Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Religion before the Bible

Posted by   + Show Post
There are myriad misconceptions regarding Catholicism and Christianity floating about.

One should never argue the Bible with a Catholic bc our religion BEGAN w Jesus which means BEFORE the Bible was written.

Catholicism is based on the Eucharist, not the Bible.
We worship only the Holy Trinity.
We pray for Saints to intercede for us which means we ask Saints to pray for us too.
Saints include your deceased loved ones, not just Mary.
Ok, what other misconceptions are there?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:44 AM
Replies (31-38):
daisykat
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:13 PM
Quoting delilahsmom1177:

There are probably two reasons he doesn't respect your beliefs. One, he doesn't understand them. Two, he understands them but is too friggin' stubborn and narrow-minded to accept that we're all wanting the same thing- to live peacefully, to not be harassed, to find happiness and, hopefully, go to heaven (or the summerland) when we die. It's too bad. Thanks for the tip about the Kingdom Hall thing, though. Maybe I'll call.
delilahsmom1177
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Exactly.... Your welcome for the tip. I'm not sure how true it is but you can try.

Quoting daisykat:

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

There are probably two reasons he doesn't respect your beliefs. One, he doesn't understand them. Two, he understands them but is too friggin' stubborn and narrow-minded to accept that we're all wanting the same thing- to live peacefully, to not be harassed, to find happiness and, hopefully, go to heaven (or the summerland) when we die. It's too bad. Thanks for the tip about the Kingdom Hall thing, though. Maybe I'll call.

I'm a tattooed,pagan,pro-choice,pro-legalizing marijuana,pro-gay marriage,anti-war,non-vaxing,tree hugging,animal loving,book reading,animal testing free,depression battling, trying to raise a free spirit and letting her be who she is but still teaching her important life lessons,fighting for equal rights at the same time,don't like it get over it.

KayDziedzic
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Transubstantiation (the ritual of changing food/drink into the body/blood of a diety and then eating it), ie, the eucharist, wasn't part of the Catholic faith and tradition until almost 1200 years after Christ's death. The Catholic doctrine says that Jesus Christ founded the Catholic church.  So how can the church be founded on the Euacharist (Holy Communion) if Holy communion wasn't part of the the church doctrine until 1215 AD? (Note:  Transubstantiation is an ancient pagan ritual that has existed long before it was adopted by the Catholic church.)

Also, modern "catholics" are ROMAN catholics. (All Roman catholics are Christians, but not all Christians are Roman catholics.)

The "Catholic church" that is headed by the pope is actually the ROMAN Catholic church. The denomination came into existence when Rome's leaders met with the leaders of what would become the Vatican, and redefined what the religion would be, in order to make the people's transition into Roman rule a bit more streamlined.

The specifics you mention in the original post were not teachings of Jesus-- they are man-made rules and traditions that were created by men hundreds of years after Christ's death.

Prayers to angels and dead saints did not exist in the early church. Prayer is a form of worship. Prayer to them wasn't adopted by the Catholic church until about 350 years after Christ's death. Praying to and for the dead is an ancient pagan custom that was not taught or promoted by Jesus Christ.

Worshiping Mary, Jesus' mother, and the term "Mother of God" was adopted by the church 400 years after Christ's death.

Paying penance (including being required to offer a certain number of a certain type of prayer) is contrary to the teachings of Jesus Christ.

The papacy and the title of 'pope' was created by and given to the bishop of Rome by a Roman emperor who did so to spite another bishop who had excommunicated him from Constantinople for an assassination the emperor was responsible for. Jesus specifically forbade the notion that there be an appointed head of the apostles.

Catholicism is NOT based on the Eucharist. It is based on the man-made laws determined by non-believing leaders in ancient Rome, as is proven in the most basic historical research and knowledge of the New Testament. I'm not saying that Catholicism is wrong (no belief system is wrong), but claiming that Catholicism is based on the teachings of Jesus Christ, particularly at the last supper, IS wrong in that it is inaccurate. Catholicism is based on man made laws (most of which were adopted hundreds of years after Christ's death) that are often more similar to the teachings of the worshippers of the ancient Roman gods, than they are to the teachings of Jesus Christ; and many of which contradict the teachings of Christ.

HousewifeNina
by Platinum Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 6:48 PM
My formal education is the liberal arts w a bachelors in education.

In life, yes I have read about other religions.
And no, in religious classes we do not.discuss pagans etc.

Quoting OneToughMami:

So your education does not extend passed the Catholic Church?

Quoting HousewifeNina:

No, we don't learn about Paganism in the Catholic Church. We also do not learn everything we "borrowed" from groups before us.

And no, not abeltered

Quoting SpiritedWitch:

Really? Don't take this the wrong way, but have you led a sheltered life and that includes not learning about the history of Christianity and Catholicism? 

Quoting HousewifeNina:

I didn't know what a pagan was until cafemom

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

Oagans are devil worshipers. I hate that misconception... I had to explain my entire belief system to my father the other night beause of this.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OneToughMami
by Ruby Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 7:24 PM

So you didn't have a comprehensive religion course is what you are saying.

Quoting HousewifeNina:

Quoting OneToughMami:

Quoting HousewifeNina:

No, we don't learn about Paganism in the Catholic Church. We also do not learn everything we "borrowed" from groups before us.

And no, not abeltered

Quoting SpiritedWitch:

Really? Don't take this the wrong way, but have you led a sheltered life and that includes not learning about the history of Christianity and Catholicism? 

Quoting HousewifeNina:

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

Oagans are devil worshipers. I hate that misconception... I had to explain my entire belief system to my father the other night beause of this.

Like wrestling? Click my siggy!

HousewifeNina
by Platinum Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 8:32 PM
No I did not take any history of religion in U. Did you? Which school? Which classes? Which degree?

Quoting OneToughMami:

Quoting HousewifeNina:

Quoting OneToughMami:

Quoting HousewifeNina:

And no, not abeltered

Quoting SpiritedWitch:

Quoting HousewifeNina:

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
OneToughMami
by Ruby Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 8:35 PM

I did. I took a few different ones...6...yeah 6x3=18 and 18 where I did my undergrad is a minor...actually I had 7 classes lol but either way Religious Studies is my minor...from a private school...Cedar Crest...my BA is in US History.

Quoting HousewifeNina:

No I did not take any history of religion in U. Did you? Which school? Which classes? Which degree?

Quoting OneToughMami:

Quoting HousewifeNina:

Quoting OneToughMami:

Quoting HousewifeNina:

And no, not abeltered

Quoting SpiritedWitch:

Quoting HousewifeNina:

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

Like wrestling? Click my siggy!

starlight91
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 8:40 PM

I dont understand why it matters to others that dont believe in something  when a certian belief started, that were ALL started somehow, sometime by someone. Its not like all religions or beliefs are not equal in that aspect.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN