounds like an explosion and they start wondering " WHAT was that??"

lol I don't know... it's strange

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)