Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Scary Movies aren't Scary anymore

Posted by   + Show Post

my sister told me about this movie she watched the other day - Sinister.  She said it was sooo disturbing and she had to get her husband to walk out to the living room when it was over and walk with her back to her room - then sleep with the lamp on.  So I watched it with dh - he fell asleep and it wasn't scary. Plus it made me mad bc I hate scary movies that keep houses dark the entire time - even during the day.  Most people keep lights on thru out the day even in the brightest part of the day and they certainly don't go wondering around in their dark house to figure out 'what that noise was', and to me, its cheating - like you must not tell a good story or have a really talented director if you have to keep it dark for it to be 'scary',. if you kwim.  Anyway,. I know I'm rambling,. have you seen any truly scary movies lately?  Whats the scariest movie you've ever seen?

by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 11:36 PM
Replies (41-50):
2metalbabies
by Gold Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 1:24 AM
Yeah, but its based very loosely on actual events. But then again so were paycho, the aminityville horror, Texas chainsaw, silent house, jaws, the hills have eyes, wolf creek, mothman, funny games, the list goes on and on.
To me, there are no such things as scary movies any more. Personally, I thought sinister was a nicely done movie, with enough implied violence to make your mind go crazy trying to figure out what you missed. To me, that makes things scary, making your mind do the work

Quoting wulfeyes05:If that's the one with the three people in masks it did happen. Based on a true story.
Quoting Anonymous:The strangers because that can happen.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
2metalbabies
by Gold Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 1:26 AM
Event horizon is one of my all time favorite movies. It was the first DVD I ever bought and my hubby hated me for a month after I frame by framed every last transmission from the previous crew!

Quoting Freela:

I love scary movies, but seldom find one that actually scares me, and I find that what scares one person may be 'meh' for another person. The only movie that ever freaked me out to the point of not being able to sleep was Event Horizon, and I think it's because eye-gouging is the one thing I really cringe about in horror movies and that movie had a lot of it (mainly self-inflicted too.... could NOT take out my contacts that night!)

Jaxsonsmama2009
by Gold Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 1:28 AM
What the night knows is scary like that too. Totally different subject but so scary I slept with my bathroom light on like a baby. Lets just say I didn't want to be in the dark bathroom with the mirrors. Eek!

Quoting theosgirl45:

Me too! I couldn't sleep until I finished it lol.

Quoting Jaxsonsmama2009:

Yes. It totally freaked me out

Quoting theosgirl45:

The taking, was that the one about aliens?  And in the end it was somewhat religious?

Quoting Jaxsonsmama2009:

I thought sinister was scary but noticed that same thing. I was like 'is their power out???'. Lol. A couple of books have scared me. The taking and what the night knows by dean koontz are so scary. Ugh

theosgirl45
by Platinum Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 1:29 AM

I have that one but I haven't read it yet.  I love Dean Koontz, Stephen King, and John Saul.  They write some scary stuff.

Quoting Jaxsonsmama2009:

What the night knows is scary like that too. Totally different subject but so scary I slept with my bathroom light on like a baby. Lets just say I didn't want to be in the dark bathroom with the mirrors. Eek!

Quoting theosgirl45:

Me too! I couldn't sleep until I finished it lol.

Quoting Jaxsonsmama2009:

Yes. It totally freaked me out

Quoting theosgirl45:

The taking, was that the one about aliens?  And in the end it was somewhat religious?

Quoting Jaxsonsmama2009:

I thought sinister was scary but noticed that same thing. I was like 'is their power out???'. Lol. A couple of books have scared me. The taking and what the night knows by dean koontz are so scary. Ugh

MrsThebus
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 1:30 AM
1 mom liked this
Sinister was terrible... We had several people tell us it was so scary and they'd never watch it again lol. I've been a horror movie fan since I was a kid and nothing beats 80's horror movies. While nothing is scary to me though that era of movies is probably the best. There's been a couple of decently made horror movies the last few years but not many.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 24, 2013 at 1:31 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

The strangers because that can happen.

Omg I hate that movie...... lol

wulfeyes05
by Ruby Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 3:09 AM

Jaws lol story about a great white in real life it was a bull shark(s) still a great movie

Quoting 2metalbabies:

Yeah, but its based very loosely on actual events. But then again so were paycho, the aminityville horror, Texas chainsaw, silent house, jaws, the hills have eyes, wolf creek, mothman, funny games, the list goes on and on.
To me, there are no such things as scary movies any more. Personally, I thought sinister was a nicely done movie, with enough implied violence to make your mind go crazy trying to figure out what you missed. To me, that makes things scary, making your mind do the work

Quoting wulfeyes05:If that's the one with the three people in masks it did happen. Based on a true story.
Quoting Anonymous:The strangers because that can happen.

crumpy_gat
by No. on Mar. 24, 2013 at 3:48 AM

I liked Sinister.  It didn't scare me, but it was definitely creepy as fuck.  I think we are desensitized and want more more more, so we're harder to please.

momto2crazykids
by Silver Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 3:51 AM
1 mom liked this

the scariest movie i ever saw was Darkness Falls aka as the tooth fairy movie

xXxLillithxXx
by Gold Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 3:54 AM
1 mom liked this
The fourth kind..it really creeped me out. I think people now are really desensitized to scary stuff and its like....everything has been done. I like watching paranormal witness...that show is awesome.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN