Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

does your child do this?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 22 Replies
Or have they done it.

My lo keeps calling other people mommy. Even his father. But mostly every now and then he calls his half sister it. Its not consistant with anyone but me. Like he literally calls me mommy every time. .he's 3 and its starting to cause issues with sd because she lets it go to her head and she's been telling everyone that my son really thinks she's his mommy not me. There is no reason though she doesn't do anything for him .I've been telling her that its not that he thinks your his mommy he just calls everyone that sometimes even dh.
I also talked to ds about it but I think he's too young to understand.

Is this normal? Will he grow out of it? Does your child do this?

What can I do to stop him?
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:36 AM
Bump
LovelyMommy24
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:38 AM
My children haven't. Here's a bump for some answers!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
firespurity
by Ruby Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:39 AM
My daughter did it, but I think she had outgrown it will before 3. I think it's probably a term of endearment for him.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
nysa76
by Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:39 AM

My kids did it very briefly.  I think just for reactions and it's also pretty easy to say.  It was short lived and I firmly believe that at 3 most kids can understand who Mommy is as well as a brief discussion on not calling others that.

alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:41 AM

My kids didn't but here is a bump.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:45 AM
:-( I have a feeling sd has been telling my ds to call her that. Because he always called her sissy before and everytime she has time with him like if I leave the room to pee or make a phone call I come back and he's starts calling her that again.

She does have a ego problem. She's always told my family members that she looks after him more than I do but I'm a sahm I'm with him 24/7 I do all the looking after him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sheena696
by Platinum Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:45 AM

My son did it with my mother. lol I would keep calling her momma instead of mawmaw so he got to calling her momma too for a little while. My nephew will call people mommy. He knows who his momma is, but he kinda confused that asking for something and saying mommy is what gets it. That and he is just so used to saying "thank you mommy" or just "mommy" when he wants something that I really think it just slips out simply due to habit. He will outgrow it. When it happened with my son it made me sad because I was working then so my mom kept my son so it felt like he thought she was his mom too. Even though I knew that wasn't the case, it still broke my heart a little thinking that. I would just keep emphasizing names, gently correcting and eventually he will stop. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:51 AM
Its really depressing :-(
KMadsen
by Gold Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:56 AM

my daughter calls other ladies mom/mommy. she's 18 months though. maybe just dont make a big deal out of it or reiterate that sd is ________ not mommy when he calls her that.

inspain
by Platinum Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Nope.  Mine never did it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)