Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

HOA wants me to get rid of my dogs!! Edit. EDIT again in red

Posted by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 5:10 PM
  • 239 Replies

I've had my pitbull since she was 4 weeks old. She's 4 YEARS old now. We also have a retriever/husky mix who is 4 Months old. And we've lived in our condo now for a year. Now we get a letter in the mail that says we aren't allowed to have dogs anymore. Most of the people in our complex have dogs. That's why we all chose these apartments, because they allowed dogs and not a lot of others do.

wtf do I do now? Do they just expect everyone to drop their dogs off at the humane society and say Bon Voyage? What would you do?

EDIT: Sorry I might not have been clear enough. We lease from the condo owner. And the lease is up at the end of April. 

EDIT AGAIN: Wow, you people are vicious. Lol. Seriously, you just love tearing people down when they need help, don't you. I would call you Ladies, but it's clear you are not (Obviously not meant for the ladies who actually gave decent, kind advice).

There's nothing wrong with having 2 toddlers in a room and an infant co sleeping (he does have his own crib in our room). And the dogs are just fine with the 1000+ sqft we have. And they go out 2+ times a day for walks and to the dog park 100 yards away from our front door. Not everyone can afford to have a nice big house with 1 kid to a bedroom and a yard. We all make due with what we have.

My home is not a pig stye. There are no buggers on the walls. No pet stains on the carpets or walls. And Everyone was perfectly happy with all of this until we got that stupid letter in the mail. They didnt say why they decided to change the rules and I don't think it has anything to do with our dog's breed. 

Our lease says we may have our dogs, we even payed separate deposits for BOTH of them. And for anyone who obviously doesn't know what a LEASE is, here is the definition straight from the dictionary: a contract renting land, buildings, etc., to another; a contract or instrument conveying property to another for a specified period or for a period determinable at the will of either lessor or lessee in consideration of rent or other compensation.

by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 5:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fkh8ah
by Felicia on Mar. 23, 2013 at 5:12 PM
Whats HOA? (i live in a closed up lil bubble sorry)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
randi1978
by Murdoc's Mistress on Mar. 23, 2013 at 5:12 PM
2 moms liked this

Tell them to fuck off.

soon2bmomof3619
by Tinkerbell on Mar. 23, 2013 at 5:12 PM
9 moms liked this

Maybe try to get a petition together from all the dog owners that love their pets and consider them family. At least to be able to have a grandfather rule, such as any dogs that are currently there can stay, but no more dogs in the future?

soon2bmomof3619
by Tinkerbell on Mar. 23, 2013 at 5:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Home owners association.

Quoting fkh8ah:

Whats HOA? (i live in a closed up lil bubble sorry)

CjEmmemommy
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Hide them till we could move I suppose. 

BrittSam2011
by Platinum Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 5:14 PM
2 moms liked this

Lol that's what my DH said.

Quoting randi1978:

Tell them to fuck off.

LiesLiesLies
by Platinum Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 5:15 PM
1 mom liked this
And then get a ticket and kicked out. Sounds perfect.

Quoting randi1978:

Tell them to fuck off.

LiesLiesLies
Exactly.

The mature route gets you further.

Quoting soon2bmomof3619:

Maybe try to get a petition together from all the dog owners that love their pets and consider them family. At least to be able to have a grandfather rule, such as any dogs that are currently there can stay, but no more dogs in the future?

MumsTheWord571
1 mom liked this
My DHs apartment (before we married) was like that when he moved in they allowed pets, then everyone got a letter. However, the people who already had pets were exempt since their lease said they could have pets and their new leases when they renewed weren't allowed to say they couldn't have their pets. Check to see if there is a grandfather clause.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 23, 2013 at 5:15 PM
Shouldn't they have grandfathered all previous pets in? Animals are family too- I like the petition idea
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)