Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Dogs and guests

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 74 Replies

I am having family from both my side and DH's side over on Easter. Every time MIL comes over, she wants me to lock my dog, Lucy, in a room. Lucy is a 7 year old Lab. I have had her since she was 8 weeks old she has NEVER bitten anyone nor has she ever shown aggression (with the exception of when another dog tried to attack DD (3 at the time) and she fought the dog off). But with people in our home, she has never been a problem, she doesn't even jump up or beg for food, Lucy has very good manners. MIL has 2 dogs but they are Yorkie Chiwawa mixes, the jump up and nip at everyone but MIL thinks they are safe because they are small and Lucy is dangerous because she is big.

When Lucy gets locked in a room however, she gets very anxious, especially knowing that there are people in the house, she wants to check it out and make sure everything is ok, plus she wants to see everyone and make friends. She gets so upset that the last 2 times, she threw up and didn't act right for days. The first time I thought maybe it was a coincidence but when it happened the second time I knew it wasn't.

This time, it is not going to happen, Lucy lives here, MIL doesn't and Lucy has never given anyone a reason to think she would hurt anyone. I told DH that either he can call and tell his mom or I will that I will not be locking Lucy up anymore. She is welcome to come but she will come with the understanding that Lucy will be out and about.

While he agrees that it is unfair to Lucy to be locked up, he doesn't want to upset his mother. I said "ok, so you would rather upset your wife"? Is it too much to ask that a grown woman be ok around a safe, friendly dog?

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 24, 2013 at 11:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KristenFowles
by Ruby Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 11:32 AM
14 moms liked this

It's your house. 

Offer to lock MIL up if she doesn't want the dog near her.  Ensure her that you'll bring her food and water.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 24, 2013 at 11:36 AM

BUMP!

bluemountain75
by SoftballMom on Mar. 24, 2013 at 11:38 AM
Your house your dog. The audacity of some people.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Matty1966
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 11:38 AM
Is the MIL bringing her dogs? This is where crate training pays off, my dogs could care less if they're crated even if people come over. Your dog is a part of your family, she just needs to accept that! If your dog begged, annoyed and was hyper I could understan MIL wanting her locked up, but not if she's a well behaved dog! As far as you DH goes, pick and choose your battles, she will always be his mom.......
megandwade
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 11:41 AM
1 mom liked this

Personally I know if I am afraid of a dog, and the family will not lock the dog up I will not enter their house. Dogs sense fear and I'm afraid once they sense fear on me they may be more leary of me and may even attack.

Even if I am told the dog is friendly.. It is not my dog and I do not trust any dog that I am afraid of. If it has teeth, it can bite.

I have 2 Pit Bulls of my own. It is not often that I am afraid of a dog, but sometimes it does happen. Certain dogs just give me weird vibes.

My son's headstart teacher is scared to death of my dogs. Although, I think they are the sweetest dogs you have ever met I would never expect anyone to be afraid of them in my household so I do lock them away when she comes for her visits. Even though my male has separation anxiety and tears my bedroom up when he is locked in there..

If you mother inlaw does not feel safe around your dog, you cannot force her to. If you refuse to lock your dog away (which I understand) it is probably best that your mother in law does not come for dinner.

thetrollcat
by Meow on Mar. 24, 2013 at 11:42 AM

My inlaws hate animals. So they have rarely ate dinner here as a holiday dinner they do attend parties (birthdays and what not) which is fine with me and hubby we just go to their house. I prefer that because then I dont have to cook or clean (LOL)....

My family on the other hand we are all animal lovers so we all have pets of some kind or form. So they are very adaptive to coming over for the holidays and what not. I have two cats and a pug but when the siberians were alive the family loved our dogs. They were treated as part of the family.

My youngest brother has a service dog which has to be with him at all times so it works out great for us on my family side.

I think if you have a family member that is allergic you have to make exceptions. My hubby's brother has severe allergies comes over for visits thats it. Understandable. But he doesnt completely avoid us and no I do not lock up the animals, he has always done fine when he comes to visit.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 24, 2013 at 11:43 AM

No, she doesn't bring her dogs. Lucy doesn't go in a crate. I personally don't like the idea of them but the reason she was never crate trained is because I got her when I was 17, of course I still lived with my mom and her rules were no dogs in crates, if you can't teach them to behave, you don't need a dog, get a cat.

As far as my DH, what pisses me off is basically, he is choosing his mother's feelings over mine in our home

Quoting Matty1966:

Is the MIL bringing her dogs? This is where crate training pays off, my dogs could care less if they're crated even if people come over. Your dog is a part of your family, she just needs to accept that! If your dog begged, annoyed and was hyper I could understan MIL wanting her locked up, but not if she's a well behaved dog! As far as you DH goes, pick and choose your battles, she will always be his mom.......

elarsen4eva
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 11:43 AM
When people come to my house and bitch about my dogs (or how clean it is or w/e) I just tell them its my house or they're my animals not its if u don't like it u don't have to be here
MIL doesn't like dog hair and bitches about it every time she comes over or we come over and something has hair on it
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 24, 2013 at 11:44 AM

it is YOUR HOUSE!!! my bil and sil bring their two all the times. the last time- i told the bil- no more bringing the dogs unless you bring their crates.. my dog was very old the last time they were here. so we would leave his food out, the bil would move it. their dogs were trying to take the food from the plates, ect, .  even if i do get another dog- their dogs will not be allow to roam my house like in the past.

banana-bear
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 11:45 AM
1 mom liked this
Am I the only one that hopes she bites the shit out of MIL?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)