Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I don't think Gay couples should get married. *Edit edit

Posted by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 11:15 AM
  • 561 Replies
10 moms liked this

I do however believe that they should be given the same rights as straight couples who are married. The big thing for me is the word marriage, if a gay couple decide they want to spend their lives together let them but don't include God and the church. Have a beautiful ceremony.

Yes the word marriage has been turned legal contract between a man and a woman, why not give another word for same sex couples? I mean arguing saying it is a sin and having gay people saying "I am here and I queer" does not seem to be getting acceptance from either side.

Just my thoughts on this subject.

Someone posted this I agree with this it seems more people would be inclined to agree with this.

How about we call the union sanctioned by the state (both for same and opposite sex couples) a civil union and then we can all call our religious ceremonies whatever we want? If the religious aspect is what makes your marriage a marriage, then you would have no problem changing the name of the legal union right?

Why is it when someone has a different opinion you have to feed them to the dogs. This is my suggestion to a resolution, I have not read any other ideas from the 150+ responses as to how to rectify this situation, why can there be a discussion? Commenting negatively against me does not bring me closer to seeing that my thoughts may be wrong. 

by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 11:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
xomrs.chase
by Ruby Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 11:16 AM
21 moms liked this
How does a gay couple being married affect you?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
teri4lance
by Platinum Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 11:17 AM
26 moms liked this

I think, on a legal standpoint, ALL marriages should be redefined as a civil union, and the term marriage can be de-secularized. that way, any domestic partnership can have the same rights, without that messy little word everyone keeps getting hung up on.

EvilAsh
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 11:17 AM
6 moms liked this

No one cares about your thoughts.

HistoryNutty
by Ruby Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 11:17 AM
23 moms liked this
When I was married, God or the church weren't involved. And we're a heterosexual couple. What then?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 23, 2013 at 11:18 AM
10 moms liked this
Marriage has nothing to do with an imaginary man in the sky.

People have married long before Christians came about.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 23, 2013 at 11:18 AM
1 mom liked this

Okey dokey.  Do you want a cookie?

Deshonsmommy
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 11:18 AM

It does not affect me personally but I do think there would be less of a resistance it this was the case. 

Quoting xomrs.chase:

How does a gay couple being married affect you?

MamaRae85
by *you're on Mar. 23, 2013 at 11:18 AM
13 moms liked this

"Marriage" in the US, is a legal term. If you believe that they should be afforded the rights of any other marriage, you're speaking legally. So a legal marriage shouldn't be a big deal. If you don't think churches should marry them, fine. If you don't believe that God would recognize it as a marriage, fine. But churches don't own the legal term "marriage".

KelliansMom
by Platinum Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 11:18 AM
10 moms liked this

My church does perform and recongize same sex marriages :)

jaytee
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 11:18 AM
3 moms liked this
When two people get married it doesn't necessarily involve a church and God. Just sayin
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)